Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Removing acd system and installing non acd transfer case

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this just a drag racing thing? Hirayama-san, Nakajima-san, and Unlimited works, all of them have removed their ACD.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on doing a clutch soon, and I am contemplating doing this. One, because my TC is perfectly fine now, I am sure I could sell it. Two, I would like the weight savings and less worries of the pump failing etc. Three, since I will have the tranny out for the clutch, I figure why not? Can anyone here tell me what else needs to be done besides swapping the TC's? Does the ACD Ecu need to be removed etc???
Old Nov 6, 2010, 04:41 PM

Would it make a difference in bad weather.......like snow?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

I did not want to start another thread, but outside driving in a straight line, what would be the advantage/disadvantage of doing this mod? I know you don't have to worry about the pump failing, etc. But assuming your pump has not failed and has no reason to, why would you want to make the swap?

-Jalal
Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
I did not want to start another thread, but outside driving in a straight line, what would be the advantage/disadvantage of doing this mod? I know you don't have to worry about the pump failing, etc. But assuming your pump has not failed and has no reason to, why would you want to make the swap?

-Jalal
1. I don't drive in snow or on gravel.
2. One less thing to worry about repairwise.
3. Shaves a decent amount of weight (I think around 15-20lbs???)
4. Much easier to get the non-acd tc out than an acd. (It's bigger)
5. If you sell your ACD tc and pump, you can recoup some money on a decent non-ACD build.
6. Alot of earlier downpipes wouldn't fit with the acd tc.

This is all I could think of for right now, but maybe someone else can chime in.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

anyone ever done this an still uses stock ecu? what needs to be removed other than the pump and the lines? do u need to remove the acd ecu?

thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_gerard
anyone ever done this an still uses stock ecu? what needs to be removed other than the pump and the lines? do u need to remove the acd ecu?

thanks!
If you remove the ACD case there is no reason to not remove the ACD computer. It is a sellable item and the removal also turns the ACD lights off.

Don
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

my Tcase has the Death whine and the clutches inside the case are Shyt, SOOO i just listed my ACD pump on ebay, im done with ACD im going with the 04 RS Tcase for sure.
no more issues, with Tcase or ACD being a pain. i think its more then 15lbs of wieght thou, gunna weight my new Tcase and see when it gets here. Switching out the ACD dash, with the TrustZ non acd one too, also taking out the ACD switch and putting in the foglight switch, it will look as if ACD was never even on it.

Also ACD Tcase with death whine and messed up clutchs FS!!!! LOL makes a decent core!

Last edited by blowngasket; Jan 8, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
my Tcase has the Death whine and the clutches inside the case are Shyt, SOOO i just listed my ACD pump on ebay, im done with ACD im going with the 04 RS Tcase for sure.
no more issues, with Tcase or ACD being a pain. i think its more then 15lbs of wieght thou, gunna weight my new Tcase and see when it gets here. Switching out the ACD dash, with the TrustZ non acd one too, also taking out the ACD switch and putting in the foglight switch, it will look as if ACD was never even on it.

Also ACD Tcase with death whine and messed up clutchs FS!!!! LOL makes a decent core!
Fog Light Switch? I would love to get rid of my ACD switch. Please educate me.

Don
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Aren't some of the components for the ACD system in the transmission (I don't feel like looking up the diagram right now but I thought there were)?

In going to a non-ACD system, is the center differential just an open differential then?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunr
Fog Light Switch? I would love to get rid of my ACD switch. Please educate me.

Don
Sure, here is one They have a dimmer one, and a push style one. im getting the push style cause im going to actualy add fog lights or some sort of lights somewheres.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-Mitsub...45aa75&vxp=mtr

Here is another View and prolly the one im going to use, Except I replaced my mirrors so i use the TrustZ gauge Dimmer switch in the place for the mirror switch cause i went to the carbon fiber mirrors. Should turn out pretty good once i get better with my 3d printer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-MITSUB...5066cd&vxp=mtr

nothing in the trans is different,The trans has a open diff with spider gears, not sure of how strong it is i do know of people who have welded them and have TOTALLY REGRETED IT FOR STREET USE. i am however putting in the Quaife Center Diff in my trans at this time aswell, got a great deal on it on ebay so, and mine was jack up [stock] Cause the damn Tcase was spinning the driver side shaft crazy inside my old Center diff it chewed it all up. So i got new shafts from a member on here, a new Tcase and a Quafie Center Differential. The Tcase ive got is a 04 with a Quafie Front diff in it.

Last edited by blowngasket; Jan 8, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
Sure, here is one They have a dimmer one, and a push style one. im getting the push style cause im going to actualy add fog lights or some sort of lights somewheres.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-Mitsub...45aa75&vxp=mtr

Here is another View and prolly the one im going to use, Except I replaced my mirrors so i use the TrustZ gauge Dimmer switch in the place for the mirror switch cause i went to the carbon fiber mirrors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-MITSUB...5066cd&vxp=mtr
I am confused, what lights does this operate? Is the wiring already their?

Thank You for you help, Don
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunr
I am confused, what lights does this operate? Is the wiring already their?

Thank You for you help, Don
you would have to add the lights, no wirering would be present. but thats easy to do anyway. Some Evos have Foglights, i beleive even one on the rear bumper, but i think thats a hard bumper to come across. So your better off just putting in some new lights in, if you like or use it as a switch for something else or a dimmer or a on/off for anything really.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I'd be interested in hearing from some folks on Non ACD vs ACD for road course use.
Less complexity aside.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just to be sure, when doing the swap just a non-acd t-case is needed?
Where is the acd ecu located??

Quick Reply: Removing acd system and installing non acd transfer case