Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me read my spark plugs please...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me read my spark plugs please...

Finally getting around to performing my 60K service and pulled the plugs. I've never been very good at reading them so I'm forwarding this on to the community.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Reading plugs is kind of archaic. They only show what the car was doing when it was run last. It's good on a drag car when you shut it down right after a pass, but if you idle it back to the pits your plugs will show how it's idling not WOT. If your car is only lightly modified I'd let the computer worry about the combustion events, if it's more extreme you'll see everything you need with a wideband.

That said, some of the plugs look a little darker than what I normally see. Those would probably be a little rich, which is good if you did actually pull them right after WOT. All I can see is a 7 on the part number. If those are a 7 heat range you need to go back to a 6. Mods?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:35 AM

Mods: Previous owner put on an intake - looks similar to BR - old filter separated from MAF adapter plate. I doubt it was tuned.

Those plugs are factory on Evo IX engines - NGK ILFR7H

Thanks for the feedback. I anticipated a rich mixture from factory.

Thanks again,

Paul