Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Electric Power steering

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electric Power steering

Has anyone put an ELECTRIC power steering rack in their Evo? I know some new cobalts and Toyota MR2 s had electric power steering instead of hydraulic pump ran off the belt. I would like to see a conversion.
Ron G.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a lot of the newer GM cars have the option for electric power steering also (cobalt, malibu, equinox and even some saturns) I jus had to replace one on a cobalt last week under warranty...the motor is mounted right onto the column inside the car so im not sure how easy a conversion to an evo would actually be...a lot of custom fabrication would have to be involved
Old May 2, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Rack on cobalt similar size?

Is just the electric motor on column? with lines to rack? If you could take a pic next time I would be very grateful. Removing a Evo column is not very difficult I have done it once or twice. I was just looking at a way to save some Hp losses from the power steering being run off the accesory drive belt.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
There are two different methods used to implement electrically assisted steering.

Electro-hydraulic hybrid systems: An electric pump provides hydraulic fluid pressure to a conventional power steering rack and pinion system.

Direct electric motor assistance: An electric motor drives a gear system to provide assistance. The motor is either designed as a screw drive gear into the rack or is an add-on gear drive system that is between (or part of) the column and a manual rack and pinion system.

The direct drive system requires a torque and/or position sensing system. These systems often have to be programmed to provide a more conventional steering feel since the direct assistance will often eliminate all steering feedback to the driver. The loss of position or torque sensing can also result in "run-away" steering where the electrical drive system does what ever it feels like. GM, Toyota, Mazda and a few others I believe have had several different safety recalls for this issue.

The electric-hydraulic assistance provides a steering feel similar to a conventional power steering system. Position and torque sensing is elective and often not used on these systems as a natural feedback feel is obtained without them.
Old May 2, 2010, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

This is fairly interesting as it would clean up the engine bay a lot by being able to have a remote pump somewhere.
Old May 2, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone done this conversion

So has anyone done this? If so would you post up pictures and maybe a how to?
Old May 2, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVODreams
This is fairly interesting as it would clean up the engine bay a lot by being able to have a remote pump somewhere.
and put the pump motor in the trunk?
Old May 2, 2010, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

There are numerous honda guys that have done this using the MR2 pump. Also, the electric vehicle conversions guys have come up with several solutions to this issue.

There is one aspect that needs to be addressed though and it's how do you drive the water pump and alternator with the PS pulley gone? To me, it seems pointless to eliminate the PS pump and then replace it with some idler pulley.

If I ever eliminate the PS pump for an electric pump, I will be doing it at the same time as I replace the water pump with an electric pump. I'll also be adding on a high output alternator at that time.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

I'm gonna bump this up again, has anybody tried this at all?

http://honda-tech.com/road-racing-au...steer-2222562/

Considering picking up a pump myself and trying it... Input?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkcolgan
I'm gonna bump this up again, has anybody tried this at all?

http://honda-tech.com/road-racing-au...steer-2222562/

Considering picking up a pump myself and trying it... Input?
Look at my build thread, I installed buschur racings kit. It uses a Porsche cup car pump.

This should work.

Only thing is that the mr2 pump may draw too much power from the alternator. So you'd need a higher output one. Not sure though.

As for connections ground, alternator power and signal. Just use the signal from the oem pump.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

I was working on a production kit for a long time but decided it wasn't worth it because the cost of the pumps and the mounting location. I had an mr2 pump mounted where the ACD pump would be on an acd car. Used, the pumps can be had for under $300.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
ACDelco 93179568 GM

I did some research on this considering doing on my own car. In the end decided I didnt want to run an upgraded alternator. you cant just add something electrical that can draw 50amps and not think about upgrading the system to handle it. I would not use mr2 pump. that pump and most pumps gather information from sensors to gauge how much tq output is needed. the style of pump you want to use is one that internally senses tq needed. the porsche cup pump is like this. they are very pricey used. so I set out to find a more affordable option. I came up with this pump that comes on a saturn vehicle. they are affordable new.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Let's put this out there first, the 90's MR2 pump is not the pump you want to use. It is a simple pump that is heavy and requires a sperate ECU. The pump worth talking about is out of the 2000+ Toyota MR-2 spyder (MR-S).

The MR-S pump works just like the Porsche pump does. Neither of them sense steering torque though. They sense something related to line pressure (likely pump drive current) and when pressure drops they react to try and keep pressure constant (or a mapped pressure based on vehicle speed.)

The MR-S pump doesn't need a speed signal and simply defaults to full pressure without the signal.

The target pressure and then flow output difference between the Porsche, GM and MR-S pump is the question. Which ever can pump out the most volume would likely be the best pump for the Evo.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Sep 26, 2014 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EVOX2015 (May 13, 2019)
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Yes mr2 spyder is definitely the pump to use. Max draw is 70 Amps at full lock which won't strain the alternator too much and the fluid reservoir is built in. The current project I'm working on now is retrofitting a yaris column mounted steering assist motor to the Evo steering shaft. It's fairly compact and if you use the proper year (06 without abs, due to all other models running a can bus system) it can be adapted easily. Looped the racks fluid and now there's no pump or hydro hoses to mess with, not to mention its lighter for those who may care.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the mr2 pump can draw 70amps. the mrs pump 50amps. I liked he idea of column assist myself. did research them as well. dont know how many amps a column assist draws but they are computer controlled with data from about 5 sensors and likely draw same 50 amps at full load. . no perfect way of retrofitting one. the closest I came was using a saturn column. there is a guy who adapted one and made his owns circuit using the speed sensor data. so the column operated at three different loads. high 0-15, med 15-35, and low 35-up. pretty not easy. plus I was worried about the whine right at the knees.

intersted to see how you like the yaris setup if you get it to work.

Quick Reply: Electric Power steering