Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kiggly HLA Pressure regulator, worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Kiggly HLA Pressure regulator, worth doing?

Hello,

i'm ordering another batch of items from the USA, and wondering if anyone is using the Kiggly HLA Pressure Regulator?

http://www.shop.kigglyracing.com/pro...8&categoryId=1

My Engine builder normally put restrictors in the head to stop over oiling the head.
But if this is a tried, proven and recommended item, then why not just buy this?!

I'd appreciate the feedback.

Cheers, Mike
Old May 13, 2010, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you really need it? I don't see any of the topdrag or timeattack cars here use it, or I may have missed something.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a very good part, well designed and functional. I know a number of high HP cars using it.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
It's a very good part, well designed and functional. I know a number of high HP cars using it.
Hey Mike, could you tell me when this becomes necessary? What applications or usage would make this needed? I understand what this product does but I'm not sure why it is better than the stock unit or what it prevents besides higher oil pressure in the head. (isn't that a good thing?)

Josh
Old May 13, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

This part works perfect! A constant 15psi of regulate oil pressure to the heads and keeps the oil where it belongs, in the oil pan...
Old May 13, 2010, 08:15 AM

I am also interested if this is needed in 1/4 drag applications or just auto-x
Old May 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

does Buschur uses this? or AMS or AWD-Motorsports?
Old May 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
We use it in all our drag cars and Luke and my street cars.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
We use it in all our drag cars and Luke and my street cars.
Yes, but why? why do I only want to see 15psi in the head? Aren't the lifter and oil passages designed to only keep the required oil in the head? How much oil am I really keeping in the pan by using this? Isn't more oil pressure in the head for people running journal bearing turbos fed from the stock location better? I keep hearing people say use this, it's a great design, but why do I or anyone else need it? What benefits or draw backs are there? Sorry but I'm no engineer so I would like to know "why"

Josh
Old May 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

You don't want a head full of oil and an empty oil pan for obvious reason... This is not only for drag racers, it's benefits apply to ALL racing...

HLA Pressure Regulator

* Actively Regulates Lash Adjuster Supply Pressure to a Constant 15psi.
* Accomplishes this by Restricting Flow Instead of Dumping Extra Pressure like the JDM Regulator.
* Reduces Oil Flow Into the Head, Keeps More Oil in the Pan.
* In Some Instances can Greatly Improve Oil Pressure at the End of a 1/4mi Pass. See Results from the Kiggly Racing Drag Car »

* Air Bleed at the Highest Point Helps Oil Quality and Aeration to Lash Adjusters.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Several racers, including Kiggly (who owns and engineered the fastest FWD 4g63 in the 8s), have logged and documented oil pressure drops under acceleration (even with acceleration at the level of 1.7 60s). Even momentary Low oil pressure = major problems for an engine being run hard...

The HLA reduces the amount of oil going into the head to just the amount needed for the lifters, and keeps the rest in the oil pan and oiling system serving the bearings, where it does the most good and keeps starvation to a minimum... More oil in the head than is needed equals less oil in the pan and bearings, which is not a good thing...

With this mod, I'd also recommend feeding the turbo from the filter housing, since the factory feed on the head is at the end of the "pressure" line...
Old May 13, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Yes, but why? why do I only want to see 15psi in the head? Aren't the lifter and oil passages designed to only keep the required oil in the head? How much oil am I really keeping in the pan by using this? Isn't more oil pressure in the head for people running journal bearing turbos fed from the stock location better? I keep hearing people say use this, it's a great design, but why do I or anyone else need it? What benefits or draw backs are there? Sorry but I'm no engineer so I would like to know "why"

Josh
The lifters arent really designed to see more than that at high rpm. They pump up and break the ends off at 9400+ occasionally. Why wouldnt you do it?
Old May 13, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Philthy748
You don't want a head full of oil and an empty oil pan for obvious reason... This is not only for drag racers, it's benefits apply to ALL racing...
Thanks for the chart quantifying the info I was looking for.

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Several racers, including Kiggly (who owns and engineered the fastest FWD 4g63 in the 8s), have logged and documented oil pressure drops under acceleration (even with acceleration at the level of 1.7 60s). Even momentary Low oil pressure = major problems for an engine being run hard...

The HLA reduces the amount of oil going into the head to just the amount needed for the lifters, and keeps the rest in the oil pan and oiling system serving the bearings, where it does the most good and keeps starvation to a minimum... More oil in the head than is needed equals less oil in the pan and bearings, which is not a good thing...

With this mod, I'd also recommend feeding the turbo from the filter housing, since the factory feed on the head is at the end of the "pressure" line...
Excellent explanation Mike, thanks for taking the time to type that out for everyone, including me. How about with the Garret CHRA dual ball bearing turbos like the one I bought from you? Do you still feel those should be fed from the filter housing and use the supplied restrictor/filter?

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
The lifters arent really designed to see more than that at high rpm. They pump up and break the ends off at 9400+ occasionally. Why wouldnt you do it?
I didn't know about the occasional breaking of the end of the lifter, thanks for the info, looks like I will be ordering one of these with the next "kitchen pass to the wallet" LOL or someone could buy some parts from me and I can buy one now! LOL My wife has never said no to a part I've wanted but occasionally she asks me to wait a month or so. I can live with that!

I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to explain this to me.

Josh

Last edited by jmelocik; May 13, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Josh,

Good distinction.

The problem with journal bearing turbos being oiled from the head was that they need constant (and higher) oil pressure to "float" the shaft off the journal bearing, and sometimes being at the end of the oil pressure line didn't provide that under certain circumstances. So turbos like the stock Evo VIII or IX, the FP Green, Red, and Black, the BBK and other turbos based on the journal bearing setup must have constant, pressurized oil in adequate volume to keep the shaft "floating"...

The Garrett dual ball bearing turbos use ball bearings, not journal bearings, and need MUCH less in the way of oil pressure. FP provides a different oil line pressure limiter for them because of that basic difference. http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...e=Acc-OilLines

FP's web page notes that Garrett specifies the .030 restrictor for the DBB turbos, while the journal bearing restrictor is more than 3 times that big -- 0.100... While I'd ask FP for their recommendation, since they're the experts on that issue, I'd expect them to have much less in the way of concerns for oiling a DBB turbo from the head than a journal bearing turbo.

Last edited by CO_VR4; May 13, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
excellent feedback guys,
i'll be sure to get one.

Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: Kiggly HLA Pressure regulator, worth doing?