Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Engine vibration and noise after 60K job

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Engine vibration and noise after 60K job

Just got my 60K job done plus cams and springs at Ivey. On the way home I notiiced waaaaay more vibration and exhaust noise than usual. Car just doesn't feel right. (there is even vibration in the pedals which was never there before.) I believe it's the balance shaft out of phase from what I've read and searched. Does this sound right? I know Ivey will make it right it's just the 2 hour drive is killing me! Is it an easy fix? thanks so much, Sean
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Yep that's usually what it's like when the BS is out of phase.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

if the balance shaft is out of face you have to remove the t-belt.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the car on the dyno yesterday, and I didn't notice the issue. I do know of the harder engine mounts that create vibration.
We will check it and if something isn't right it wll be at our expense. Let me know when you can bring it in.

Sean
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
I had the car on the dyno yesterday, and I didn't notice the issue. I do know of the harder engine mounts that create vibration.
We will check it and if something isn't right it wll be at our expense. Let me know when you can bring it in.

Sean
That's quality customer care.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Oil pump 180 degrees out of phase if you had no other changes. Do not rev the car up until you have it figured out. If you had motor mounts installed thats your answer lol.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutionTime
Just got my 60K job done plus cams and springs at Ivey. On the way home I notiiced waaaaay more vibration and exhaust noise than usual. Car just doesn't feel right. (there is even vibration in the pedals which was never there before.) I believe it's the balance shaft out of phase from what I've read and searched. Does this sound right? I know Ivey will make it right it's just the 2 hour drive is killing me! Is it an easy fix? thanks so much, Sean
It's an easy fix but everything will need to come back apart. It's a PITA
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
It's an easy fix but everything will need to come back apart. It's a PITA
Sean will take care of him.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by binh
Oil pump 180 degrees out of phase if you had no other changes. Do not rev the car up until you have it figured out. If you had motor mounts installed thats your answer lol.

Good call! The oil pump was 180 out! Car is perfect now! Sean sent a truck to pick up the car the next day. (sunday) The car was delivered back to me Monday night. Excellent customer service for sure. I had cams, springs and 60K done. The final price when all was said and done was $3184. This seems high after checking around but Sean and crew are great.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionTime
Good call! The oil pump was 180 out! Car is perfect now! Sean sent a truck to pick up the car the next day. (sunday) The car was delivered back to me Monday night. Excellent customer service for sure. I had cams, springs and 60K done. The final price when all was said and done was $3184. This seems high after checking around but Sean and crew are great.
$3,184.00 for cams, springs, and 60k service? Really?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

OUCH!!!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
$3,184.00 for cams, springs, and 60k service? Really?
..i assume thats with a tune..and some parts...
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Cams, springs, water pump, oil pump, timing belt and gaskets plus labor and tune and tax for all that... that doesn't really seem to much outta the norm I don't think.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

I had the timing belt redone, and miraculously the vibration is no longer there :-) Perhaps it was out, I just had them take it all apart and redo it, no questions. We also had to readjust the exhaust a bit so who knows.

As for the Bill we generally do not discuss customer billing on a forum, but on this particular job:

tune fee, cam install, valvespring install, reseal oil pan, 60k service, cost of a set of GSC cams, brand new dealer water pump, adjuster found to be worn, brand new dealer, tensioner, dealer timing belt, dealer balance shaft belt, cam oil seals, spark plugs, antifreeze, misc shop supplies.

Typical for a job like this.

-$400 for a tow truck to make sure all was well based on customer complaint.

Sean
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
I had the timing belt redone, and miraculously the vibration is no longer there :-) Perhaps it was out, I just had them take it all apart and redo it, no questions. We also had to readjust the exhaust a bit so who knows.

As for the Bill we generally do not discuss customer billing on a forum, but on this particular job:

tune fee, cam install, valvespring install, reseal oil pan, 60k service, cost of a set of GSC cams, brand new dealer water pump, adjuster found to be worn, brand new dealer, tensioner, dealer timing belt, dealer balance shaft belt, cam oil seals, spark plugs, antifreeze, misc shop supplies.

Typical for a job like this.

-$400 for a tow truck to make sure all was well based on customer complaint.

Sean

Let me make clear that Iveytune and Sean are without question awesome! I had just checked around after the fact with other shops for price. There is no doubt I will always take my car to Sean. The customer service is phenominal and they are always accomodating. Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Help! Engine vibration and noise after 60K job