Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best turbos to use on Stroker/High compression.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Your two failures may have been more PT&E related than related to the type of bearings used. The only failure that I have ever experienced with a turbo was with a turbo that I sent into PT&E just to have the housing recut for a larger wheel and fitted into a PT&E housing.

The turbo was fine before sending it into PT&E. I sent it to them to cut and fit a PT&E turbine housing instead of the stock Garrett housing. When I got it back and bolted the turbo up it spewed smoke. So, I had to send it in to John Craig to have him do the seals which had been fine before I sent the turbo into PT&E.

I never attributed that failure to the journal bearing setup, but to PT&E's(Precision) ineptitude. I mean my turbo was fine before shipping it to PT&E. But, as soon as i got it back from PT&E and bolted it up and went for a drive it was spewing white smoke.
ill agree with that. but precision sucking *** aside, ball bearings make a much bigger difference in response than people give them credit for.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MagicManRed
Nor did you NEED to comment on this thread...
Nor do I NEED to race at all, or even own an evo.
But if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right.

If you want to road race with journal bearing, be my guest. I'll be waiting for you at the finish line for however long it takes for you to replace your turbo.
No need to be a jerk about it. Im only trying to give some friendly advice.

Plain Bearing turbos are every bit as reliable as a Ball Bearing turbo, perhaps even more reliable. Notice how all the REALLY big power turbos are plain bearing..
Trucks, Ships both use plain bearing. Because it is cheap to repair and in extreamly forgiving.
Im already doing time attack, circuit and tarmac chalanges on my FP EvoBlack, and I had a plain bearing Trust T67 before that. Nothing wrong with it.

There is nothing ineffecent about my turbo, as effency comes from the turbine and compressor wheels, which FP change out anyways.

Im just trying to help you out wth a cost effective solution that works..
Good luck champ.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tonba

Plain Bearing turbos are every bit as reliable as a Ball Bearing turbo, perhaps even more reliable. Notice how all the REALLY big power turbos are plain bearing..
Trucks, Ships both use plain bearing. Because it is cheap to repair and in extreamly forgiving.
Im already doing time attack, circuit and tarmac chalanges on my FP EvoBlack, and I had a plain bearing Trust T67 before that. Nothing wrong with it.

There is nothing ineffecent about my turbo, as effency comes from the turbine and compressor wheels, which FP change out anyways.

Good luck champ.
what really big power turbo's use journal bearings? gt5533r uses ball bearings.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point!
A point that was repeated, and also a pointless point considering money is no issue. Also considering that that was not in my list of decidable turbos. This is an evo, I refuse to cut corners with gutted stock turbo housings that have tornados the size of north america jammed into them. If you want to do that, that's your business. READ THE ORIGINAL POST, Ball bearing or nothing. I am the customer, that is what I want. I did not ask for an opinion on ball bearing or journal bearing. You want to talk about that... go elsewhere.

I have put over 350,000 miles of hard DD on various journal bearing turboed cars w/o a problem. As a practical matter, BB is mostly a spool related issue as opposed to a longevity issue.
You have obviously not put the duties on your car that I will be putting. Maybe you don't need to. If it's working for you, good for you.

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
and i had 2 different journal bearing precision turbo's blow on my sti in under 3,000 miles. both made no power and spooled like garbage too. never again will i run a journal bearing turbo.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s201/n2oiroc/oil.jpg
I have seen endless situations like this. This is why I'll be running ball bearing, as well as spool and its ability to hold more power between shifts.

Your two failures may have been more PT&E related than related to the type of bearings used. The only failure that I have ever experienced with a turbo was with a turbo that I sent into PT&E just to have the housing recut for a larger wheel and fitted into a PT&E housing.

The turbo was fine before sending it into PT&E. I sent it to them to cut and fit a PT&E turbine housing instead of the stock Garrett housing. When I got it back and bolted the turbo up it spewed smoke. So, I had to send it in to John Craig to have him do the seals which had been fine before I sent the turbo into PT&E.

I never attributed that failure to the journal bearing setup, but to PT&E's(Precision) ineptitude. I mean my turbo was fine before shipping it to PT&E. But, as soon as i got it back from PT&E and bolted it up and went for a drive it was spewing white smoke.
More reason why I don't like over-stuffed journal bearing turbos. Shaft play is almost always likely to happen.

ill agree with that. but precision sucking *** aside, ball bearings make a much bigger difference in response than people give them credit for.

Originally Posted by Tonba

Good luck champ.
No one is being a jerk. If anything, you are not giving advice in the area that I ask, therefore why give advice at all? Read my original post. Then ask yourself why I replied the way I did. I appreciate ALL help, but when my mind is made up and narrowed down to a specific few things, help me decide between those specific few. I'm not going to sit here and agree to another set of specific few that are outside my scope of possibilities. This just wastes my time.

what really big power turbo's use journal bearings? gt5533r uses ball bearings.

Thread will be getting closed.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

You are right. You specified BB turbos and it is your thread. You are the boss. Sorry to inject my unsolicited and OT .02. Sometimes I just like playing the Devil's Advocate!

I agree that BB is superior to journal. Never had a BB turbo myself. Maybe I will live to have one on my Evo someday however. Take care

PS What sort of racing will you be doing exactly?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to take this moment (before the thread closes, because I just sent a request for that) to thank Force-Fed Performance, FP, ETS, TurboTrix Racing, The ShopCT, Full Race, AWD, AMS and anyone else I either heard from through PM's and/or Telephone.

Everyone has different needs and desires even though we all may have the same/similar vehicle. I'd like to think we are all here to set fourth our individuality, by those needs and characteristics and not to convey any sort of message that has the intentions of making someone else into who you are. Copying is an easy thing to do.

Once again, thank you everyone for the advice.