Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC S1 v S2 Mivec Cams throttle response question.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i was in the same boat but recently decided on the s2's! i was wanting the s1's but decided on doing some timing belt work and figured why not upgrade the springs/retainers and cams. i dont drag my car as much but why not get upgraded with a cam that will be ready for a larger frame turbo? the s1's are great cams but i would rather know that they are not my limiting factor.

i dont have any experience but i was told that with some Mivec tuning the S2's can be really responsive. but then again i havent had any first hand experience.

good thread though, i'm subscribing!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vmrevo9

i dont have any experience but i was told that with some Mivec tuning the S2's can be really responsive. but then again i havent had any first hand experience.

good thread though, i'm subscribing!
The general consensus seems to be that with mivec S2s are the way to go no matter what, due to their tuning flexibility.

But still, you'll be sacrificing some sort of gain at the top end to gain a wider torque range down low. I'm speculating but there never seems to be a give without a take when it comes to forced induction without sacrificing reliability.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest S1s. I am running S1s on my car. The S2 have gains but also there is a compromise on the lower and midrange. The S1 instead are all gains in all rpms. Yes the S2 might give you more hp in the top end but as I explained before they compromise on the lower and mid range.

I did hours of reading and that is why I am rolling with the S1, remember, gains on the entire rpms without compromise.

Carlos
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey Carlos,

what are your hp/tq numbers? i'm getting camsturbo an a couple of other things soon just trying to gauge an estimate of power.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:22 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I suggest S1s. I am running S1s on my car. The S2 have gains but also there is a compromise on the lower and midrange. The S1 instead are all gains in all rpms.
Can you post a comparative dynograph (stock vs S1) of your car?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike

Are you guys a bunch of Females or something? Because i know how women dont let Logic get in the way of a good arguement
Um not trying to fuel the fire at all but do you mind if I put that in my sig?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutinIX
Um not trying to fuel the fire at all but do you mind if I put that in my sig?
haha go right ahead
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Sweet, thanks! This is a great topic, I am still debating on which to go with. I have ruled out the Kelfords and am leaning to the S1's paired with a BBK B, but fear down the road I may regret it and want the S2's. I would rather not have to upgrade the springs and retainers, don't plan on going past 7600 rpm, but it still seems like it will pound on the stock springs a little too much. Is 500hp to much to ask from the S1's?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think springs and retainers are "pushed" to the community a little too much here. If your valve train is experiencing "valve float" or other abuse from highhh revving and high lift cams, install them. this usually occurs over 7k or more, but all drivers are not revving to 8k when going to the grocery store. Unless you plan on tracking or have a setup that will need "highhh revving" to get the most out of your turbo, I wouldnt just get springs and retainers. Installing that costs more than cams. even gsc webpage says the s2's are the ones that need the retainers, but that is because they are "designed" to be up top cams and to be revved high consistently to experience the powerband. In that case it'd be wise to protect the valve train. so s1 - no retainers . s2 driven properly - retainers needed.

Kiggly beehive ftw
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Broham
i think springs and retainers are "pushed" to the community a little too much here. If your valve train is experiencing "valve float" or other abuse from highhh revving and high lift cams, install them. this usually occurs over 7k or more, but all drivers are not revving to 8k when going to the grocery store. Unless you plan on tracking or have a setup that will need "highhh revving" to get the most out of your turbo, I wouldnt just get springs and retainers. Installing that costs more than cams. even gsc webpage says the s2's are the ones that need the retainers, but that is because they are "designed" to be up top cams and to be revved high consistently to experience the powerband. In that case it'd be wise to protect the valve train. so s1 - no retainers . s2 driven properly - retainers needed.

Kiggly beehive ftw

The S2 cams don't require our retainer to be used with our beehive spring only the S3 profile will require a retainer change do to there lift.

Greg
Old Jul 3, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

So what should the max rev limit be set to on a stock turbo car with S2's on stock valve springs/retainers?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Canexican
So what should the max rev limit be set to on a stock turbo car with S2's on stock valve springs/retainers?
http://www.power-division.com/produc...cat=279&page=1

stock rev limit (7600) and stock boost
Old Jul 3, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, I cross the line in fourth at close to 8 grand. Fuel cut is at 8200. Think I'm playing with fire?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 03:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Canexican
Hmmm, I cross the line in fourth at close to 8 grand. Fuel cut is at 8200. Think I'm playing with fire?
according to GSC, the company that makes them. Yes
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I have not noticed a difference as far as increased spool in any of the many GSC cams we tune. S1 over stock makes more torque literally EVERYWHERE and power as well. It looks like the powergraph gets lifted straight up. The S2s dont lose over the S1s but normally really pick up out the top only. Out the top is subjective but we'll say something like 6k. This is why we normally suggest S1 for cars that are road raced and S2s for drag cars. Drag racing is almost always over 6k, road racing varies ALOT.

Transient response (time to boost threshold between shifts) might be better with the S1s but I have no quantifiable data nor care to guess as things like boost level, turbo type, fuel, weather, all play a role in this to some extent.

Greg and I havent talked about this specifically in the last 4 years we have been dealing. Sounds like a conversation I might have though
Perfect insight. S1 cams for me with my BBK. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: GSC S1 v S2 Mivec Cams throttle response question.