Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AWD Motorsports driveshaft on the BadBish

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice...over 11 lbs lighter is awesome...when I do my 5 spd swap one of these driveshafts will definitely be purchased at the same time...
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might have to get one too, adds power and absorbs shock better than stock.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
What performance gains will you get with this? Any draw backs at ALL for a DD?
Emery @ STM did back to back and I wanna say 10+.. I also had a customer who said his car was dead consistent MPH and swapped Ds and picked up 3mph in 1/4 mile.. Thats about all i can report as I should have done some back to back tests myself.. I can tell you as soon as you let out the clutch from a stop you can feel how it moves so much easier..

Mike
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by boomn29
12lbs of rotating mass eh... hhmmm.

Assuming if this takes the abuse of drag racing, we can road/race it just fine too eh.
Road race will put no abuse on it like launching the car.. Its held up on my car to 8 second passes w/o an issue..

Mike
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Just some random numbers I came up with while doing my own 2-piece shaft.

60mm 2mm wall 1020 tube (stock)
Moment of inertia (12" length) = 9.43 kg/m^4
Torsional Stiffness = 103kN-m/rad
Failure Torque = 4243 N-m

3" 0.125 wall aluminum tube
Moment of inertia (12" length) = 8.01E-04 kg/m^4
torsional Stiffness = 82kN-m/rad
Failure Torque = 7048 N-m

2.5" 0.083 wall 4130 Chromoly steel tube
Moment of inertia (12" length) = 9.18E-04 kg/m^4
torsional Stiffness = 100kN-m/rad
Failure Torque = 5557 N-m

Larger diameter aluminum OWNS on all aspects...
Even though the actual weight is only 6% less, that aluminum shaft has about 12% less inertia then the steel DEVO shaft.
It will also absorb more of the driveline shock on a launch or hard shift.
Very good info.. It was my concern that ours had to be a larger diameter in aluminum to be strong but i guess all in all it ended up better over all by your calcs..

Mike
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
We did a test on a 300 whp car a while back and saw about 10 whp all the way through. They are very nice drive shafts and we actually run the same part on the ricer. It works!
AWD motorsports!

-Em
Guess I should have read further down.. Thanks for the info..

Mike
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry, I had a chance to go and enjoy life tonight with Ron Shearer, Jeff Oswalt and a few other guys riding bicycles.

I'd say the coil overs over the driveshaft too. I really like the N1's and that's what's on my car, they are 36 pounds lighter than stock if I remember right. They also work very good in my opinion. Pricing is low too.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Emery @ STM did back to back and I wanna say 10+.. I also had a customer who said his car was dead consistent MPH and swapped Ds and picked up 3mph in 1/4 mile.. Thats about all i can report as I should have done some back to back tests myself.. I can tell you as soon as you let out the clutch from a stop you can feel how it moves so much easier..

Mike
do you really believe that feedback.? 3mph? your smoking crack..
acpt used to have customer feedback on their site. 7 second cars were picking up .003 at the track. and that was likely from traction improvement not horsepower. on a 500whp I doubt you could even measure 1 hp difference on the dyno.

the math is just not there guys. only HP gain you will see if from shedding 12lbs weight. yes I am know its rotational mass. but in this case the mass lost is too close to centerline of rotation to make much of a difference.

700 spent is FAR FAR better spent on lighter tires . 3-4 lbs per tire will net 10-15hp. plus car will handle better because shocks are controlling less weight. brakes work better stopping less mass.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Aug 20, 2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
acpt used to have customer feedback on their site. 7 second cars were picking up .003 at the track. and that was likely from traction improvement not horsepower. on a 500whp I doubt you could even measure 1 hp difference on the dyno.

the math is just not there guys. only HP gain you will see if from shedding 12lbs weight. yes I am know its rotational mass. but in this case the mass lost is too close to centerline of rotation to make much of a difference.

700 spent is FAR FAR better spent on lighter tires . 3-4 lbs per tire will net 10-15hp. plus car will handle better because shocks are controlling less weight. brakes work better stopping less mass.
Is it me or do you ever agree with anything that AWD Motorsports says or does? You seem like you know what you're talking about but you never see eye to eye on anything. What gives?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

popping popcorn
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have been good lately. When someone posts stupid I cant always bite my tonque and sit and watch. If I have anything against AWD it would be his attitude he knows everything about the 4g63 after less than 3 years. When what he really knows is how to build a fast drag car. And he doesnt even do any of the work. He got started in this by buying Curt Browns evo 8. Which was already a low 9 second car. He has mechanics that turn the wrenches, and tuners who make the setups come together. Mike is really just a savy business man.

I will admit to having a pissee attitude to shops who boast their fast drag times as the be all end all. To me that is a very small part of what makes a car enjoyable to drive. To me the focus of building a nice car is completely shrouded by the focus of the boards attention to fast drag times. I have never built a drag car in my 30 years of building fast fun street cars. I see no point in it. i want to feel boost every day. Drag cars feel boost for a few seconds a couple times a week at best. The cost for fun ratio for a drag car is **** poor. Ask mike how many of those cars in his sig ran for more than a couple months and how much they cost to build then you might have an idea of whats going on around here.

I could go on and on but this thread is about drive shafts for sale. i shared my knowledge on it. If it doesnt sit well with you i am sorry.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
popping popcorn
Haha yup...
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

I have been good lately. When someone posts stupid I cant always bite my tonque and sit and watch. If I have anything against AWD it would be his attitude he knows everything about the 4g63 after less than 3 years. When what he really knows is how to build a fast drag car. And he doesnt even do any of the work. He got started in this by buying Curt Browns evo 8. Which was already a low 9 second car. He has mechanics that turn the wrenches, and tuners who make the setups come together. Mike is really just a savy business man.

I will admit to having a pissee attitude to shops who boast their fast drag times as the be all end all. To me that is a very small part of what makes a car enjoyable to drive. To me the focus of building a nice car is completely shrouded by the focus of the boards attention to fast drag times. I have never built a drag car in my 30 years of building fast fun street cars. I see no point in it. i want to feel boost every day. Drag cars feel boost for a few seconds a couple times a week at best. The cost for fun ratio for a drag car is **** poor. Ask mike how many of those cars in his sig ran for more than a couple months and how much they cost to build then you might have an idea of whats going on around here.

I could go on and on but this thread is about drive shafts for sale. i shared my knowledge on it. If it doesnt sit well with you i am sorry.
Seems you have hurt feelings.. I am a business man as is my good friends Buschur and ivey as well who both dont wrench on cars anymore.. So what would you say about them as well.. If i am out turning wrenches then im not inside running my program properly.. I love the critics that beleive you have to be turning the wrenches to know whats going on.. When actually i build these combinations in my signature and give direction on what i need done and it gets done by choosing those who turn wrenches wisely.. It isnt just lucky that i have assembled a teams of people to get the job done.. I choose those who i feel are a good fit for my team.. So continue on with the HATE i love it actually that you follow my every move.. Spend some time now on 6speedonline.com and watch as i build the Worlds Fastest Water Cooled Porsche next from a stock car.. Please chime in there and let me know whos car i bought and built then.. Its a stock Gt2 I am starting with ill be glad to take pics so you can follow the progress and ride my nuts some more..
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

I am quoting a customer who I will find his thread.. It was a 122mph car he said he turned consistent with always until the DS swap and got 125 IIRC.. Maybe it had to do with his 60/330 ft times which helped add to the MPH.. I dont know.. I am just reporting what i was told.. Glad to see your here though.. Without you i sometimes feel nobody is keeping track of every move i make and record i break..

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's cool 94AWDCOUPE, I was just curious. That is what these forums are for anyway. Sharing information.

Last edited by pls1968; Aug 20, 2010 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: AWD Motorsports driveshaft on the BadBish