Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AWD Motorsports driveshaft on the BadBish

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also ask that nobody cry and report this thread id love to continue on with 94AWD.. He seems to keep good tabs on me like many other jealous haters in the state of FL.. The signature must be eating people around here i guess.. Maybe he will get some sleep now that the Bastard is Retired.. I dont plan to be adding anything new to the signature.. Atleast until the black car returns later this year.. Ill take some pics of me with a 10mm wrench in my hand leaning over the car to make you feel better little buddy..

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
I am quoting a customer who I will find his thread.. It was a 122mph car he said he turned consistent with always until the DS swap and got 125 IIRC.. Maybe it had to do with his 60/330 ft times which helped add to the MPH.. I dont know.. I am just reporting what i was told.. Glad to see your here though.. Without you i sometimes feel nobody is keeping track of every move i make and record i break..

Mike
This is a perfect example of my problem with you. You dont have the intelligence yourself to realize a 3 mpg gain is impossible from the drive shaft change. It doesnt add anywhere near that amount of HP. But rather than be intelligent and post its not likely to gain any noticeable power you would rather transfer the feedback so you can sell more drive shafts that way. And I think that is BS business practice and worth my time to post some actual tech that proves it.

I surely get you are all proud of your hand in the track records . But what you obviously dont get about me is I have no interest in setting records. My enjoyment in cars is building fast, reliable, enjoyable, cars that are actually driven regularly on the street. I have no interest in your so called achievements. I dont follow you around like I have nothing better to do. Get over yourself.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Actually I have to agree with 94AWDcoupe when he says that it's not all about 1/4 mile time, especially with evo's. True evo's are very fast cars and do very good at the 1/4 mile, but it's not what they are designed for. The strongest quality in the evo is its HANDLING on daily driven roads. They're everywhere in the world competing in rally's, hill climps, time attacks, etc... an old dsm will beat the evo in a 1/4, and will cost less to build. It won't stand a chance against an evo in a rally or hill climb though...

Second point is, those 8sec cars are all very expensive to maintain, and very time consuming to maintain... every now and then a part will brake... those are not daily driven cars...

When someone criticises a point, you can't just tell him "look at all the records in my sig, i am right you are wrong"! records are just what they are. A 1/4 mile record means you are good at building a 1/4 mile car. How often do you have to maintain it? how does it behave as a DD? how costly is it to maintain? how fun is it to drive on the road?

Personally I like a torquey DD evo, and can't imagine myself saying about an evo that has peak torque at 6000rpm "oh, it's not too laggy"
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow. hahahaha

We had my RS on the dyno a few years ago, didn't even remove it from the dyno, jacked it up in place, swapped from stock rotors to the original Giro's. That was a total weight loss, all rotating mass, of 15.3 pounds. The car gained 7 whp. I believe those gains 100%.

I don't know how much the driveshaft would gain, some of the loss in weight is from losing a carrier bearing. Measurable? Yes. How much, I can only guess based on the rotor weight numbers.

As for wrenching. I've never done much actual wrenching. My brother, Daniel, is an SAE certified master technician, he's always been the wrench in the family. I've swapped a ton of DSM transmissions/transfer cases/rear ends/engines/heads back in my day. Luckily now with a full service shop I Daniel do it, the lifts in our building and the shop area are his actually. Two seperate businesses. I've done every job on my own EVO other than pulling the actual engine out/trans out and swapping the rear diff.

My job here is fabrication of new parts we are developing, tuning and dyno testing parts and of course running the shop. I don't enjoy pulling engines/heads/transmissions, it's never been my thing, I'm capable and do it if needed. My enjoyment comes from developing things and that's what I do.

BTW, not all of Mike's records are with laggy drag cars, that's one statement I disagree with. The black/red's are super responsive and still ran fast as hell, record setting fast. I do agree a big turbo, laggy all top end car SUCKS and I also have no use for them. I've spent a lot of time concentrating on a full power curve for my own RS. I can tell you after this last shootout weekend laying my dyno graphs over other cars for people to see really opened up some eyes on just how much low/mid range my car has...........and it can still run low-low 9's. It was just stellar in power delivery on a VERY tight autocross course at the shootout, top speeds may have hit 50 mph, that to me is a great street car.

carry on.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
This is a perfect example of my problem with you. You dont have the intelligence yourself to realize a 3 mpg gain is impossible from the drive shaft change. It doesnt add anywhere near that amount of HP. But rather than be intelligent and post its not likely to gain any noticeable power you would rather transfer the feedback so you can sell more drive shafts that way. And I think that is BS business practice and worth my time to post some actual tech that proves it.

I surely get you are all proud of your hand in the track records . But what you obviously dont get about me is I have no interest in setting records. My enjoyment in cars is building fast, reliable, enjoyable, cars that are actually driven regularly on the street. I have no interest in your so called achievements. I dont follow you around like I have nothing better to do. Get over yourself.
This where i have a problem cause you dont actually go out there and do anything your just an E-warrior..

There are many factors that contribute to the MPH gain so is it POSSIBLE yes IMO it is to gain 3mph on a 122car.. Is it likely to happen to more than a few people maybe not.. Ill explain since i have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE going down the drag strip and you dont..

With the Light Shaft his 1-2 shift can improve, The Launch can improve, shift points can improve, and then the rotational mass in high gear multiplies.. So if we alot 1mph or .75 MPH to 3-4 different attributes YES it is possible.. how do i know this?? I actually go out there and race, and study all my slips and mods done to see the gains..

Do i sell this driveshaft based on promoting a 3mph gain NEVER HAVE... you wont find 1 thread where i ever said YOU WILL GAIN 3MPH i have seen it from a customer who tested.. I told you already i cant even back up the +10hp claim as i never did that testing Emery did.. Why havent I?? cause i dont care.. I know 100% it gains MPH, ET and makes the car easier to drive down the strip and for the $$$ i dont think i have to formulate tests to prove it and sell them..

So get off my nuts because you are 1 of only a handful of Haters that are always worried about what MIKE @ AWD is saying or doing.. If you want me to find 20 threads where you rode my nuts ill Pm you with them.. You are my BIGGEST FAN by far..

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by darwin_evo
Actually I have to agree with 94AWDcoupe when he says that it's not all about 1/4 mile time, especially with evo's. True evo's are very fast cars and do very good at the 1/4 mile, but it's not what they are designed for. The strongest quality in the evo is its HANDLING on daily driven roads. They're everywhere in the world competing in rally's, hill climps, time attacks, etc... an old dsm will beat the evo in a 1/4, and will cost less to build. It won't stand a chance against an evo in a rally or hill climb though...

Second point is, those 8sec cars are all very expensive to maintain, and very time consuming to maintain... every now and then a part will brake... those are not daily driven cars...

When someone criticises a point, you can't just tell him "look at all the records in my sig, i am right you are wrong"! records are just what they are. A 1/4 mile record means you are good at building a 1/4 mile car. How often do you have to maintain it? how does it behave as a DD? how costly is it to maintain? how fun is it to drive on the road?

Personally I like a torquey DD evo, and can't imagine myself saying about an evo that has peak torque at 6000rpm "oh, it's not too laggy"
I have to agree with you it isnt about 1/4 mile time only.. The problem is I dont have enough data out there to support the gains made on a TA car with just driveshaft.. i cannot say XXX TEAM just dropped .5 off their time in Mid Ohio with our Driveshaft...

I actually just sponsored out a few of them to some TA guys but i cant be sure anyway they will report back with back to back data.. Weather changes, tracks conditions change so i couldnt say if someone reported back they dropped 1 full second with out driveshaft if it was even accurate.. i can tell you there is NO WAY POSSIBLE that there is no gain at all.. So for 750.00 if your serious about the performance of your EVO its a bargain IMO..

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
94AWDCoupe, 3mph seems unlikely. However, I have a 2-piece driveshaft that i got done locally. It dropped like 10 pounds and it is very noticable.

1st and 2nd gear was where it had the most noticable impact.

I would agree though that it's not the best place to start for weight loss.
1. Clutch/flywheel
2. Tires
3. Wheels
4. Brakes
5. Coilovers
6. Driveshaft
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, Post some pics of the posche please!

Fathouse
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
94AWDCoupe, 3mph seems unlikely. However, I have a 2-piece driveshaft that i got done locally. It dropped like 10 pounds and it is very noticable.

1st and 2nd gear was where it had the most noticable impact.

I would agree though that it's not the best place to start for weight loss.
1. Clutch/flywheel
2. Tires
3. Wheels
4. Brakes
5. Coilovers
6. Driveshaft
I actually disagree for a drag car atleast.. We prefer a heavy flywheel for 1.. I would do it in this order myself..

1. wheels
2. Tires
3.brakes
4.driveshaft
5.coilovers
6.clutch/flywheel

Thats just my personal opinion with 0 science behind and just my experience with what i have done with cars missing those parts and some that have had them.. and i am referring to just weight not importance of parts as you need a GOOD clutch before you need good wheels etc..

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Wow. hahahaha

We had my RS on the dyno a few years ago, didn't even remove it from the dyno, jacked it up in place, swapped from stock rotors to the original Giro's. That was a total weight loss, all rotating mass, of 15.3 pounds. The car gained 7 whp. I believe those gains 100%.

I don't know how much the driveshaft would gain, some of the loss in weight is from losing a carrier bearing. Measurable? Yes. How much, I can only guess based on the rotor weight numbers.

As for wrenching. I've never done much actual wrenching. My brother, Daniel, is an SAE certified master technician, he's always been the wrench in the family. I've swapped a ton of DSM transmissions/transfer cases/rear ends/engines/heads back in my day. Luckily now with a full service shop I Daniel do it, the lifts in our building and the shop area are his actually. Two seperate businesses. I've done every job on my own EVO other than pulling the actual engine out/trans out and swapping the rear diff.

My job here is fabrication of new parts we are developing, tuning and dyno testing parts and of course running the shop. I don't enjoy pulling engines/heads/transmissions, it's never been my thing, I'm capable and do it if needed. My enjoyment comes from developing things and that's what I do.

BTW, not all of Mike's records are with laggy drag cars, that's one statement I disagree with. The black/red's are super responsive and still ran fast as hell, record setting fast. I do agree a big turbo, laggy all top end car SUCKS and I also have no use for them. I've spent a lot of time concentrating on a full power curve for my own RS. I can tell you after this last shootout weekend laying my dyno graphs over other cars for people to see really opened up some eyes on just how much low/mid range my car has...........and it can still run low-low 9's. It was just stellar in power delivery on a VERY tight autocross course at the shootout, top speeds may have hit 50 mph, that to me is a great street car.

carry on.
Everything stated here i can agree with..

Ceramic Wheel Bearings is another example once again of Weight LOSS is not everything in terms of MPH gains.. I am not an engineer and dont claim to be.. I am just the guy who builds combinations for my cars in my head and on paper and then tests them.. regardless what 94awd thinks i am the one who does 90% of the combination work on my cars.. I cant tell you at 9500RPM what revolutions the DS spins and what the MOI change is vs a 3pc steel DS.. maybe you scientists can figure it out.. i can tell you the MPH gains on a 300hp car vs a 800hp car will be much greater on the lower HP car.. Maybe i will find someone with a 350hp evo and carry DS to the track and make 3 passes with it and 3 without.. if the 60ft and 330 seems to be close we can call it REAL WORLD DATA..
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd love to do this driveshaft but I allready have the devo one which I had to send my stock one back and I can't drop 700+no core for 1.8 lbs. A perfect mod for anyone who has a stock driveshaft though. I watched the install on Dave's RS. A lovely looking driveshaft it was.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fathouse
Mike, Post some pics of the posche please!

Fathouse
Ill post them in the OTHER cars section for you.. Its a 2002 996 Gt2.. . Motor is being assembled and " I AM studying combinations as we speak ".. Robert from FP has given us a set of SPECIAL HTA Turbos for it.. Damn porsche needs 2 of everything.. Ughhhh

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently installed one of these on my IX. The car just feels a little snappier esp at low speeds.

I am a professional engineer and during the install I looked at why Mistu went with a 3-pc to start with and couldn't find any. I could not find anything in the 2-pc installed that you give up vs the 3-pc. It clears my 3"TBE better. Fits like a glove. Loose weight and rotating mass and it's mechanically much simpler because it eliminates that hybrid-cv style joint on the OEM shaft.

It's all win.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evodan2004
I'd love to do this driveshaft but I allready have the devo one which I had to send my stock one back and I can't drop 700+no core for 1.8 lbs. A perfect mod for anyone who has a stock driveshaft though. I watched the install on Dave's RS. A lovely looking driveshaft it was.
I agree for 1.8lbs i wouldnt rebuy ours.. Unless of course you sold yours for 600 to someone and then got ours..

Mike

Quick Reply: AWD Motorsports driveshaft on the BadBish