Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spool so fast that the turbo SURGES

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Spool so fast that the turbo SURGES

Besides getting the anti surge housings, how might one tune to keep a turbo from surging ? ?

Here is why I ask...

I have the mods in my sig. Just changed over to e85. Upon doing so my turbo now spools insanely fast. If I do a pull starting at anything below 3500 rpm I get compressor surge big time (Thanks DB for making that suggestion). If I do a pull after 3500, it is clean and boost builds from 0 at 3500 to 30 psi at 3900 peaking at 33 at 4050. It holds 27psi to redline.

I use an AVC-R to control the boost. The car has an 18psi WGA and an original green turbo with revolver cams. The block is 2.0. The turbo hot side, exhaust mani and o2 housing are heavily ported. The head is port matched on the exhaust side.

Suggestions ? ? ?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats up Chief...

What BOV are you using ?

You may have the AVC-Rs gain turned up too high or perhaps the Start boost setting too high. Id start playing there as that is more than likely your culprit I'd guess.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the fast response. I am running an APS dual vent. It does not leak for my boost leak test at 40psi. It holds rock steady.

I too am thinking that the boost controller will resolve the issue. HA how often do you hear of someone complaining of "too fast" of spool?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

Only when the reason is the line to the wastegate blew off

The APS is usually pretty solid. It could be possible that you need to back the screw out a bit more than normal, but i think the EBC is your issue. Start with your gain down to around 10% or so and your start boost about 5 to 10 psi before your desired and adjust tighter until the problem comes back.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jason@Spec-Ops
Only when the reason is the line to the wastegate blew off

The APS is usually pretty solid. It could be possible that you need to back the screw out a bit more than normal, but i think the EBC is your issue. Start with your gain down to around 10% or so and your start boost about 5 to 10 psi before your desired and adjust tighter until the problem comes back.
Good call. My plan was to always hold the WG shut until I hit my desired boost level. Seems I just can't do it that way any more.

Oh the joys of pushing the limits of a turbo.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

i try to as well... I think you will find the sweet spot to be roughly 3 to 4 psi before desired, however its easier to build up to it instead of fighting the issue on the way down. On my personal car, right now im running only 28psi and i think my start boost is 24.5 and my gain is around 30%. On the previous turbo setup, same boost, start was only set to 21 and gain around 15%... otherwise it would surge. Seems like their should be an exact science with this instead of the trial and error, we need to employ myth busters.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

It is odd how this problem does not seem to happen much with MBCs.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:23 AM
Account Disabled

I actually never considered that, but if you think about it.... the MBC doesnt have the ability to hold it closed until it wants it to open... which is the benefit I guess of having the EBC.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I lowered the duty for areas below 3500. It seems to have helped, but not solved the issue. I am thinking that I may add some timing to try to get the power back up as the loss of boost has made the car feel a little sluggish. It was very snappy before. I found that lower timing and more fuel really decreased spool time.

The surge is still there, but not as bad as it was. It always seems to happen at around 3100 rpm and about 18psi to 20psi boost. At this point I am stuck though. I have an 18psi WGA so the ability to lower boost below this point isn't happening. I do have the ability to adjust the WGA arm a little looser. It is cranked full tight now. I may go to as loose as it can go but maintain a fully close WG. I fear that I may get more boost taper up top though.

I realize I am on an old turbo with old technology and that I am pushing it's limits on e85. I only have about a month left before I deploy for the land of sand. Maybe I will be blessed by the turbo gods and a new turbo will be home waiting for me upon my return.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Well, I lowered the duty for areas below 3500. It seems to have helped, but not solved the issue. I am thinking that I may add some timing to try to get the power back up as the loss of boost has made the car feel a little sluggish. It was very snappy before. I found that lower timing and more fuel really decreased spool time.

The surge is still there, but not as bad as it was. It always seems to happen at around 3100 rpm and about 18psi to 20psi boost. At this point I am stuck though. I have an 18psi WGA so the ability to lower boost below this point isn't happening. I do have the ability to adjust the WGA arm a little looser. It is cranked full tight now. I may go to as loose as it can go but maintain a fully close WG. I fear that I may get more boost taper up top though.

I realize I am on an old turbo with old technology and that I am pushing it's limits on e85. I only have about a month left before I deploy for the land of sand. Maybe I will be blessed by the turbo gods and a new turbo will be home waiting for me upon my return.
I have the same EXACT issue, @ the same exact rpm (approximately) on the stocker (IX) and 91... Ive been thinking about lowering boost @ peak and ramping it up a bit after where it starts to fall off (~ 5500, as u saw, in my rom I sent u.)
I have the APS as well (but didnt help w/ the issue, and reason for purchasing it) Ive thought I had a boost leak for a long time, but maybe Im/were just pushing TOO much airflow, too early and causes some sort of turbulence/reversion/surge...
I have the hotside coated/ported / int mani. inlet ported w/ a 65mm TB, and was thinking, maybe I need to port the stock ex. mani., get a better LICP, 3" DP, and a TP, as I have 2.75" DP and an Injen LICP (which isnt the largest Dia.) combined w/ a 100 cell HFC...
Edit: I was seeing 24-26 psi by 3375, in 3rd. starting fro 2000 - 2300.
just a thought...

Last edited by nonschlont; Aug 20, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the high/low fuel pump operation. Maybe the fuel pump crossover point can be adjusted so that it crosses over to the higher voltage sooner, thus eliminating the issue.

The "Boost Control High/Low Gear Range RPM/MPH Crossover" is set to 2900 rpm. Could this, by some grace of god, be the switching point for the fuel pump relay #3 that flips to bypass the resistor and allow more voltage to the fuel pump??? If so, I think all we would have to do is lower this value to like 2000 and is should solve our problem. MAYBE.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the high/low fuel pump operation. Maybe the fuel pump crossover point can be adjusted so that it crosses over to the higher voltage sooner, thus eliminating the issue.

The "Boost Control High/Low Gear Range RPM/MPH Crossover" is set to 2900 rpm. Could this, by some grace of god, be the switching point for the fuel pump relay #3 that flips to bypass the resistor and allow more voltage to the fuel pump??? If so, I think all we would have to do is lower this value to like 2000 and is should solve our problem. MAYBE.
theres a PDF file reguarding the boost control high/low gear gear range rpm/mph crossover, somwhere, (cant find it)... For the IX, (my evo) I use 100 which is betweend 2nd and 3rd gear. So "baseline boost/load LOW" is 1st and second, and HIGH is 3rd - 5th... This is irrelevant w/ v.7!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

the table I speak of has 2900 rpm as the value for my VIII
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

the table I speak of has 2900 rpm as the value for my VIII
I know the table ur talkin bout... stock was set @ 2900 for the IX as well.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone else have any ideas ? ? ?

Might the bypass work for the 3rd fuel pump relay ? ? ?

Quick Reply: Spool so fast that the turbo SURGES