Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you said "reach your left hand around the back of the IM," I'm assuming that the sensor in towards the passenger side of the engine block?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

no its towards the driver side, but you cant get in that way. it is directly below the 3-4 runner gap in your intake manifold. gotta lean a bit but youll get it unless you have tyrannosaurus arms.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If I remember right, the 8 has it on the back side of the block and the 9 has it on the oil filter housing. Hence, the above confusion.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If I remember right, the 8 has it on the back side of the block and the 9 has it on the oil filter housing. Hence, the above confusion.
Yes and the OP has a 9 (per his CP)...but I was already told I was wrong ...
Old Sep 5, 2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
If this is the case, it would explain a lot. I'm going to try to crawl under the car today, and check it out.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptianSellout
If this is the case, it would explain a lot. I'm going to try to crawl under the car today, and check it out.
You will see the sensor right above the oil filter housing. If anything touches that sending unit, it will ground it, and the light will stay on...I have a wire cover (covering my oil temp and oil pressure wires) that would trip the sensor - PITA to figure out ...

Do you know your REAL oil pressure ? I would not replace the switch until you verify your oil pressure is fine.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by cij911
You will see the sensor right above the oil filter housing. If anything touches that sending unit, it will ground it, and the light will stay on...I have a wire cover (covering my oil temp and oil pressure wires) that would trip the sensor - PITA to figure out ...

Do you know your REAL oil pressure ? I would not replace the switch until you verify your oil pressure is fine.
lol. Well, that would involve putting a gauge in. Why would you check that before changing the sensor? The sensor was $6. If I install it, and the problem go's away, didn't I fix the problem? I understand what your saying, but this was supposed to be an easy quick fix. If the problem persists after the new part, then it's another issue, right?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptianSellout
lol. Well, that would involve putting a gauge in. Why would you check that before changing the sensor? The sensor was $6. If I install it, and the problem go's away, didn't I fix the problem? I understand what your saying, but this was supposed to be an easy quick fix. If the problem persists after the new part, then it's another issue, right?
Grrrrrrr .......you seem to know what you're doing so get to work, fix the problem, and come back on here and post your resolution...

FWIW I was simply asking a question regarding your oil pressure.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cij911
Grrrrrrr .......you seem to know what you're doing so get to work, fix the problem, and come back on here and post your resolution...

FWIW I was simply asking a question regarding your oil pressure.
Sorry. I appreciate your help. I just wanted an explanation of why.

Anyway, heres what I found! I crawled under the car and I found it! Looks though it can't be pulled without draining the oil. The connection seemed tight, but it's dirty. I guess I'll replace it next oil change.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Switch-photo-2.jpg  
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:35 AM

Hey BTW...What is this connection for? It was all taped up with electrical tape. Seems solid.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Switch-photo-1.jpg  
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Yes on changing it when you do your next oil change...The connector just slides off the sensor - from memory I believe it is like a female connector. Regarding the wire, just make sure the wire is not exposed and touching the block or any metal as that will ground the sensor and trigger the light.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, glad you figured it out. Sorry if my post with the evo 8 location confused you.

d
Old Sep 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
OP, glad you figured it out. Sorry if my post with the evo 8 location confused you.

d
....it's great to have these subtle differences between the 8s & 9s...I'm just glad he did not touch his knock sensor as brenner was trying to get him to do ....

Old Sep 5, 2010, 02:08 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by donour

d
The IX is just the VIII perfected over, isn't it? I'll follow up once I get the part changed out. Hopefully that's what the problem is. Thanks everybody for your help.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

that is so weird. i had no idea the block of the 4g63 had that change between the 8/9

kinda silly, and personally, the 8 location seems better. you dont have to jack the car up, you dont have to drain the oil. nothing comes out when you swap the sensor.

good luck! and apologies on my end for my advice for an 8 sensor.

b

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Switch