Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Converting T-Case to FWD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Converting T-Case to FWD

First off let me explain that my chassis is built for FWD-only right now. That is the reason I need to convert my Evo transfer case to FWD. I simply don't have the off-time to fabricate the AWD rear...yet.

So with that out of the way, can any of you give me some insight on the process? I've been doing some research and that tells me to remove the rear shaft and weld the spider gears together, much like a welded rear diff. Following that, I fabricate a cover plate and close up the transfer-case.

What I want to know is, have any of you done this? Are there any other options beside installing an AWD rear?

I appreciate any help. I don't want to see any posts saying "FWD sucks, why would you do that?". I just explained my situation and this is my current and most cost/time effective option. Plus I already know, FWD sucks

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you're putting this in your Mirage? Have you checked to see if there is even room up in there for the transfer case without serious modification to the chassis?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I would personally wait until you can do it right...less time & money to do it right the first time...
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah it's going into the Mirage. There is room there to install everything. I may need to take a small amount of metal off the subframe, if anything.

And I would wait, but it I'm still doing a lot of research on fitting the AWD rear. Not the most documented subject out there, unfortunately. That and it's my DD
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by BCspeed34
Yeah it's going into the Mirage. There is room there to install everything. I may need to take a small amount of metal off the subframe, if anything.

And I would wait, but it I'm still doing a lot of research on fitting the AWD rear. Not the most documented subject out there, unfortunately. That and it's my DD
what do you need to know?

if you were going FWD, i'd just get a 4g6* fwd gearbox and be done with it...
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

The only possible gearbox is the one from an Eclipse and that would be too expensive to look into.

I guess what I need to know is, is welding the center diff gears the only option I have with the transfer case? or are them some methods of converting it to FWD that may be reversible?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this sort of thing.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Weld the center diff, pull the tailshaft off the T-case and fab a block off plate. There is no easily reversible manner in which to do this.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Weld the center diff, pull the tailshaft off the T-case and fab a block off plate. There is no easily reversible manner in which to do this.
this is prolly your only option currently
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
i would have thought there would be a Galant or legnum gearbox that could work?
you'll probably have to import it in though
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

The transmission on a 3G Eclipse 2.4L could work but they would have an issue with clearance (starter is where turbo will be) and they are pretty uncommon.

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like I'll have it welded up.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theyre not that uncommon actually, and how about a ralliart transmission. same bolt pattern but i believe the starter is in the rear. from a 2004-2006 ralliart.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

3g eclipse trannys are everywhere. As for starter clearance just use a manifold spacer
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

So I finally got around to starting my swap. Right now I am torn between going FWD and going AWD. If I stay FWD I will have access to my car sooner, but will sacrifice tearing apart my transmission and permanently weld the center diff.

However if I go AWD it will further push back my timeline and I don't necessarily have the funds available right now.

So in my thoughts, I would like to know if it is safe to drive without the rear shaft? I know it must be removed and then covered to prevent spilling fluid, but would it operate safely? And I am talking about sub 4k rpm, slow city driving.

Thanks for the help. Any input is appreciated!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll burn out the viscous coupler Brent, you don't wanna run that tranny in fwd without work. The ralliart tranny is the best option. It should bolt right up an they're much cheaper than the eclipse gearbox. Check ebay.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Alchem1st
You'll burn out the viscous coupler Brent, you don't wanna run that tranny in fwd without work. The ralliart tranny is the best option. It should bolt right up an they're much cheaper than the eclipse gearbox. Check ebay.
I think you need to permanently lock the viscous coupling. Then, you still have the front differential. I'm not sure how you would do this. Maybe someone knows.

Quick Reply: Converting T-Case to FWD