Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Random knocking problem...for 2 years :(

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if to 20-30% leakage then sure, but 8%???? i dont think so.. you're going to scare him for no reason.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea the leakdown isnt bad at all...since thats the cylinder with lower compression it fits that there should be more leak... tscompusa has been great with helping my track down the problem...he has given me tune after tune trying different fueling and/or timing maps and giving me advice what to look for... he goes above an beyond what i've experienced before...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well since uve been tryin to rule it out maybe u should try swappin the plugs out instead of running one step colder, try stock heat range....uve already gone this far to diagnose...cheap possible fix.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dastallion951
well since uve been tryin to rule it out maybe u should try swappin the plugs out instead of running one step colder, try stock heat range....uve already gone this far to diagnose...cheap possible fix.
it is 99% phantom knock. it doesn't care what timing or fuel we use, and it keeps occurring at the same rpm 3800~.

Waiting for him to test my new rom, then i will just filter it out. Hes using the right plugs for his application, i dont see the plugs being the problem here.

The only thing questionable I can think of is the external dumptube like someone else mentioned to him on here is interrupting things. That and kelford cams are a pain when it comes to phantom knock.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Ive tried stock heat range plugs as well and no difference..

And just to let everyone know..this has been an issue with my car for a while.. I had it at Iveys and they couldnt narrow down why it was knocking but did say it wasnt because of the tune. I have had countless people look at my tune and try to try to fix it with fuel and timing and nothing has work...by NO means has it been the tuner thats at fault...I just wanted to say the tscompusa has been the MOST helpful with trying different tunes as well as advising me on what to check mechanically on my car...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well lets see what else it could be?? all the valvetrain was reinstalled properly??.... could your wastegate not be preloaded right??? sorry not tryin to throw ideas out of my ***....just tryin to help resolve the issue...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yea everything on the valvetrain was reinstalled properly.. Im curious about the wastegate but i never touched it...and my load values arent out of what so the turbo isnt trying to overcompensate for the lose of boost so i dont really think its a problem... and thanks for throwing things out there...

I think we have it narrowed down to a noise valvetrain from the kelfords plus the o2 dump...it seems to set the sensor off at the same rpm every time..3800rpms right around when the o2 dump is full open..

we are working on tuning the sensor now Ill keep everyone up to date on the progress...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting.

Sean

Originally Posted by xexitenglishx
Ive tried stock heat range plugs as well and no difference..

And just to let everyone know..this has been an issue with my car for a while.. I had it at Iveys and they couldnt narrow down why it was knocking but did say it wasnt because of the tune. I have had countless people look at my tune and try to try to fix it with fuel and timing and nothing has work...by NO means has it been the tuner thats at fault...I just wanted to say the tscompusa has been the MOST helpful with trying different tunes as well as advising me on what to check mechanically on my car...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

ignoring the past issues with knock, the car currently has phantom knock with stock valve-springs & kelfords, not only that but right around the same harmonic @ 3800 rpm? seems pretty obvious & other posters have even mentioned it, the kelfords are noisy cams........ add springs & report back
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to bump but I have Kelford 272's and I'm getting the phantom knock. It's mostly mid-range knock. Me and my tuner have tried every possible combination as far as the tune and no avail. Other symptoms are bad cold start, very low vacuum (-12 to -14), and worst of all, it falls flat on it's face until about 2000 rpms when driving normal. AFR's are good and timing is good.

Now all symptoms are pointing to too much valve overlap. I think the stock turbo setups are getting even more knock in the mid-range because the exhaust backpressure in the manifold is greater at a lower rpm because of the quicker spool. I don't think all the exhaust is exiting and some is remaining in the cylinder during the intake stroke causing a hot air fuel mixture.

I used to have an LS1 Trans Am and had a huge cam (MS4) with a 110 LSA. A 110 LSA was the most valve overlap you could get with this cam and it had the exact same characteristics (bad vacuum, bog below 2000 rpms).

I'm 95% sure that closing the overlap with adjustable cam gears will solve the problem but it will be a couple weeks before I can test my theory.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
Sorry to bump but I have Kelford 272's and I'm getting the phantom knock. It's mostly mid-range knock. Me and my tuner have tried every possible combination as far as the tune and no avail. Other symptoms are bad cold start, very low vacuum (-12 to -14), and worst of all, it falls flat on it's face until about 2000 rpms when driving normal. AFR's are good and timing is good.

Now all symptoms are pointing to too much valve overlap. I think the stock turbo setups are getting even more knock in the mid-range because the exhaust backpressure in the manifold is greater at a lower rpm because of the quicker spool. I don't think all the exhaust is exiting and some is remaining in the cylinder during the intake stroke causing a hot air fuel mixture.

I used to have an LS1 Trans Am and had a huge cam (MS4) with a 110 LSA. A 110 LSA was the most valve overlap you could get with this cam and it had the exact same characteristics (bad vacuum, bog below 2000 rpms).

I'm 95% sure that closing the overlap with adjustable cam gears will solve the problem but it will be a couple weeks before I can test my theory.
you need a new tuner.. you can pm me if you like.

1. e70 requires IPW adjustments for cold/warm starting

2. the kelford 272 create excessive valvetrain noise which require filtering out on the knock sensor very carefully

3. it is a turbo vehicle, it will feel dead until its fully spooled to a certain extent lol.

and last the OP's issues were indeed excessive valvetrain noise created by the cams.. same issue you're experiencing and everyone else with kelford cams for the most part
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to reply and say talk to tom...i see he already got here though. Great tuner btw!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
Kelford 272s here and my cold starts are dismal; feels like 3 cylinders slapping around until warm.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Kelford 272's here and my buddy has the 280's. We both have back to back pulls where the first one will have zero knock from 2000rpm to 7500rpm, and the very next pull... identical pull.... get knock around 2200-3250rpms. It's random, it doesn't matter what we throw at it. He has recently (this week) paid someone well respected here to retune his car. I'm very anxious to see how they finally beat it down.

So can someone enlighten me how to filter out this patch in my rom? I'm on Tephra v 5.10 94170015. THanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

in the ecuflash section look up the knock filter codes. Add them into ecuflash. Then do some research on tuning the knock filters. Basically you look for the range where the knock is happening at random and only desensitize the sensor in those areas "just" until there is no more random knock being picked up. That way you have a safe tune so if you still knock it will catch it but the random phantom knock wont show up..

Quick Reply: Random knocking problem...for 2 years :(