Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

is it worth the risk of buying a used twin disc to rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
Not to jack the OP's thread but Aaron I have an important question and I feel the rest of the community would benefit if it was public:

I was told that Exedy triple clutch is harder on the transmission then say a twin. Is this true? and If so, how much worse is it on the transmission? Ive experienced my clutch slip already, so i know im reaching the limits on my twin.
i heard the same thing from will, he had talked to someone and was informed that the twin hd is supposedly the maximum the transmission can handle before it starts tearing itself apart

and your setup with the exception of the 2.3(im doing a lr 2.0) is exactly what im in the process of
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
in most power goals a triple is to much the exedy twin can hold a ton of power and easier on the foot. Mine is used on I bought then sent it to strictly modified for a complete overhaul to make it brand new status 630 for all new parts dics pressure plate etc. I bought the clutch off ebay for 380 shipped so 1010 for a brand new in the game clutch installed rode on easy for 1000 miles then taken to dyno to lay down 584whp and not even consider slipping more power to come I say buy use send to honest shop like strictly modified let them fully inspect and rebuild with all parts you need
Dude why do you even bother replying to a thread that you know NOTHING about? Have you ever driven a triple disk? Or driven a twin? The triples pedal feel is no different than the twin. so no, your "workout city" would not come into play.

Im glad to know that my clutch "wont think about slipping" at 535tq.

Now, OP. I am in the same boat. I bought a used twin, rebuilt it and its been awesome at 515/400 on pump. Im now thinking of going bigger, and have been debating if the twin will hold more power...or if i need to upgrade to a triple. Some say it will hold it fine, others say it will slip first dyno pull. Id say be safe and go for the triple.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

the 2 previous posters both have 500+hp cars and no problems so far but im just worried about it holding after launches at that power
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did 600tq on the twin, but on a long trip it started to slip pretty bad. I'm not sure whether that was abuse related or just the engine getting hot during the 500 mile trip. Other then that long trip, ive never experienced it acting up before really. Someone told me i could have glazed over the clutch from cruising with it at 80mph~ for long periods of time.. dont know how much truth to that is.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

interesting, so it was fine after that?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

yep, haven't slipped since then
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo01s2k
Dude why do you even bother replying to a thread that you know NOTHING about? Have you ever driven a triple disk? Or driven a twin? The triples pedal feel is no different than the twin. so no, your "workout city" would not come into play.

Im glad to know that my clutch "wont think about slipping" at 535tq.

Now, OP. I am in the same boat. I bought a used twin, rebuilt it and its been awesome at 515/400 on pump. Im now thinking of going bigger, and have been debating if the twin will hold more power...or if i need to upgrade to a triple. Some say it will hold it fine, others say it will slip first dyno pull. Id say be safe and go for the triple.
lol you can look at all the parts i have owned public knowledge boss yes i have 3 exedy clutches so im sure i know the difference anywho. tscompusa maybe the slipping was due to the first br motor experiencing the issues i guess we will never know unless you decide to retune for that power again. And as the op stated if you know for a fact you are going over 600tq then get the triple
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

to twin or to triple, now that is the question....hmm im going to have to think about this ALOT
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

tscompusa maybe the slipping was due to the first br motor experiencing the issues i guess we will never know unless you decide to retune for that power again.
The only way it could be motor related is if the oil seal case was leaking oil past the seal and i dont think that happened, because i didn't smell any oil.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

well judging by both of your builds its almost possible that ill get close to it on e85
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

according to AMS site exedy twin ratings

Max Torque Drag - 455

Max Torque Street/Road Race - 563

Be warned by me if you getting close to our builds its pricey LOL. Had i known it was going to cost this much in the end I would have be like woah no way but once you need deep in the situation you have to roll with the punches and pay what comes up in front of you. my tuning is not done yet. once i add stronger spring ill be in 600 like tscompusa just hope low boost can be set between 26-30 psi for my pump gas map and all will be good
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lol you can look at all the parts i have owned public knowledge boss yes i have 3 exedy clutches so im sure i know the difference anywho.
what three exedys? all evos? were some HD and some not? all these factor into how the clutch pedal will feel. i have driven many clutches including exedy triple carbons and tiltons and i have to say the easiest clutch to drive on the street was the carbon, draw back was that it tore it self up daily driving as they are really ment only for racing, the tilton was crap for DD but sweet at the track as thats what it was ment for. SO far the best clutch i have driven is my exedy triple cerametalic with the clutch fork stop(helps when you have to have some more spirited driving) easy on the leg when cruising around town and easy to launch on the 1320. Before its asked my car also has over 500whp/397tq and has achieved low 10 sec 1/4 mile times on 93 pump. I have tested this clutch in many conditions and taught my wife how to drive stick on this clutch. hope this helps you some
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

judging by the mixed reviews i thinnk im going to splurge on the triple and be covered instead of guessing...peace of mind i suppose.

back to the rebuilding topic though, i know you can completely rebuild these but there has to come a time when the cover/pressure plate is no longer useable..
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
what three exedys? all evos? were some HD and some not? all these factor into how the clutch pedal will feel. i have driven many clutches including exedy triple carbons and tiltons and i have to say the easiest clutch to drive on the street was the carbon, draw back was that it tore it self up daily driving as they are really ment only for racing, the tilton was crap for DD but sweet at the track as thats what it was ment for. SO far the best clutch i have driven is my exedy triple cerametalic with the clutch fork stop(helps when you have to have some more spirited driving) easy on the leg when cruising around town and easy to launch on the 1320. Before its asked my car also has over 500whp/397tq and has achieved low 10 sec 1/4 mile times on 93 pump. I have tested this clutch in many conditions and taught my wife how to drive stick on this clutch. hope this helps you some
yes all evo clutches for various reasons. Good to know some information about the other clutches if i ever wanted 650+ i would def get a triple but i just dont see the need in that much power to be honest for what im going to use the car for.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

according to AMS site exedy twin ratings

Max Torque Drag - 455

Max Torque Street/Road Race - 563

Be warned by me if you getting close to our builds its pricey LOL. Had i known it was going to cost this much in the end I would have be like woah no way but once you need deep in the situation you have to roll with the punches and pay what comes up in front of you. my tuning is not done yet. once i add stronger spring ill be in 600 like tscompusa just hope low boost can be set between 26-30 psi for my pump gas map and all will be good
from my experience you will be able to run over 30psi on 93oct.

Quick Reply: is it worth the risk of buying a used twin disc to rebuild?