Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone had FP Black Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had FP Black Issues?

Ok, I've been searching for about 2 hours and went through countless thread posts and pages. I really havent found anything that truely turns me off to the Black.

What im looking for is, anyone that had issues with the FP Black that wasn't their fault. I know you have to fun special oil, I use AMS Oil anyway so im not worried about that. But, what happened to yours? Did FP take care of you? How long did it last? Do you still have it on the car?

Basically im looking at the Black or a HTA 86. In the end it will cost me about the same and I'm leaning more towards the black for stockish look. Better spool time, and the power capability is perfect...I really dont need to go faster than the black will push me. In still on a stock bottom end anyway.

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Dec 20, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

subscribed
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You may want to PM "RyuEvoIX", something happened with his FP Black and he switched. Didn't sound like FP gave him any grief and he ended up going with an HTA 3582 (I believe).
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

mike get the hta86, leave the stock appearing to me
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

FP has great customer service and post purchase support...not to mention the best warranty in the turbo market....
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Pls feel free to pm me. I don't want to start a war in this thread. That's not why I made this.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no war needs to be started if there is a issue and your using the proper oil and proper lines FP will fix it. they have even been known to fix a turbo outside of warranty for a customer they have the best in the business as far as turbos go and will take care of you go fp black and never look back you know what its capable of. Mike had his at 720whp dont know if your shooting for that but nice to know its possible should you want to spend the funds to get there.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BURNALL_4
Basically im looking at the Black or a HTA 86. In the end it will cost me about the same and I'm leaning more towards the black for stockish look. Better spool time, and the power capability is perfect...I really dont need to go faster than the black will push me. In still on a stock bottom end anyway.
Will the stock bottom end hold up to the black? I have a IX turbo that I am going to send to get built and just can't decide on if I should go with the black.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MR BURTON69
Will the stock bottom end hold up to the black? I have a IX turbo that I am going to send to get built and just can't decide on if I should go with the black.
put it this way

LONG AS your below 420tq you will not be on borrowed time before it can blow at any moment. The fp black will generate more power then the fp red but you also get that 200 rpms more of lag. Now of course thats not really noticeable but still there. Most say on stock motor its really better to go fp red because you can take full advantage of it and not add more lag to make the 400-470whp your going to make with it on stock block. NOW IF YOUR defiantly going to be building the bottom in for sure get the black to save time and you will be able to up the boost once shortie is built. if your staying with stock block and going to work with that then fp red is the better choice hands down. NO point in having more lag then you need to for a stock block car. before you ask the hta green is a tq machine so avoid that with stock block LOL.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
no war needs to be started if there is a issue and your using the proper oil and proper lines FP will fix it. they have even been known to fix a turbo outside of warranty for a customer they have the best in the business as far as turbos go and will take care of you go fp black and never look back you know what its capable of. Mike had his at 720whp dont know if your shooting for that but nice to know its possible should you want to spend the funds to get there.
Very well said..

They are top notch far as the Warranty is concerned.. I had to wait couple of month but repair was done for free.. Out of warranty date by alot too..

Far as turbo selection. I kind of miss my red.. black just has too much top end for the streets..

Last edited by keath; Dec 20, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
When people have had their turbo warrantied. Where you the original purchaser of the turbo (receipt in your name) or did you buy it from some one (non vendor or store) ? Whether if it was brand new never installed or used.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Doubtful that any members will post any negative feedback regarding FP. Many members have had their accounts disabled because they posted negative feedback about paying vendors.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my Black for a year now with no issues.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ You have a FP black? How did I not know that!?!

That makes me want to drive over your way for a ride!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Doubtful that any members will post any negative feedback regarding FP. Many members have had their accounts disabled because they posted negative feedback about paying vendors.
That's utter nonsense. This board let an anonymous poll continue for months with many people claiming failures of turbos that they didn't even own, with no backup whatsoever, which was a real disservice to FP and the Evo turbo buying public.

When you actually look at the large population of real FP turbo owning Evo enthusiasts you find that (1) the FP turbo failure rate is very low; (2) many, if not most, of the real failures were due to owners not using the new oil feed lines that are necessary, or the wrong oil, or internal debris in the engine, and (3) FP has the best warranty, and the best service in the entire industry in the unlikely event that you ever need it.

The Black has the highest air flow and HP rating, but also has the characteristic of coming on a little higher in the RPM band than the Red, and of course, the HTA Green. That frankly gives your bottom end less danger of the low end torque damaging your rods, because the torque comes in higher in the RPM band.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had FP Black Issues?