Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

OS Giken triple VS QM twin clutch review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OS Giken triple VS QM twin clutch review

i do not have much info on the OS Giken clutch but i planned to do a review on it VS my QM clutch i had.

as for the QM clutch. it lasted me 5500ish miles on the original unit. about 50 passes at the track. 14 of them 10 second passes from 10.7 to 10.3 from 131 to 141 MPH. once it started to slip for me it was down hill. i had new disks put in and floater plates and then drove to ohio. made 2 passes and drove home. once i got home it was slipping again. so i did the hub mod to the new disks and right off the lift it was slipping. what was the issue i dont know. IMO the flywheel needed to be turned. but i had enough of it. so i bought the OS giken triple plate clutch.

i only have about 75 miles on the OS Giken clutch. its winter time and the car gets parked until March/April. so that's when i can really get to use the clutch. but i will talk a little bit about noise and drive ability.

noise.
its much much quieter then the QM was. the deceleration noise is greatly reduced. it still makes noise but nothing like the QM did.

drive ability
lets just say i enjoyed every bit of the 75 miles i have on it. it engaged/disengaged like my exedy twin HD did. it is so easy to drive. granted its new and is a little touchy i can tell once it breaks in it will be leeps over the QM for street use.

other then that for now all i have is a bunch of pics comparing the to clutches

OS GIKEN

QM TWIN

DISK COMPARISON

ignore the scale. it is in LBS. just the dot is in the wrong spot sometimes.

some install shots.

Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice review man, let us know how it turns out once you get some more miles on it.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I luv mine... Evodan2004, which model did you get ?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 38six
I luv mine... Evodan2004, which model did you get ?
hum. how do i tell? i would figure IVEY-TUNE. would not give me a base model. i dont know. its a triple plate with aluminum PP.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
hum. how do i tell? i would figure IVEY-TUNE. would not give me a base model. i dont know. its a triple plate with aluminum PP.
Billet alluminum is definitely one of the race versions. I don't know which version it is, but my guess would be the R3CD.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What is the torque rating and how much does it cost?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Os Giken sent us a clutch to test out, and I can say it is THE BEST multiplate clutch ive ever driven on.

I havent launched it (I simply dont do that)... so I dont know the long term hold-up as far as launching goes, but the driveability, engagement, high rpm shift ability is fantastic.

cb
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 38six
Billet alluminum is definitely one of the race versions. I don't know which version it is, but my guess would be the R3CD.
Yea r3cd was the number on the box. Or something like that.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Chad said as well as they underate they clutches by a decent margin. I have an R2CD that will be installed early next yr. Glad more people are starting to use this clutch. I've only read great feedback from all current users. I have to thank my buddy Pete for telling me about these clutches. Also, if you guys have any q's, Sean at OS Giken is a wealth of information. I'm sure this clutch is going to work well in your car Dan
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
Yea r3cd was the number on the box. Or something like that.
Yeah you got the best of the best for extreme hp street/race application. I got the R2CD in both my evos. What kind of pwr are you making ?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
What is the torque rating and how much does it cost?
I don't think they give tq ratings...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I like the throw out bearing/clutch fork design. It looks nicer then the carbonetic clutch one. I've wonder if the QM Hydraulic TOB would work with this set up too???
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The only thing that stears me away from the OS is that i get really good pricing on an Exedy Triple....But in my experiance OS Giken is the best clutch u can get.

Whats the price point on a clutch like this?? ballpark??
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
Os Giken sent us a clutch to test out, and I can say it is THE BEST multiplate clutch ive ever driven on.

I havent launched it (I simply dont do that)... so I dont know the long term hold-up as far as launching goes, but the driveability, engagement, high rpm shift ability is fantastic.

cb
Chad,

is it the R2CD with a billet cover? That is supposed to be a twin with spring dampers (I assume akin to the Exedy HD).

How does it compare to the Exedy HD with noise, liveability, etc...or is it strictly a racing clutch?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I have a r2cd or whatever they call twin in a friends 35r car, car makes ~600 HP daily. The clutch drives great and shifted pretty well, Prolly as good as the exert twin but no where near as good as the qm clutch. After a few launch the OS giken was not liking it. I Def don't think the twin will hold up to a drag racer.

Keep us posted how the triple holds up, whats the cost on the tripple, I know the twin was salty.

Fathouse

Quick Reply: OS Giken triple VS QM twin clutch review