Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD Problem-All 3 lights on

Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ACD Problem-All 3 lights on

Sorry for another ACD problem but Ive been searching for a while and have not found anything that quite suits my situation.

I bought my Evo 7 with 4k miles and now i am at 16k. The car is well taken care of and i do whatever i can. Over here it is snowing really bad every week. Every time it snows and becomes cold, my ABS light comes on from ice and snow inside the wheels and freezing on the caliper. If i take off the wheel and clean off the snow and ice, the lights goes away. Yesterday, the light came on again, but also came on with the ACD lights. Ive checked the fluids and its perfect. i doubt i need to bleed the system.

All 3 lights come on only after moving for about 200 feet regardless of turning or going straight. i can Idle forever and all 3 will NOT go on. only after moving. Speed is no issue either. i can move slow for 200 feet and all 3 will come on.

I hope its not anything serious.
sorry for another ACD/AYC pump question.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If its built like the Evo 9 ACD system then it uses the ABS sensors to control the ACD. Check those first.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BiFfMaN
If its built like the Evo 9 ACD system then it uses the ABS sensors to control the ACD. Check those first.
Hmmm. So clearing the ABS light would end in clearing the 3 lights?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
should...the ACD will get its wheel speed indication from those sensors. When one goes out the ACD goes into standby mode.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car does the exact same thing it can idle all day but once I drive for a little bit they come on I have an 05 and I did the test where u turn the key and hold the gas to the floor after a few seconds and my pump came on so idk someone said try resetting the acd but idk how to do that
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

happend to me.. brought the car to dealer and my acd pump went bad. if your car is still under warranty i suggest u do that or go run a scanner on your car to see wat it could be
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Is a special program err scanner needed to check for ACD codes? All 3 of my lights have been coming on lately only in the morning, when its the coldest and by the time I leave work it's back to normal. Using my obd2 scanner I only have the normal obd2 codes so how can I pull the ACD codes?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If the ABS light comes first, followed by the ACD / AYC lights:
Failure of one/multiple of the ABS sensors ( also broken wires or broken sensor rings possible )
It takes longer time for an Sensor fault to show up at the ACD / AYC system.

If only the ACD /AYC lights show up, but ABS stays off and works:
Failure in Pump Unit

I am rebuilding these ACD and AYC pumps here in Europe, so i am more that familiar with these codes and Errors

Pump Failure codes are almost everytime 80, 81, 82

To track down your issue :
Read the ABS Codes and the ACD codes to verify what sensor does the code.
Evoscan with an 1.3U cable will work ( the evoscan Cable )

If you could not get one ( borrow one ) you will have to let the dealer check it with the MUT III.

Last edited by german_evoVII; Jan 22, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

i Appreciate the input guys. thanks alot
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:26 PM

Does the three lights being on affect anything other than the acd not working cuz the awd still works?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

The AWD will still work, but almost as an VW syncro or an Subaru

The center Diff is working only in open mode,and the hydraulic clutch pack can not route the both axles together.

On snow, it is noticeable, on dry roads /with stock power you will not have an different feeling.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

I snapped an ABS wire while autoxing. all 3 ACD lights come on. ABS no longer works. check the resistance of each sensor. if you find one that is out of wack, then replace it
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by german_evoVII
The AWD will still work, but almost as an VW syncro or an Subaru

The center Diff is working only in open mode,and the hydraulic clutch pack can not route the both axles together.

On snow, it is noticeable, on dry roads /with stock power you will not have an different feeling.
Yeah I have a decent amount of stuff done to mine and my car does fine in snow I don't drive it to much because I have potenzas on my car, that's what was there when I bought it before u criticize for buying potenzas in Iowa lol, but idk I wanna get it taken care of but if it is a pump failure wouldn't that show up even at an idle?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

that will depending what type of failure it has.

If the errors 80 to 82, then the pump itself is shot ( but can be repaired, but i believe i am the only one which offers that service worldwide, since no parts available from Mitsubishi )
I have done app. 80 pumps until now ( 10 USDM front ones and 70 JDM / EDM rear ones )
This errors come up after getting the pump activated by driving after a few yards ( or by the WOT 5 seconds after Ignition on, engine not running , ACD Light on after 25 seconds )

Any other faults, like pressure sensor or System malfunction codes are possible accident damages or wiring loom things, beside an not well bleed ACD system after an clutch change and or wrong fluid.
There might be also an delay in the check light, depending on Pump pressure / driving

Last edited by german_evoVII; Jan 22, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

to fix the problem u need to put acd oil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACD Problem-All 3 lights on