Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3" GM MAF Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how's your afr when the temps change from hot/cold outside with the gm maf/maf-t? I imagine you have a fixed iat signal going to the ecu so it's not going to compensate as it should. also you'll be missing the baro signal so it's not going to compensate for altitude changes either.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibberish, lol.... I have no idea what you really said there. I don't know too much about the GM MAF and I know jack about tuning.

I just got the car about 3 weeks ago and it had the gm maf on it. The temps are still pretty cold right now so I wouldn't have noticed any real changes. AFR's are pretty rich while cruising at 10.2 and fluctuating and they are about 13ish at WOT. I really need a new tune so you can take those with a grain of salt.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
how's your afr when the temps change from hot/cold outside with the gm maf/maf-t? I imagine you have a fixed iat signal going to the ecu so it's not going to compensate as it should. also you'll be missing the baro signal so it's not going to compensate for altitude changes either.
The mechanics of the GM Hotwire MAF and Mitsu KV MAF are different in how airflow is calculated. This is one thing about the MAFT I don't like...but...

I drove from Northern California to Central Texas on a MAFT+GM3.5 MAF, didn't log anything, but nothing was out of whack as far as cruise/wot/idle/etc on an innovate LC1/Innovate Gauge combo. WOT stayed pegged at 11.1:1 wherever I was at---and I did a lot of 'merging.'

The car was even dyno tuned with the stock Mitsu MAF, but idled at 12:1 no matter what. Nothing short of rigging a stock MAF pipe to the GT35R inlet cured that issue. I didn't want to put the kind of stress on the oil/rings/etc at idle for the long trip. If scaling were pulled back, the ECU would not be fast enough to compensate for tip in and the car would stutter until out of the adjusted MAF scaling range. OT, sorry.

Actually it was the most pleasant drive I have had in a while because the idle NEVER dipped (another big pipe mitsu MAF issue) and always stayed pegged at stoich lol. 14.7-15ish cruise all the way. almost 290 miles per tank.

I'd say it's pretty safe and when using an exotic setup like that, there must be more done to the motor to warrant that modification and a wideband is highly recommended. Even with ECU SD, no WB is a death sentence.

MAFT setups are not cheap, but they still are useful for some peoples' setups. I still say stick with it lol. Have fun modding. Don't forget to get dyno tuned again!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GrnEVO
Gibberish, lol.... I have no idea what you really said there. I don't know too much about the GM MAF and I know jack about tuning.

I just got the car about 3 weeks ago and it had the gm maf on it. The temps are still pretty cold right now so I wouldn't have noticed any real changes. AFR's are pretty rich while cruising at 10.2 and fluctuating and they are about 13ish at WOT. I really need a new tune so you can take those with a grain of salt.
Make sure your wideband O2 is free air callibrated. If it is and its not bad, don't floor it anymore and get a tune immediatley.

Those numbers are way off!

EDIT: The MAFT also has to be adjusted. Take that into account when getting tuned.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm gonna get some exact afr's tomorrow morning on the way to work. I know you said not to floor it to WOT anymore, but I have to know and log the exact numbers. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for the replies though.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the maf-t on my TT Stealth (550awhp on pump) and had wild AFR shifts depending on the ambient temps which can swing from 60* in the morning to 95* in the afternoon some days. This caused the car to run inconsistently. It uses the same factory karman vortex maf system for what it's worth. I haven't tried a MAF-T on my own EVO but a few customers did and it made for a pretty crazy looking fuel map but it did work well enough for their needs. One other customer ditched it and went back to stock MAF.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I logged some AFRs today on the way to work. I have about a 30 minute drive and I only mention it because just in that 30 minutes, I had some wierd changes. Car was warmed up before I left the house...

In the beginning....
Idle: 10.2 and fluctuating to 10.4
Cruise: 13.4 and fluctuating to 13.8
WOT: (3rd) 11.4 and fluctuating

About 15 minutes up the road,
Idle: 10.9 fluctuating to 11.2
Cruise: 14.4 fluctuating to 14.6
WOT: (3rd) 12.4 fluctuating to 12.8

I think maybe I just need a new tune, what do you guys think?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
One other customer ditched it and went back to stock MAF.
referring to me?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Dump this mod and just go s.d your gonna thank yourself from the headache and hassles ..
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I logged some AFRs today on the way to work. I have about a 30 minute drive and I only mention it because just in that 30 minutes, I had some wierd changes. Car was warmed up before I left the house...

In the beginning....
Idle: 10.2 and fluctuating to 10.4
Cruise: 13.4 and fluctuating to 13.8
WOT: (3rd) 11.4 and fluctuating

About 15 minutes up the road,
Idle: 10.9 fluctuating to 11.2
Cruise: 14.4 fluctuating to 14.6
WOT: (3rd) 12.4 fluctuating to 12.8

I think maybe I just need a new tune, what do you guys think?
Yeah you just need a new tune. Seems like you have a rough tune on there or things have changed since your last one. Your WAY rich on idle and a little too lean up top (to my standards).

Unless you have a pre-callibrated WBO2, try re-doing a free-air callibration and see if the numbers sway. Have a reputable tuner here fix those numbers...seems like nothing that can't be handled over e-mail for these guys. They may have you "zero out" the MAFT and retune your ECU from that point on. I would.

Cruise looks good lol.

Good luck man.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm heading up to Force-Fed in Fayetteville by next weekend so I'm not too worried. Things were a little crazy today though.

This morning the car jumped to 3k rpms upon start up and eventually when it warmed up it dropped back to normal idle (1100k) Then the **** hit the fan. I was cruising and barely made it out of the neighborhood before the revs started dropping and killed the car. Every time I had to stop, I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the car running. Then later in the afternoon the problem was gone but it would hesitate really bad and backfire until I got into boost. Boost would be normal then it would spike to around 34 psi and I had some compressor surge. It has done that the rest of the day. So I had to drive back home shifting around 2 - 3k so it wouldn't go into boost.

I'm gonna do a leak down test and boost leak test tomorrow and see what the hell is going on. I thought IAC but I dunno.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I'm heading up to Force-Fed in Fayetteville by next weekend so I'm not too worried. Things were a little crazy today though.

This morning the car jumped to 3k rpms upon start up and eventually when it warmed up it dropped back to normal idle (1100k) Then the **** hit the fan. I was cruising and barely made it out of the neighborhood before the revs started dropping and killed the car. Every time I had to stop, I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the car running. Then later in the afternoon the problem was gone but it would hesitate really bad and backfire until I got into boost. Boost would be normal then it would spike to around 34 psi and I had some compressor surge. It has done that the rest of the day. So I had to drive back home shifting around 2 - 3k so it wouldn't go into boost.

I'm gonna do a leak down test and boost leak test tomorrow and see what the hell is going on. I thought IAC but I dunno.
Seem like you have some mechanical issues that need to be ironed out. Once they are, I'm 100% sure Force Fed can tune your car and make you a happy camper.

+1 on the boost leak test. It will save time if you tell the tuner that you have done this and corrected any issues.

Do not let your car overboost/drive easy and post some numbers after the tune heh.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm driving easy as I can without stalling right now, lol. I'm gonna do the boost leak test tomorrow and fix anything I can. I'm also thinking part of my issue could be an old IAC, the car does have over 80k miles but the motor only has about 13k. I ordered new plugs (bpr7es) and I'm gonna do an oil change and any "tune up" maintenence that I can before I go. I PM'd Jason today to see what it would cost to just go SD so I may just say f--- the GM MAF
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm driving easy as I can without stalling right now, lol. I'm gonna do the boost leak test tomorrow and fix anything I can. I'm also thinking part of my issue could be an old IAC, the car does have over 80k miles but the motor only has about 13k. I ordered new plugs (bpr7es) and I'm gonna do an oil change and any "tune up" maintenence that I can before I go. I PM'd Jason today to see what it would cost to just go SD so I may just say f--- the GM MAF
If the price is right, go for it. Join the SD bandwagon--I do agree it keeps getting better--you just need a good tuner to make everything turn-key. You will be able to run your BOV and intake pipe of choice just like running a GM MAF/MAFT in your location.

I knew I stayed up countless hours back in 2008 disassembling and re-assembling and adding and taking away from the MAF fueling routine for a good cause lol.

I'm still trying to defend the MAF lol/but I really don't care. Let us know what Force-Fed thinks.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Will do. Thanks for checking back in. I'll keep everyone posted. I might even make a thread of a good comparison between the 2 when it's all said and done

Quick Reply: 3" GM MAF Question