Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Differentials Setup

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differentials Setup

Hi to all pals. I have a street/weekend warrior evo vi tme that usually road race and drag. I'm thinking in reinforcing my transmission, but it's really SO expensive to send mine to shep or tre and bring it back to Peru (Latin America), so i'm thinking on swaping differentials and buying new synchros and other internal parts to make it like new.
I've read that because our cars suffer of understeer, it would be better to swap our center diff with a cusco or gsc unit that will send more power to the rear wheels.
I've also read that before you do this it would be better to change the front and rear stock units with aftermakert diffs, so here are my doubts:

1.) What should be done first change the center diff or the front and rear ones?
2.) What rear and front diff are good for road race? (quaife, wavetrac and cusco units are the ones i've found for my car. Cusco makes 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0way diffs, what do you think could be the best for my car if i choose cusco?) My first thought was going all the diffs on quaife, but their center diff only split the power 50/50.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their opinions and comments, also sorry if my english isn't the best, haven't practice it in a while.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 04:28 PM

I have a tme too. A gsr one. Now I'm also trying to strengthen my drivetrain. Thinking of swapping my gsr to a rs diff so when I make higher horses I have nothing to worry about. Have you done any mods after this? Which aftermarket brand did u go for? Did u change ur centre diff?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Edit: just saw that this is a 5 year old post. He probably isn't around anymore.
Swapping to a Cusco front LSD essentially has no negatives, other than cost and some eventual maintenance. The center differential isn't a simple solution since the issue isn't really the power split itself, which can't really be changed. You can only really tune lock-up characteristics, and to be honest, stock center is alright if it has a good supporting cast. Going to the RS-style LSD is an upgrade for reliability and consistency, and allows you to do some actual tuning. Typically, understeer issues should be solved with suspension tuning - either by alignment, tire choice, swapping springs, and yes, a front LSD.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 03:35 PM

Was thinking of buying a eco 6 non AYC diff and transfer case for my tme. Since I heard rs one can handle more hp. Then probably from there will use a quaife centre diff to give it a tarmac power distribution. The front and rear still not sure what to do about it. Yea I asked one of my friend and he told me probably I have my alignment setup wrongly as I have a toe in front and rear positive 1.