Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Exhaust db using phone & free app

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:51 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
^haha, that sthe whole point 20 vs. 42..... quiet room vs quiet room....

i know that in my office, ~5:40am, nobody in-making noise, talking & such, the omega sound measuring device was reading 39 while the phone app was reading 40!

This phone app isnt an acid test or replacement for proper devices.

btw, what cams are you running?
Tried it again inside, even pulled the main breaker in the house, as there was just a hint of the frig running 2 rooms over (and who knows what else that was humming I could not hear). Managed to get it down to 36.
BTW, which app are you using?

What is the lowest you have ever measured, anywhere??

Tried the car again too. Got 74/75 idle (odd it got louder fully warmed up) and 89 @ 2900 RPM (use a long screwdriver against the seat for those that don't have another person around). I also tried flipping the phone around in all different directions, had pretty much no affect.

I'm on stock cams, 9 turbo, megan O2, ported stock mani and turbine housing.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought "silence" is around 30 dB anyway? I will measure my Greddy Ti later... Should be interesting.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OX
The chart that came with the phone app claims very quiet room @ 20, while it was reading 42. I just don't think it is going to be a good comparison tool from one person to another. May be good enough for before and after, but only if it is linear in it's error (again, between different phones/apps). Have read certain reviews of people who downloaded different sound level apps and them being off by 20db between them. So which app is right?
I wouldn't really worry about silent and passenger jet loud on a phone app.

From what I have read, most consumer-level db meters are only advertised as accurate for a certain range, say 30db - 120db, etc. I would imagine a phone would have less range than that.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:42 PM

Aby,

How are you liking the gsc s2 over the previous cams you had?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Started as an eBay tbe. I added a 7" round muffler to fit in the test pipe spot. I also added a 1ft 4" round resonator between that muffler and the rear one. Pretty quiet I think
can you take a picture of your exhaust, especially under the cat to see where the mufflers / resonators sit.

So i recently got into a fender bender & I had a jdm rear bumper installed. the bumper hit my old 7" x 18" muffler, so i swapped that out for the dynomax vt muffler.....only becuase i had to do something quick & I already had it.

***Outside***
94 @ 1200 rpm
xxx @ 3000 rpm

...WTF?! the phone read higher @ idle, but the note is completely different....nowhere as "basey" or "boomy". i will modify the flapper so it doesnt flap so much...
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yea I'll try to get some but it will probably be from the side.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
can you take a picture of your exhaust, especially under the cat to see where the mufflers / resonators sit.

So i recently got into a fender bender & I had a jdm rear bumper installed. the bumper hit my old 7" x 18" muffler, so i swapped that out for the dynomax vt muffler.....only becuase i had to do something quick & I already had it.

***Outside***
94 @ 1200 rpm
xxx @ 3000 rpm

...WTF?! the phone read higher @ idle, but the note is completely different....nowhere as "basey" or "boomy". i will modify the flapper so it doesnt flap so much...
Can you look inside, does the flapper rattle and or open?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Can you look inside, does the flapper rattle and or open?
yes, it flapped @ idle in dynomax factory form....

quite honestly, that muffler sucks if you have big cams....for me, it actually sounds worse in the car @ 3200 rpm.....

initially @ idle, the car sounded like it had a really bad exhaust leak

so I modified the flapper by eliminating the smaller portion of the flapper, relative to the flapper shaft..... i will get #'s & pics showing the mod later on today.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

it truly sucks that some of you live in states that care about this type of nonsense or haven't found legal loopholes around the laws as I have. Yes, some of you care about this out of personal preference and the desire for a "quiet" setup, but the rest of you worrying about this due to laws and inspection requirements, etc., I feel for you. Good luck with this little experiment Aby.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

I too had issues with the dynomax setup. It didn't like my 2.3 stroker with cams . That is why I went with the boost acutated cutout and stock catback.

I did get the rattling under control. I adjusted the wastegate arm that actuates the valve. The rattle is just about gone.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
will it be quieter to run one of these cats or a second muffler where the cat normally goes? im running a mid magnaflow muffler right now.. looking to go quieter though
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

These are the best pictures I could take at this time. If you need pictures from directly underneath I can do that but I will need some time to do it. The first 2 pictures are the 7" round muffler that sits in the stock cat location or test pipe spot. The 2 last pictures are the pics of my 12" long resonator.
Attached Thumbnails Post your Exhaust db using phone & free app-img_20110320_182518.jpg   Post your Exhaust db using phone & free app-img_20110320_182840.jpg   Post your Exhaust db using phone & free app-img_20110320_182530.jpg   Post your Exhaust db using phone & free app-img_20110320_182902.jpg  

Last edited by wizzo 8; Mar 24, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:13 AM

I was bored today and remembered this thread so I just checked out my AMS TBE with HFC for fun. Held approximately 20" away and measurements were made with the Android Smart Sound app (so I doubt this could be considered truly accurate). The car has stock cams.

Cold start idle was 93 db, spiked to 100 when the car turned on

3500 RPM was 100 db

I'm not so sure about the 100 db reading because it sounded pretty damn loud haha I figured it would be a bit higher than that.

Edit - did some research about the 100db reading and it looks like the app just doesn't go past that, not even the pro version

Last edited by deadmeat; Mar 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I used iPhone app and it only goes to 102 dB. I believe I hit that at idle with my Greddy Ti with Cosworth 272s. I revved and it didn't go any higher.

I wonder if I should switch to an RRE stealth with the stock exhaust tip. I do love the sound of the Greddy though.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just downloaded decibel meter pro on my iphone 3GS. Tomorrow i'll record the readings

My exhaust is 3" megan dp, with 3"TP, 3" junb.l cbe. I also have GSC S2's

Quick Reply: Post your Exhaust db using phone & free app