Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Re-flashed ECU and traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-flashed ECU and traveling?

As I look forward to having my ecu reflashed, Im concerned about not being able to find the correct octane when traveling. Im sure many of you with reflashed ecu's have thought the same?

I have been told to put a bottle of Octane booster in with a fill up. And I have also heard that octane boosters are not good for your car, especailly the ones with MMT in them.

Im looking at getting a 92 flash and I believe most all gas stations have 91, so I only need to get it up a little. So what will happen if I put in 91 in my evo that has a flash for 92? And also what is a good octane booster to bring with me that dosnt have MMT's in it?

I see that the NOS brand has MMT's as an additive listed on the label o thier bottles, so which one will get me up a point that dosnt have this stuff in it?

If all else fails I will go with the lessor 91 flash, but I dont want to unless I really have to. Any ideas from others that have gotten thier evo's reflashed? And I dont think I want to use Tuleane.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Just get a 91 flash. It's safer. Octane Boosters, I dont believe in them. Also heard they're bad for ur cat. If u put 91 in 92, u'll just be making less power and wouldnt hurt much. I was tuned (DYNOFLASHED) for 94 and then probably got some **** gas from CT which was a mixture of 93 and 94. I'll need to go back to Al sometime for a better tune (not time yet). I did test out the car for 1.5 hours back to NYC. Took a nap, then drove to Buffao for 7 hours. Tested the car out with both 93 and 94. it's puuuurfect. Brought me home on a high MPH and fear of cops.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Get the 91 flash if that is what is available in your area. You will still get more power when you add higher octane fuel and you won't have to worry about it when you run 91. My P2 91 octane flash works well on 91 and with higher octane gas there is still a good increase in power. I usually add 3 gallons of 76 100 octane with each tank because I can tell there is a very noticable difference even with the 91 flash. If you don't have a 76 station near you that sells 100 ctane then u can use Xylene or Toluene, you can get it from paint stores. I've run Toluene in my car and it works well. Xylene is even higher octane. Do not use off the shelf octane boosters. They are pretty much worthless and some can damage your cars sensors with repeated use.

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Last edited by mojo; Dec 14, 2003 at 11:51 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Your engine should protect itself and retard timing when knock is detected. But if forced to use a lower octane then what it should be I would just try to stay out of boost and you'll probably be OK. It's not something I would suggest doing all the time though.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

See i have 92 octane gas here,,, Ammaco, it is just when I travel and might not be able to get 92 gas and have to use 91.

I would say 97% of the time I will be using 92 gas.

I need to decided pretty soon here????????????????
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silvrevo
See i have 92 octane gas here,,, Ammaco, it is just when I travel and might not be able to get 92 gas and have to use 91.

For those customers that fall in between our 93 octane and 91 octane versions of the Brain Flash, I would recommend going with the 91 octane tune.

-- DavidV
Old Dec 15, 2003, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by silvrevo

I would say you have already answered your own question. I agree with mayhem. Get the 92 flash and stay off the boost while you are on your trip. Makes sense to me.

Have a nice trip.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I pussed out and got the 91 flash from Allen.

We will see wed. how I like it.......I guess a manual boost controller is next, after a boost gauge.........

I guess I will post my feedback in the 'I been dynoflashed thread."

But anyways what is a good boost gauge to buy? I would like one that reads in pounds, also I have seen the steering wheel pod/carbon fiber that looks like a good choice. How does the sports meter kit Mits sells stack upto the rest. Also while Im at it you can take off the manuel boost controller before getting your car servised so they cant tell correct?

And I will just do a search, but if you like you can respnd here if you wish.

Is it Wed. Yet??????????????

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:03 PM
In Timeout

Your engine should protect itself and retard timing when knock is detected.
It's that simple. Get the 93 Flash. It's not going to blow if you fill up with 91.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

I cant believe its not butter????????

I mean i cant believe more people dont have the same concerns about this? With the hundreds of ecu reflashes out there, dont you people wonder what might happen if you cant find 93 gas in the state your driving through? And more than likely most states dont have 93,,, or 92 for that matter.

I mean going from 92 to 91 isnt as bad as going from 93 to 91....

I have until Tuesday morning to decided on what to get. I would like the 92 ,,,,, and when I have to fill up on 91 when road tripping ,, just keep off the boost huh?

Thanks once again!............and latter
Old Dec 16, 2003, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Buuuuuump?
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

When Al tuned my car I was running Sunoco Ulta 94 and thats what I use almost all the time.

BUT he said he tuned it with conservative a/f, around 10.5, just in case I did run into a bad tank of gas. This gives me a good margin 'just in case'. Al usually doesn't do very drastic on the edge tunes. He know these are daily driven cars so he gets the MOST, SAFEST power he can without sacrificing the longevity of your car.

BTW I'm making 310whp after the flash and well over 300lbs of torque to the wheels. If thats conservative I wonder whats drastic

Last edited by Hooptie157; Dec 16, 2003 at 09:08 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:00 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Hooptie157
When Al tuned my car I was running Sunoco Ulta 94 and thats what I use almost all the time.

BUT he said he tuned it with conservative a/f, around 10.5, just in case I did run into a bad tank of gas. This gives me a good margin 'just in case'. Al usually doesn't do very drastic on the edge tunes. He know these are daily driven cars so he gets the MOST, SAFEST power he can without sacrificing the longevity of your car.

BTW I'm making 310whp after the flash and well over 300lbs of torque to the wheels. If thats conservative I wonder whats drastic
Exactly ! There is a huge margin of error built into the tunes

They will easily accomidate a 1 pt change in octane

BTW - I was just checking this at the local auto zone last night - NOS makes a RACE forumla and a STREET formula which raises octane only 3 pts and says is safe for your car

There are also several other brands that are safe to use

When I had a '92 M5 BMW with Dinan 50 whp reflash chip it was 94 octane use only

When I decided to drive it all the way from the east coast to Alcapoloco Mexico - 5500 miles one way - I knew I would have a problem with the mexican **** gas which was only 89 octane

Using 104 plus black bottle - one per tank I had no problems running that car even at very high sustained speeds of 172 mph through the desert in 95 degree temps

My point is tune your car for your local customary fuel - - - if you have to take a trip you can always work around the fuel probelms

And as stated above - you can always stay out of the boost and drive part gas if you ever are in a jam
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Im glad I called Allen 15 times about this, and decided to go with the 92 reflash!!!!!

Allen is a very patient guy, although he dosnt like to repeat himself more than once. I cant wait to test this out Wed. and see what all the hupla is over this Dynoflash.....

Looks like an early X-mas for me!!!!

And thanks for clearing up the traveling thing with possibly having to use a lower octane of gas..... again, and again! LOL.

Latter.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Fed Ex showed up this morning with my Dynoflash. Nice turn around time AL !

Thanks for your help on the phone, and Im glad I got the 92 reflash!

Ill post in the dynoflash thread with my thoughts. I only have about 20 miles on it so far and traffic is too heavy to get a feel for the car right now.

Allen has VERY GOOD service. Nice guy too!!!!!!!!