Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lean idle on coldstart

Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lean idle on coldstart

I just took my car out about a week ago for the season and for a few minutes on a cold start up my afrs jump from normal 14.7 to so lean it won't read on wideband. Then after the few minutes, once the idle settles afrs read normal between 14.7-15.2 till next cold start up.

Before I parked the car for winter on a cold start up, afrs would be normal, I know lean at idle isn't harmful just wanted to clear it up.

Only changes made while car was in storage were, I deleted the egr, replaced seals in throttle body and added a samco silicone intake pipe.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In for info. Deleted the EGR function in prep for removal and have run into the same issue. Happens 2-3 minutes after cold start, goes so lean the AFR tops out on the WB02 and it starts sputtering. After that, it runs perfrect.

Originally Posted by nytalonTSi
I just took my car out about a week ago for the season and for a few minutes on a cold start up my afrs jump from normal 14.7 to so lean it won't read on wideband. Then after the few minutes, once the idle settles afrs read normal between 14.7-15.2 till next cold start up.

Before I parked the car for winter on a cold start up, afrs would be normal, I know lean at idle isn't harmful just wanted to clear it up.

Only changes made while car was in storage were, I deleted the egr, replaced seals in throttle body and added a samco silicone intake pipe.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah for me it happens about a minute after a cold start then it'll dip into lean for a few minutes. My car doesn't sputter, I usually drive after the idle settles, but till then the idle kind of surges which is another reason why the afrs jump around.

So I believe it has to be cause of the egr delete since it was fine before. Have you removed the egr or just disable it? In the fall I had it disabled before removing it, didn't have a problem then.

When I first blocked it off, I had a boost leak at the egr. I was using a oem gasket and blockoff and no rtv. So I bought a felpro gasket, haven't done a blt though.

Last edited by nytalonTSi; Apr 4, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Bump!