Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Coolant leak ideas and advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant leak ideas and advice

Alright, here's my story. I have a coolant leak...somewhere.

Around a month or two ago I had a radiator that was leaking from the top tank. Replaced it with a Mishimoto radiator and Mishimoto upper and lower silicone radiator hoses. Also replaced my coolant overflow tank with a JMF one. Refilled and didn't have any issues.

However, a few weeks later while driving I noticed my temperature climbing dramatically. I get home and open the radiator and notice I lost A LOT of coolant. Like a gallon or more. Refilled and the problem disappeared for a month or so.

I had to replace my throttle body shaft seals recently (within the last month) -- so the throttle body came off the car. During reinstall, one of the hoses from the head/block was ripped.
As a result (and after some research on the forums) -- due to my climate -- I removed the two coolant hoses from the throttle body and capped the throttle body nipples with vacuum caps. I then took some hose and looped it from the block to the head to recirculate the coolant and remove the throttle body circulation from the system.

I have also (about a year ago) replaced the heater core hoses after doing some HVAC repair.

So I have checked most of the system and replaced many components on it.

My leak isn't constant. The weather doesn't seem to factor into it. I have been regularly checking the car (at least once a week) and there is no consistent evidence of leaking. When I do see water/coolant it usually falls near the back of the firewall around the front tires. And I can see residue on the downpipe.

I have consistently checked for leaks under the car as well as running my hand (as best I can) under the intake manifold and checking hoses.

Just yesterday I noticed a fair amount of water around my car when I came out to it and this morning the car was getting hot again. I had to add another gallon of coolant.

So...any ideas?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Any signs of the coolant mixing with oil? Sound like your loosing a lot of coolant and if you cant track it down it could be possible that your headgasket is leaking...
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am about to do an oil change soon but I haven't seen any white smoke or smelt anything. I plan to check the oil once I change it. (It will be the first time since the install of the new items)
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The next time this happens, check the overflow tank. If it is full then the head has lifted.