Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Low vacumn, rough idle on new built motor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low vacumn, rough idle on new built motor

Hey guys. Got another slightly interesting one here. Car was running fine, tune has spots in it, but the idle was good and had no issues. I was driving around, did a 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear pull, and when i stopped at the next light, the car fell through idle. I thought i blew a vac. line. I restarted the car, pulled off at the next light and found nothing loose or missing...I thought it was weird. I couldnt get the car to idle, and when it did, it was at like 600rpms, and would show 3-4hg vac. basically wanting to die. So i turned the idle up to 2k, and drove it 2 miles back to my shop. Still found nothing. After about 20 minutes, the car started idling, but still rough, and pulling low vacumn(5-6-7). I drove the car for the night, and it never fell through idle again, it got VERY rough and VERY close, but never died. Next day, i came outside, started the car, and it ran perfect. Idled great, pulled normal(13hg) vac. So i thought it was a fluke. I did a 3-4th gear pull, and thats bring me to right now. For the past 2 days, it barly wants to idle, will randomly fall threw idle, pulls 3-4hg of vac. when it does idle. But will sometimes randomly jump up, and idle at 1100(where i have it set), but still pull less vac. than it was before. Any ideas? I hear no air, i checked all hoses, all intercooler pipes are on.

My setup is as follows, if it makes any difference.

Built 2.4
Built head
Gsc s2
Speed density.

Any help would be great. The tune isnt anything great as i ran out of time on the dyno. I was thinking its the tune causing all these issues, but it doenst explain the low vacumn.

Thanks
Alex
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I ran into something similar....now my car still does it after a pull, it barely wants to idle. At one time the PCV hose came out, so I thought it was taken care off, but it did it again. Now, if I cycle the ignition switch OFF (instead of just restarting it), it will start to idle again. Which in my case it feels like its something electrical, either the MAP sensor or something else. BTW Im running a AEM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

I had a similar problem and it was the IACV on is way out.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

IACV is fine. Switch it with a known working one today, no change.

left out of a few parts, dunno if they make a difference. After the car is off idle(clutch out driving 1st gear) it runs normal, it cruises normal threw all gears.

Im running a magnus v5, with a boomba 75mm. I have the 4 sensors that are on the stock intake manifold off, and unplugged. I do have a check engine light for Cam sensor circuit, im not sure why. Its been there since i got tuned, and the car was running fine. it JUST started doing this.

The car still pulls fine. Ive gotten into to check boost, and it still pulls the same 25psi it was tuned on...so i can almost X out a vacumn leak.

Any other ideas?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

check TP SENSOR