Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Noise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SS2EVO
I need some input. I have a whine coming from the front of the car during acceleration, it gets slightly louder as I pick up speed. Then I have another whine when I get up to speed that comes from the rear.
Rear whine is rear diff.

Front whine if it's only in gears 1 and 2 is the tranny and it's normal. If it does it all the time and is lower pitched it's likely the t-case but could be a bearing on the output shaft. Never heard of those failing though, input shaft and throw-out bearings are the common failures.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine whines only when deaccelerating when there is force on the gear such as using the gear to slow down.. like in 4th gear doing approx 50 and slowing down it makes it and the more force the louder it gets.. im guessing this is the tranny but any other input on why it could be something else?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

I'm curious too. Mine whines when the clutch is engaged and I'm turning to the right. If I'm going straight or turning left no noise. Also it's not there all the time if I turn slowly it's not there say 10mph> fluids where changed about 10000 miles ago to amsoil fluids.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fenriq007
I'm curious too. Mine whines when the clutch is engaged and I'm turning to the right. If I'm going straight or turning left no noise. Also it's not there all the time if I turn slowly it's not there say 10mph> fluids where changed about 10000 miles ago to amsoil fluids.

lol not saying this is just you because ive done this before but theres a point where we all just start hearing crap.. could the turing to the right possibly be your tire rubbing? if you're going slow it shouldnt be as loud or not even there.. just a thought
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:06 PM

Alright fella's could you clear my problem then?
my 04 makes a whine ONLY WHEN ACCELERATING OR GIVING IT GAS It does not matter what gear i'm in it does is. BUT the noise COMPLETELY goes away if im not accelerating or giving it gas. any answers?

Last edited by repairmanevo8; Nov 30, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by repairmanevo8
Alright fella's could you clear my problem then?
my 04 makes a whine ONLY WHEN ACCELERATING OR GIVING IT GAS It does not matter what gear i'm in it does is. BUT the noise COMPLETELY goes away if im not accelerating or giving it gas. any answers?
Same here! Some days its louder than others. On days when i cant hear it, its super nice to ONLY hear the exhaust and i dunno if its just me but the drive just feels overall smoother when the whine isnt there and even the throttle response seems better (might just be in my head but I swear it does). Like repairmanevo8 said, the noise is only there under load and acceleration.

Now this noise has been present ever since i bought my evo about 3 months ago. I didnt notice it as much before because its my first evo and i just somehow thought the exhaust was really loud and resonating or something. The frequency/pitch of the whine goes up with speed and its definitely a whine, not a whistling noise. I'm thinking it could be a lubrication issue. Could not having enough fluid in the transfer case or just having fluid that needs replacement cause this???

I'm gonna change all my drivetrain fluids soon and hopefully it'll make the noise go away permanently. But of course there's that whole problem of underfilling the t-case if you do it according to the manual. So I might have AMS do my fluids since im sure they know what theyre doing and im afraid another mechanic would mess it up. Anyway, if anyone has fixed the noise by changing the fluids let us know, or any other input would be appreciated!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

I think i have death whine. Makes noise loudest at 60 mph in any gear and goes away the faster I go. Also hear it a little on deceleration. Fluids already changed on X-fercase
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

This is your transfer case. It will not wine when the car is in neutral and it won't wine on decel. When it gets really bad it will grind on decel. At first it might not do it all of the time but as time goes on the higher the rpm the louder the whine/grind will get. If your doing 60 and you put it into neutral, It'll go away but you might hear the bad bearings turning if its bad enough. I drove my 04 for around 30k miles with my tcase wining and it didn't fail me. And I wasn't exactly gentle on it either.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Thats good to know. I won't be rebuilding everything until next year feb.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:54 AM

well this brought some confusion to closure. I'm always skeptical driving my car because every small noise i hear, i think to be the tcase, and evo's are nowhere near the quietest cars.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

The rear end usually doesn't wine. I've only experienced slight grinding and mines had this grind for years never an issue
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by usnevo8
Mine whines only when deaccelerating when there is force on the gear such as using the gear to slow down.. like in 4th gear doing approx 50 and slowing down it makes it and the more force the louder it gets.. im guessing this is the tranny but any other input on why it could be something else?
I have the same thing, only on decel while in gear. No idea what it is.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Yes your rear end will grind on decel. Sounds like the plates chattering together
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Yes your rear end will grind on decel. Sounds like the plates chattering together
thats exactly what it sounds like but its coming from up under my shifter
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I've got a 2010 evo X, noise starts around 25 mph gets louder to an extent then is just present doesn't get louder necessarily with speed more as a relation to RPM's. I just bought the car at 11,000 miles on it, thought id get one before it saw to much abuse...:/ when i picked it up it had some noise, i assumed it was normal trany / diff / road noise that all evo's have... Two months later add some grinding to it and the noise has gotten louder... took it in with 13,000 miles on it last week. the dude at the dealership looks at me asks me what i think it is i tell him i think its the t-case, and he just treats me like some asshat who googled the car and came up with the most common issue or something, anyway, one rental experience later i appreciate the evo even more. i got a call saying the dealership thinks its the driveshaft and will be ordering one and put it on next week, if that doesn't work they'll replace the tranny...so far i think they're just avoiding putting a new t-case on because its evidently already had a new one put on (they checked the service records). I'm 99.9% sure its the transfer case (grinding noise right on top of me on decel gives it away) and they're just not wanting to listen to the customer or have to follow certain steps before they're allowed to replace it again. They said when they unbolted the drive shaft the noise stopped, well no duh, no load on it, morons...anyway i'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Noise