Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How common is the 03transfer case whine issue?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:36 PM

its ur throw out bearing if engage ur clucth pedal and the noise goes away its definitely ur throw out bearing. all evos transfer cases whines on low rpms u gotta worry about when it whines on high rpms..
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

All Evo transfer cases don't whine, if your Transfer is whining more than likely it is going out or low on fluid your transmission is the one that has a slight whine in lower gears 1st and 2nd mainly and is totally normal. I just got the whine again but this time it is not from my Transfer its my pressure plate that is loose. When I installed my clutch I did not have a torque wrench so just tightened till I thought was enough.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmy2
How common is the 03transfer case whine issue?
It is very common if you abuse the **** out of it, I.E. launching it all the time, using wrong fluid and obviously running it without fluid at all. MAP and Shep Transmission have pretty legit upgrade packages and rebuilds.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Out of curiosity, what are symptoms of bad wheel bearing? Does it makes similar whine noise?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

Wrong thread!!!

Never had it happen to me but I believe it clicks when driving or turning, put your car on jack stands and turn your wheels manually see if you can here clicking coming from the wheel bearing.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rear diff just got replaced and the noise is still there. So more than likely my transfer case is on its way out also? its a low whining noise and can hear a loud grinding noise every now and then.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by cmspaz
Rear whine is rear diff.

Front whine if it's only in gears 1 and 2 is the tranny and it's normal. If it does it all the time and is lower pitched it's likely the t-case but could be a bearing on the output shaft. Never heard of those failing though, input shaft and throw-out bearings are the common failures.
a lot of whine is coming from the rear. I just got someone to replace my rear diff and is it possible for the whine noise to go to the rear from transfer case, down to driveshaft to rear?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by KYjerry414
a lot of whine is coming from the rear. I just got someone to replace my rear diff and is it possible for the whine noise to go to the rear from transfer case, down to driveshaft to rear?
Yes,

It's very hard to tell which is what when the rear diff and transfer case break. I got off the dyno last year and immediately noticed a grinding noise coming from the back of the car. I was more than sure that it was the rear diff so I bought a used one on here(oil looked ok from the TC). After replacing it the noise was still there at which point I realized it was the dreaded transfer case. Here is the noise that I had when it was blown. Does yours sound like this?

Old Sep 15, 2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Yes,

It's very hard to tell which is what when the rear diff and transfer case break. I got off the dyno last year and immediately noticed a grinding noise coming from the back of the car. I was more than sure that it was the rear diff so I bought a used one on here(oil looked ok from the TC). After replacing it the noise was still there at which point I realized it was the dreaded transfer case. Here is the noise that I had when it was blown. Does yours sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vfKQh5GSvis
the noise is noticeable when driving at cruising speed and decel like yours. I was like you and thought it was my rear differential. mine had metal shavings in the fluid and low on oil due to a small leak.

Last edited by KYjerry414; Sep 15, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 01:09 PM

Mine RA do a clutch sound when desacel and boost in short time, but just when the car is hot.
Can it be T-case too?

If I drive jsut for some minutes, don't make any sound, but when it's hot (Driving in a highway or running), got this clutch sound depressing fast, like in manual car.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Sauer
Mine RA do a clutch sound when desacel and boost in short time, but just when the car is hot.
Can it be T-case too?

If I drive jsut for some minutes, don't make any sound, but when it's hot (Driving in a highway or running), got this clutch sound depressing fast, like in manual car.
The sound is the same when put in Reverse, same knocking sound