Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help Identifying Noise issue (Transfer Case or Driveshaft)

Old Mar 28, 2017, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Need Help Identifying Noise issue (Transfer Case or Driveshaft)

Ok please read entirely before immediately throwing out your responses:
I have a 03' Evo 8 GSR fully built, brand new trans, stock t-case w/ rs front diff.
My problem/issue is that when cruising I get this annoying metal scraping like noise coming from underneath the car by the E-brake area. As soon as I press on the throttle putting the car under load the noise goes away immediately but again once back to cruising the metal scraping noise comes back and its annoying. it doesnt do it every single time but most of the time if that make sense. Now I have no problem with anyone saying oh its your transfer case as that would be the last thing on my list to actually build, but I am not receiving any death whine, and as speed increase there is no intensifying loudness (whine-howl) since 1. there is no whine present at all and 2. again when pressing on the throttle (under load) the noise goes away instantly. Has anyone had this issue and what was the fix? I want to say its my driveshaft but the play in the driveshaft is actually minimum. But maybe there is something internally going bad etc. I just dont want to build my transfer case and the problem still persists when I couldve bought an aftermarket driveshaft w/ respect to pricing. I also have a twin disc clutch (Power Train technology.. Same developer of the QM clutch).
I will provide a video of the metal scraping noise Im receiving from a video whose trasnfer case is in fact dying but listen carefully to the metal scraping noise, every trasnfer case failing symptom the whine is present and intensifies by speed. I am in no way getting any type of whine which draws the confusion, could I be that unlucky with no whine or is the metal scraping noise most likely coming from the driveshaft as i assumed. all fluids are full, OEM fluids in the transfer case etc. and no plates loose or rubbing against anything... really hoping someone can chime in who had the similar experience and resulted in the problem before I waste money on the wrong thing.

Here is the link to the metal scraping noise that best fits my problem:
Old Mar 30, 2017, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
does it happen when you let off the gas or let it wind down in gear?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nor11384
does it happen when you let off the gas or let it wind down in gear?
The noise I just described does not occur during decel, I have a twin disc clutch so I do receive decel noise and its not that (two different sounds if that makes sense)... but this metal scraping noise seems to come on only during cruising under no load. If you watch the link I posted it make that similar scraping noise goes away under load.. but again no transfer case whine noise at all. Im wondering if it could be the pinion gear bolt that is maybe loose and needs preload adjustment.. or is it the driveshaft carrier bearings going to sh***t
Old Mar 30, 2017, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Drive shaft rubbing exhaust?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Drive shaft rubbing exhaust?
I wish it was that easy man... think my best approach is to buy or borrow a Go-Pro and see if I can capture the area more closely..
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
It could be that easy. The exhaust rubbing is not an unusual problem. Get the exhaust hot and drive in rain and the exhaust will warp - may move an inch or more when you think there is plenty of clearance. Anyway, easy to check, just look for marks. If dry road when the problem occurred then something else.

Another thing that can make that noise is brakes.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Could be one of the carrier bearings... Those bastards can sound pretty ugly when they go.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider your front wheel bearing unit on passenger side, I had to change mine a few years ago, that sound is very simular plus when I was on the freeway going 60-70 sound would go away.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by billyarbco
Consider your front wheel bearing unit on passenger side, I had to change mine a few years ago, that sound is very simular plus when I was on the freeway going 60-70 sound would go away.
I did that little push/pull test on the front wheels and nothing so I doubt its that.. unless that way of testing is not sufficient enough... But only when cruising (holding the throttle steady) is when this happens but when pressing on the throttle putting the car under load it goes away immediately.. and the noise doesnt occur decelerating either.. So so far im stuck until I figure it out. there were a couple threads with the identical problem but its far old and closed and unresolved lol
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:31 AM

Found this thread while researching the exact same problem . Same noise . Was wondering if you ever figured out what the issue was?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 02:33 AM

Hi guys,
I have the same noise/problem: did you figured out what was?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I got the same issue. I wish he had post the result
Old Oct 4, 2018, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
you sure its not just the clutch rattle?
my qm is really loud when you are doing say 50 and you are on and off the throttle (cruising).
soon as you let off the throttle a little it is a rattle can sound.

its the flywheel harmonics..
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

I solved rebuilding my t case (pinion and crown) and my mechanic also modified exhaust pipe in the section near rear torsion bar because for him the rattling sound came from that place.
now is perfect