Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Symptoms of transfer case going out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Symptoms of transfer case going out

Hi,

I know that this topic has been discussed to death, apologies about that. But I have been searching for answers on transfer case whine symptoms and have been getting conflicting info

So basically my 2008 evo X gsr makes a noticeable, but not loud, whining sound from the front portion of the car only during light acceleration from 3rd to 5th gear. The moment I put it to neutral and cruise at any speed, there is no whine. I can only hear it with the radio off. people are saying that if it is the transfer case, it will whine even in neutral and coasting. Is that true?

I got this car about 2 mths ago and it has been making this sound since. Is this something that is normal for these cars? I also checked the underside and there is no leak.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 09:09 AM

Interesting, I have similar symptoms. I get the whine only while driving and not while in neutral. Looking for answers as well. I drive an 08 X MR with 34k miles
Old Oct 2, 2016, 09:37 PM

For all you know it might be normal behavior for this car to have a slight whine on acceleration and we are just being paranoid.

It will be great if someone who has experience in this area can chime in.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
A bad tcase is loud. A very slight whine could be considered normal for your car. The gear setup patterns from Mitsubishi are all over the place, some cars make more noises than other cars. If you're worried, take it to an evo shop and have the fluid changed and ask what they think of how the old fluid looks.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 09:48 PM

yeah I will be getting my tcase fluids replaced within these 2 weeks. My mechanic suggested to use a thicker oil from Motul which he said his track Evos use. He commented that the other Evo X he test droved also made the same whine sound, although it was slightly softer than mine.

For the magnetic drain plug, how much metal is acceptable? None or some fine shavings is ok?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It depends when the last time the fluid was changed, or if it was ever changed. For a street car, mitsu diaqueen lsd90 is one of the best oils to use. Motul Gear Competition 75w140 is also good, part # 101161 per TRE.

http://teamrip.com/transfer_case_hyp...tion_info.html
Old Oct 4, 2016, 06:23 PM

I bought this car from a friend of mine, it is well taken care of by him for the past 7 years.

The Tcase fluid was just changed 2 months ago. Just that my mechanic suggested to change to a thicker oil to further reduce wear to the Tcase since the car is already 8 years old and it is inevitable that some parts are worn.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 05:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drop the oil and look for any signs of metal in the oil. You can also check for backlash on the propshaft. There shouldn't be anymore than 5mm rotation on the prop. If there is there's excessive backlash between the crown wheel and pinion. You can then jack the front of the car up and rotate the wheel back and forth to feel for play on the centre diff, there shouldn't be excessive play between the wheels. It should feel taught and well connected and if it don't there's an issue with the centre diff. If it's bearing issues you'll find a trail of metal filing in the oil. Hope this helps.....
Old Oct 8, 2016, 04:31 AM

just to give you guys an update, I changed my Tcase and gearbox oil today.

Checked the magnetic plugs for the Tcase and gearbox, both have very little to no signs of metal, perfectly normal. so I think it is safe to say that a slight whine on throttle is normal.

Anyhow, I changed to thicker oils for both the Tcase and Gearbox. Before that I was on Diaqueen for Tcase.
Tcase: Motul gear competition 75W140
Gearbox: Cusco 80W90

Last edited by pawpaw; Oct 8, 2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long shot but have u checked ur wheel bearings and propshaft bearings incase any of them are on the road out?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 03:17 AM

unlikely it is my wheel bearings or propshaft.
like I mentioned earlier, it does not make any noise cruising in neutral.