Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
heres a hallman pro rx with ceramic ball and stiffer spring (not the newest stiff spring)

on my car with the br 2.3 and stage 3 head and fp black .. exhaust manifold is ported so is the turbo.

temps were 75f, wastegate is a 25psi actuator preloaded to hold 29-30psi.

i have noticed the hallman control is very sensitive to turns of the knob.. if not turned just right it bleeds off excessively.
What gear was this in?
Old May 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
What gear was this in?
3rd gear. thats a buschur 2.3 & stage 3 head + fp black.. thats what you should expect when you have the turbo ported, exhaust manifold ported, and running on e85.. has amazing response on spool when tuned just right for afr & timing at spool.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by project_skyline
The hallman is the ceramic ball with light spring according to my friend who provided it.
well it didnt do to damn bad for a light spring then in this test.. id say with stiff spring it will beat the forge pretty easy.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nightwalker
Perrin was first. There's an old thread on here with all the drama that usually follows when a competitors copies the others product. It may have been deleted though.

I personally like the Perrin in-line. I had a Hallman for a long time after chucking away my electronic 3 port back in 2004. The Hallman has been nothing but reliable. But like previously mentioned, you had to make sure you had it twisted just perfect or it would bleed excess boost. I don't know how else to explain it than you give it a quarter twist, it would spike 24 psi but only hold 19 up top, twist it up a 1/4, come back an 1/8 and it would now hold 21 psi up top. Very frustrating.

The Perrin in-line is straight, set it and it is consistent. No more twist turn, test, twist turn, test, and repeat.

I was hoping the GrimmSpeed would beat the Perrin/Buschur. Guess I'll stick with what I have.
yep.. im not sure why the hallman does that, but for example you can have it set and you will drop off boost so much that its a 50whp loss.. then if you turn the knob a half turn you get the 50whp back without changing the boost target #.. its really weird.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well it didnt do to damn bad for a light spring then in this test.. id say with stiff spring it will beat the forge pretty easy.
Exactly...I've been running my Hallman with the steel ball & stiff spring for 2 yrs or so...Even with my stock turbo I never thought about running the soft spring and ceramic ball...
Old May 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Exactly...I've been running my Hallman with the steel ball & stiff spring for 2 yrs or so...Even with my stock turbo I never thought about running the soft spring and ceramic ball...
Well you guys can do your own testing, to see if it will beat the FORGE. IMO, you can't say "with stiff spring it will beat the forge pretty easy." without actually testing it.

Back in 06-07, I did testing of the FORGE w/ light spring and Hallman (dont know what spring) and the FORGE beat it that time too. This is why I started using FORGE MBC's in the beginning and continue to do so.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

let me use a better use of words.. it should be much closer with the stiffer spring. almost neck to neck.. i never heard anything bad about the forge mbc myself.. and i use their bov and it is built with quality as well.. so to see the forge mbc win isnt a surprise to me.

Last edited by tscompusa2; May 15, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done cars on the dyno with a Hallman. Owner never touches anything. Its back on the dyno at a later date. And its down on boost. I then turn it back up to equal what it was at a previous date. Not all Hallmans but had this happen quite a few times. I think either the springs lose tension over time. Perhaps using the stiffer spring in the Hallman would alleviate this issue. Really like the Forge. Use them on all my own vehicles. Light spring tends to top out at 24-25 psi depending on the car. Yet to use the stiff spring sometimes the lowest boost possible is 24 psi or more. Have often cut a half to a full coil off the Forge stiff spring, stretched it a bit and then was able to go as low as 20 but as high as 34-35 psi. Perhaps all these ball and spring controllers suffer from a sort of coil bind or varying ratios.
Perrin inline worked ok. Didn't see it spool as fast as the Hallman or Forge though.
Do have a Buschur inline on my Syclone. Works great. Been on 19 psi for the last year and never need to touch it.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpr
GRIMMSPEED

I have your mbc, I like it. Can you tell us where its made? I could find nothing that said it on any of your paper work.
Thanks
Hey kpr, obviously can't give supplier names as that is proprietary. I can tell you that it is machined/anodized/laser etched within 30 minutes of our front door here in Minneapolis MN

We are very big on supporting local businesses, and I dont mean in the US, i mean right in our state of Minnesota. We are lucky to have some really amazing businesses to work with here.

Justin Grimm
Old May 16, 2011, 09:45 AM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Justin.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Well you guys can do your own testing, to see if it will beat the FORGE. IMO, you can't say "with stiff spring it will beat the forge pretty easy." without actually testing it.

Back in 06-07, I did testing of the FORGE w/ light spring and Hallman (dont know what spring) and the FORGE beat it that time too. This is why I started using FORGE MBC's in the beginning and continue to do so.
Not knocking your test at all, obviously members appreciate you doing it. I am very confident that the results would be different with the Hallman using the stiff spring and steel ball. As I posted before the Hallman held boost up too much better then my Forge but I didn't log to see how quickly it hit 20 psi though. Maybe just edit your OP/2nd post and say that the Hallman was using the soft spring and ceramic ball, just so other members know. Thanks again for doing the test!
Old May 16, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not knocking your test at all, obviously members appreciate you doing it. I am very confident that the results would be different with the Hallman using the stiff spring and steel ball. As I posted before the Hallman held boost up too much better then my Forge but I didn't log to see how quickly it hit 20 psi though. Maybe just edit your OP/2nd post and say that the Hallman was using the soft spring and ceramic ball, just so other members know. Thanks again for doing the test!
According to hallman the ball doesn't affect how it holds just how fast it reacts.

The spring only affects range of boost adjustment. If both these are true then your statements have no regard on taper performance.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
According to hallman the ball doesn't affect how it holds just how fast it reacts.

The spring only affects range of boost adjustment. If both these are true then your statements have no regard on taper performance.
Well, I guess I just had a sh*t Forge MBC then. I know the ball only affects how it reacts. But I guess unless you send Boosted a steel ball & stiff spring to test we will never actually know if it holds boost better or not...All I know is it did for me.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
When you changed to a Hallman and it held more boost then the FORGE, what spring did you have in the FORGE? I would bet the soft one.

Ill add what springs where in what MBC,
Old May 16, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
When you changed to a Hallman and it held more boost then the FORGE, what spring did you have in the FORGE? I would bet the soft one.

Ill add what springs where in what MBC,
Sounds good! You are probably correct with the soft spring in the Forge. I bought it from Dynoflush 5 yrs ago during one of his tuning trip as the Forge MBC did perform better then the crappy TurboXs MBC I had on the car. At the time I swapped from the Forge to Hallman I was running 25psi on stock turbo. You are running 27psi on the FP Black correct? I can't remember if you said you were using the soft or stiff spring in the Forge?

Thanks for doing the test Boosted...Anymore tests planned??

Quick Reply: MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning