Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Carbonetic Multi plate rebuild

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbonetic Multi plate rebuild

This write up follows the photos of the clutch inspection pictured on a different forum as seen here.
http://evoempire.org/topic/11033-fft...ost__p__191786

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes posting a link to a different forum.

Read and enjoy!

I purchased my 2003 Evo 8 in November of 2009 used with some aftermarket upgrades. The car had 54,000 miles at the time and of the parts installed, a Carbonetic twin plate clutch was also included. The clutch had been in the car for around 15,000 miles at the time. I was fairly skeptical about the clutch as most of my experience at that time was with Exedy twins, HKS GD max, ACT, as well as a few others. My initial impressions of the clutch were that it’s extremely smooth and predictable. When I say smooth, I mean smooth as silk, smoother than a fresh shave. Driving in traffic is no more difficult than with the ACT HDSS full face clutch kit, and during spirited driving, or launching the car it holds like a pissed off gorilla. I’ve driven the car on countless occasions to my favorite backroads and the clutch has help up solidly for the time I’ve owned the car. Let’s fast forward to a month ago.
I have recently started to have some issues with the clutch, so like most Evo owners, I trolled the forums for answers. Surprisingly, there was very little information on the web about this clutch that differ from my own initial impressions, and rebuilding this clutch seemed to be a bit of smoke and mirrors. I began to fear for the worst, as I didn’t see any other alternative. I felt that the entire clutch would need to be rebuild as that is standard procedure for multi-plate clutches. Many forums only spoke of the cost of the carbon plates and intermediate plates which comparatively cost much more than other twin plate clutches that are available. It seemed that this information has swayed many people into purchasing an Exedy clutch, or something offered by a different manufacturer as those parts are more readily available.
We finally had enough free time to remove the clutch and transmission and I had some very interesting things for me in store. As we took off the clutch cover, and pressure plate, we found not one, not two, but three carbon plates hiding inside! Talk about a freebie. I had never driven a triple plate clutch that drove this nice before. I was extremely surprised, and now, even more in awe of how great this clutch really is. Ok, so on to the scary bits. The black magic, smoke and mirrors, the magicians secret will finally be revealed. The rebuild…Carbonetic provides a DIY inspection form for their clutches so you know what parts to replace, and which parts can be re-used. Pretty handy actually. You can also opt for their inspection and rebuild service for a small fee. We started with the obvious, the clutch release bearing sleeve was broken, and this really gummed up the release bearing, so those need to go in the trash and new parts are going to be sent over from Carbonetic. The pressure plate also showed some wear, and would need to be replaced. The clutch discs themselves should be measured for wear and runout. Brand new the clutch discs are 3.9mm thick, and the minimum re-usable clearance is 2.5mm. I figured as long as they were re-usable, I’d be happy as I was again expecting the worst. Each disc measured out to 3.8mm. 3.8!!! Really!? I grabbed another set of calipers just to be safe, and the measurements were correct. Again, enter shock and awe. I’ve pretty much beaten up the car since I purchased it and the clutch discs have barely worn. This is the opposite of what I’ve seen on every clutch we’ve rebuilt or pulled out of a car over the last few years, and I am pretty impressed. All in all the only parts I’m replacing are the relase bearing, clutch cover bolts, pressure plate, and adding a shim kit. I believe that this in itself should justify the cost difference of this clutch vs. others that are out there, and I hope this clears up the confusion on these clutches.

Cliff’s notes

Carbonetic clutch in car
Clutch needs some love
Pull clutch apart
Find bonus clutch disc
Clutch discs are good, replace other small parts
Re install clutch
Go enjoy car again

Last edited by MikeB@FFTEC; May 30, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Finally got the parts installed on the car, and it's working better than when I purchased the car two years ago. I'm really happy with how this rebuild went. Kiyo at Carbonetic/ATS Across was super helpful along the way. I truly appreciate getting great service, and a great product.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is good to hear!!
I just installed a twin disc Carbonetic clutch in my car about 3 weeks ago. I was worried about the rebuild cost but looks like i dont have much to worry about.

Thanks for the write up man
Old Jun 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor

No problem. I'm glad it helped. PM if you have questions or anything.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have ATS twin in my EVO 1. I agree with above statements. fantastic clutch. drives smooth as silk. grabs hard but doesnt shock drivetrain. I know the plates are long wearing. Its been in car for about a year and I have never had to adjust pedal.

My only complaint is they dont make flywheel heavy enough. all harmonics get right through rattle the clutch hub pretty bad. I am sure the input splines on tranny will need replaced before the clutch wears out.

they have a new twin in development. It reuses factory style pull pressure plate. The flywheel is over 12 pounds so it shouldnt have the above stated issues. plus you can easily change PP to stiffer when you need more holding power.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have ATS twin in my EVO 1. I agree with above statements. fantastic clutch. drives smooth as silk. grabs hard but doesnt shock drivetrain. I know the plates are long wearing. Its been in car for about a year and I have never had to adjust pedal.

My only complaint is they dont make flywheel heavy enough. all harmonics get right through rattle the clutch hub pretty bad. I am sure the input splines on tranny will need replaced before the clutch wears out.

they have a new twin in development. It reuses factory style pull pressure plate. The flywheel is over 12 pounds so it shouldnt have the above stated issues. plus you can easily change PP to stiffer when you need more holding power.
Yeah, I heard about that newer clutch. They will also be releasing their new single plate clutches as well.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are some photos of the rebuild kit.

Name:  IMG_2405-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  3.74 MB

Old VS. New pressure plate. As you can see, the blue one is broken.

Name:  IMG_2409.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  3.12 MB
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:40 PM

Where you buy rebuild kit?
I need new center metal plate
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I will be inspecting my triple when the tranny gets dropped this week.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wirx
Where you buy rebuild kit?
I need new center metal plate
Sent you a PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I will be inspecting my triple when the tranny gets dropped this week.
Cool. Let me know what you find out. Shoot me a PM.
The following users liked this post:
moyassine (Jul 23, 2017)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

i talked to the ppl at ats across and told them i needed a new release bearing and the "slider" it rides on/ what the clutch fork pushes against.. its in about pic next to the bearing, all they sent me was the bearing and acted like they had no clue what i was talking about and didnt speak any English if any! so i had to put the used one back in. were not very healpfull to me but sounds like u had a great experience with them! it is a great clutch i have a twin carbon and love it.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What are the power mods on this Evo? How much torque does the engine produce? No launches and only street driving? What I am wonddering is how much power can this clutch hold.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

MikeB do you have a good connect to get parts if I need them?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sparky
What are the power mods on this Evo? How much torque does the engine produce? No launches and only street driving? What I am wonddering is how much power can this clutch hold.
My car currently makes around 330 WHP on a mustang dyno on 91 octane. I've got some more upgrades waiting for installation and tuning that should be good for around 400WHP on E85. Ultimately I'm shooting for around 450 WHP (or until that's too slow.) Typically I spend most of my driving time in the backroads. Most of my favorite roads are 1st to 3rd gear low speed and sweepers. I do a lot of heel-toeing, rev matching and occasionally stay in the friction zone and use the clutch as a brake. I have launched the car a few times, but not a whole lot as I don't really enjoy drag racing. I'll leave that stuff to Pat.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
MikeB do you have a good connect to get parts if I need them?
I do. PM me for info
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Mike glad you cross-posted this over here

Did you ever get the weight posted up to compare to the others we've had come through the shop?

You know you wana launch your Evo drag style........... everyone does they just dont' wana pick up the pieces lol!

See you at the shop in an about an hour....

Quick Reply: Carbonetic Multi plate rebuild