Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

doing a evo 9 turbo HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doing a evo 9 turbo HELP

i have a 03 evo 8, this weekend i will be doing a ported evo 9 turbo with 9 mani with megan o2 housing. i just ordered the fp install kit http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...cc-InstallKits
my question is it doesnt come with the oil lines do i need them? i heard you can bend them but i dont want them to leak but i dont mind saving some money if they will fit properly. also do i need new oil line gaskets or can i reuse them
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want to do the job right then order the oil lines they are pretty cheap, if u want to save money then a little bent would not hurt, a lot of people have done it before.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

I bent my oil line and it worked just fine. However, I would buy new crush washers for the lines. A couple of bucks wouldn't hurt rather than finding you have a leak later on.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

they install kit comes with new crush washers..i was just reffering to the lines have you had any leaks?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm also going to be doing a 9 turbo on an 8 soon and I'm planning on just replacing all of the gaskets and washers. It's only a couple extra dollars and it sure beats finding out you have a leak after you get everything installed.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

I know you would like to save money but you can get the oil feed line for only $10-11 on mitsubishiparts.net plus shipping.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MaLo EvoVIII
I know you would like to save money but you can get the oil feed line for only $10-11 on mitsubishiparts.net plus shipping.

do i need just the feed or the return too?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The VIII oil drain tube works fine on the IX turbo. The drain tube is a b**tch to hook up however, once the turbo is on the car(i.e., the drain pipe flange that mates up to the turbo's center section). I think that the easier way to do it is to it is to bolt the drain pipe flange up to the center section on your bench, BEFORE installing the new turbo.

Last edited by sparky; Jul 10, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
The VIII oil drain tube works fine on the IX turbo. The drain tube is a b**tch to hook up however, once the turbo is on the car(i.e., the drain pipe flange that mates up to the turbo's center section). I think that the easier way to do it is to it is to bolt the drain pipe flange up to the center section on your bench, BEFORE installing the new turbo.

thanks for the help quickk noob question the drain tube is the return line correct? so just get a new oil feed line from a 9 plus the fp kit i ordered and i should be ok correct? since you said the drain tube works fine
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i honestly wouldn't use the 8 drain tube on a 9 turbo.. you really have to put force on it to make it line up after its connected to the turbo. i used to use the 8 drain tube on the fp red and black because people told me they were the same thing.. but clearly they aren't. the 9 drain tube fits perfect and easy, where as the 8 you have to use brute force to line it up properly.

as far as bending the feed line.. if its not kinking then its fine.. bend away.

before attaching the oil drain u could try bending the flex area that connects to the oil pan in wards as much as you can before installing it, maybe if you work it a bit it will not be as hard to line up.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
i honestly wouldn't use the 8 drain tube on a 9 turbo.. you really have to put force on it to make it line up after its connected to the turbo. i used to use the 8 drain tube on the fp red and black because people told me they were the same thing.. but clearly they aren't. the 9 drain tube fits perfect and easy, where as the 8 you have to use brute force to line it up properly.

as far as bending the feed line.. if its not kinking then its fine.. bend away.

before attaching the oil drain u could try bending the flex area that connects to the oil pan in wards as much as you can before installing it, maybe if you work it a bit it will not be as hard to line up.

Thanks for the reply does anyone else use the 8 oil lines on a 9 turbo?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

You can get the oil drain line from VR Speed Factory for about $25 plus shipping. I bought mine from them before installing the 9 turbo on my evo8. It fit perfectly and its an original mitsu part.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

I reused my oil return 8 line for my 9 turbo upgrade, its not that bad. It doesnt go on extremely easy but mine didnt seem like it was binding. about 1500 miles now and no leaks...