Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GTX3071R and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another update.

Dropped the car/parts off at AMS on Monday(8/28). Talked to them yesterday and the Exedy Twin was toast so that was rebuilt and the ShepTrans and Exedy Twin are back in. They were installing the cams/springs/retainers when he emailed me. I assume they got that done and maybe more. I should have another update today on their progress. But until the numbers are here, the thing that we all want to really know about, heres a pic of the bigger compressor housing. I'm glad it got back in time.

Name:  GTX3071R5.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  77.2 KB
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Nice setup. Subscribed also.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:27 PM

Another update. Car is done and will be picked up Monday(9/12). Due to running pump gas I was limited to running only 22PSI. Any more boost or timing and it would knock all over the place. They added a "splash" of 100 octane and it instantly added an extra 20WHP so basically the lower octane is keeping me from being able to run higher boost where it's efficiency and true potential are at. Thinking of switching to E85 and adding a few more bolt-ons but that will be some other time and still not 100% sure if I want to do that yet or not. I will post the numbers and dyno sheet as soon as I get back in town. Your probably guessed that I didn't hit my goal but seeing as it's also on a Mustang Dyno I guess it's not all that bad and the fact that I'm only running 22PSI at that it's pretty good I think. Darn you stupid pump gas!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that still on stock injectors though? I know you didnt have any injectors, just didnt know if you bought some or not.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:12 PM

Running some 1000's so I'm covered on pump gas. I do think it's kind of odd but then alot of the numbers I have been comparing to were all people running on dynojets so thats why there numbers seem high in comparison to mine. Dissapointed but then again hopefully it will "FEEL" better than it looks.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:24 PM

Ok so here it goes guys. First off I would just like to say please don't judge this turbo from my dyno as I don't think I've done it ANY justice and am very bummed by the results. It feels like it has so much more. I would also like to say some of it is probobally my fault as I have access to 93 and I think I had put 91 in it before I took it to AMS for all the work. So it was limited to only 22PSI or it would start knocking. I am so pissed. Also on the stock turbo withought most of the mods I put down 325/325 on the same dyno(unless they have a new/different one).

Mods - ShepTrans Rebuild, Exedy Twin, AMS Shifter Bushings, ID 1000's, ARP Headstuds, Grimmspeed BCS, Megan O2 Housing, Buschur Ported IM, Buschur 65mm TB, GSC S2 Cams/Springs/Retainers, ATP GTX3071R at 22PSI, 3in. Exhaust/Downpipe/Test Pipe, ??? Intercooler/Piping(Not Factory), Evo 9 BOV, SparkTech COP Ignition System, Walbro 255.

I think that's it.

Name:  DynoGTX3071RPumpGas.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  52.9 KB

So basically adding the Turbo, IM, TB, O2 Housing, Cams, SparkTech Ignition, and Injectors I gained 0TQ and about 50HP. WTF? I was running 27PSI with the stock 8 turbo but still just to me it seems like alot of money for not much more performance. I do love the feel of the new trans though and the loping idle but performance wise just seems not a good bang for your buck IMO. Please give me some feedback because I would really like to stay on pump gas and do a little bit more to see if I can get some more out of it and this time make sure it has 93 in it when I take it to get retuned. Was thinking of a OEM ported exhaust manifold or just an aftermarket one for the stock frame turbos and then also a better intercooler. Please any advice is appreciated. Very please by AMS's work, just kind of bummed about the numbers. Once I break it in I'll give some more feedback on the response and overall feel as I am letting the trans break in before I really give it the beans.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
It looks like it was definitely knocking up top with the waviness of the torque and hp lines. Well, if you put in 91 oct, then I'd say it did pretty damn well for 91 oct. and 22psi. Also, you made the same torque at 5psi less boost which means everything is flowing much better and more efficient. If you put in 93 oct, I think it's reasonable that you'd gain 50whp.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Can't say I'm surprised. I used to run an OG 3071 mated to the AMS exhaust mani, and the performance was underwhelming at best ... add to that surge in 5th gear and it had fail written all over it. I'm not sure why anyone these days would go with something other than an FP or BBK turbo unless you have some very specific targets that you're trying to hit.

l8r)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
So you have an unknown non-stock IC? Even if u had 91 in the tank you should be able to reach more than 22psi w/o knock. I would say the unknown IC may not be cooling well, but then again u were able to run 27psi on the stock turbo with this same IC. Spool up looks on point, but it just takes a crap up top. Maybe it really was bad gas. I wouldn't feel too discouraged...as its been said, 22psi is well out of this turbo's efficiency range. I'd rule out the IC by getting something more trusted and stay away from 91oct. Just curious...what spark plugs/gap are u using?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:25 PM

Plugs are NGK non-iridium and I think I had them gapped around .18-.22 I remember it was on the tighter side since I was trying to figure out a misfire issue at the time. Also looking to get a Buschur IC and a MAP ported exhaust manifold then get it retuned. Hopefully since I make it a point to ONLY put 93 in it now it will help out. Looking at the Buschur IC because I've seen good reviews. Any others a little cheaper that a proven good?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Just get my Turboxs one man. lol Its 15min away. You know it works well. It worked well with my setup on the hta green.

Last edited by tsidrift1; Sep 13, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:53 AM

I am leaning towards that. You going to help me install it since I'm SOL on a place to install it?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, you can pull it in my garage.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

If your staying on pump gas you should look into a Aquamist kit, they work very well and ive never had a prob with it.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:13 PM

The gtx3071s map looks nearly identical to the old 3076 with a bit better efficiency.
I'd expect 3076 power with improved transient response response from the smaller wheel but nothing more than that. You're not far off in my opinion with 22 psi and 91 octane.

It could be the housing holding it back. It'd be better if you asked for a log as it's hard to define cause without more data.

If you can find a 3076 dyno pull from that same dyno, I think it's logical to expect a similar peak power. If it's top end I'd suspect egbp, but your boost is low so that's strange. Try porting your manifold since that can be cheap depending if you have a die grinder or even smoothening out the ATP casting at the inlet on the exhaust side

Last edited by reid-o; Sep 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: GTX3071R and Questions