Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Remove/replace front O2 sensor - Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Remove/replace front O2 sensor - Tips?

Yes, i know the general plan of attack. I have a 7/8" o2 socket (22ish mm), which i blelieve is correct, and plenty of pb blaster, as well as a breaker bar.

now heres the parts i haven't been able to clarify:

-Does the lower heat shield need to come off?

-can the lower heatshield actually be removed with the radiator in place or not (ive seen both answers)?

-Can it be done from the top, or must you get under the car? (it seems there is very little space from the top...)

basically im trying to do this in my parking lot, and the smoother it goes the better...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, it was a *itch to take out. I had to remove the raditor, torch that motha **er for a good minute then it would break loose.

You could try not removing anything, but you will definetely need a swivel wrench.

The easiest way is to remove the radiator and from memory the head shield also.

Good luck
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heatshield does not "need" to be removed, there's a hole it will slide out of. (easier with it out tho)

I think it can be bent/mangled to make it out but doesn't the wastegate arm come through it also? (I haven't had a stock turbo set-up in a while so I forgot)

Yes it can be done from the top.

Pull the mani heatshield to give yourself more socket room. When hot soak it with pb blaster, let it get warm, not totally cold, put the socket on there and break it loose. Sometimes there isn't room to get a socket plus wrench on the end so most have a 6 sided end to put a long handle open ended wrench around (22mm end also I believe).
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just pull the radiator...it takes only 5-10 min to drain and remove. I actually ruined my oem radiator by trying to remove the o2 sensor with it in place.

Are you removing the stock o2 housing? Or just replacing the 02 sensor? If you are swapping out the housing, it might be easier to just leave the sensor attached to the housing, disconnect the harness from the valve cover and tackle the sensor once the housing is off the car, where you will have free range of motion.

My original sensor would not come free (aroud 30k miles on the car at the time) so I just pulled the housing with the sensor attached. Then I bolted the housing to a piece of 1/2" scrap wood and showed it who was boss.

The overall message is to be safe and remove the rad...it will make the job much easier and will save you from potentially damaging the radiator
Old Aug 9, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Only doing sensor, not full housing. Sensor in there is outputting less than .5 volts and causing headaches trying to tune.

Radiator coming out is not an option with my current situation. I had been planning to stack cardboard against it and give it a shot, but its seemling like it may be futile to even try.

Ill either have to wait till i can go to my parents house with my full garage...or be super lame and pay a shop i guess.

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Aug 9, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I also pulled the radiator and used a propane torch to heat it up but it was no problem with the heat shield in place. If you're not going to pull the radiator then the best shot might be to drive the car around and get the exhaust nice and hot. Just don't burn yourself on the exhaust.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of pb blaster and keep heating it and cooling it with pb blaster and then take a torch and heat around the sensor but not the sensor or the threads themselves then try. Its a whole lot easier to do with the o2 housing out of the car and how I done mine. When you reinstall the new one make sure to use a little more antiseize than what comes on the threads to avoid this again.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need an actual 02 socket..if you use a regular one..its not coming out.

N
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by novem
You need an actual 02 socket..if you use a regular one..its not coming out.

N
read the first line i wrote.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

bump this up.. how did it turn out? I just ordered a denso replacement for my front as well.. Going to tackle this soon.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

looked at it for two seconds and realised it was better to order a new o2 and do it all at once.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Ahh you were on stock 02housing. I have one already.. so I'm just goin to try and hit it.. I guess.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

i got the heat shield out with it still in, but i had to cut it off cause a bolt rounded off on it. try and break it loose with the car is hot. worked for me.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marcusE
Ahh you were on stock 02housing. I have one already.. so I'm just goin to try and hit it.. I guess.
yeah. waiting on my megan to come back from swaintech, and then it will go on.

i set a new record with 12mpg all city driving last week! lol.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

im just waiting for fedex.. for the dang sensor. I know its goin to be a pain though.

Quick Reply: Remove/replace front O2 sensor - Tips?