Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best cams for low end power?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dastallion951
you want quick spool and low end torque, look into the s1's or hks 264/272 cam setup, and compliment it with an fp white. There ya go, torque is nice, but i love havin my shoulder thrown in the back rest while flyin up the rpms... i love hp more then tq haha
I thought tq was what threw you back into your seat?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You could try something like the new HKS 7460R, which as you know is a B.B. turbo and thus is a relatively fast spooler with longevity thrown in. Then pair it with the new GSC S1 cams which feature a high lift, short duration grind. This is gonna spool real quick even on a 2.0L engine. The 7460 has pretty decent topend as well. You could then throw on a set of adjustable cam sprockets for good measure so as to be able to advance the S1 cams to maximize turbo spoolup.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 12, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Taylor gang, I'll be in sacremento for the rest of the month, I can give you a ride in my car, I have revolvers and stock turbo. Made 424ft/lbs on a MUSTANG dyno. Made 365 hp lol. The car is a tq monster
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys have e85 up there??
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I was going to ask where the revolver cams fitted in for a torque monster , compared to S1s and 264/272 cams anyway .

Cheers , A .
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

for better low end you want cams with a lot of lift and not too much duration. Also race gas/e85 helps a lot.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:06 AM

I still don't feel like I lost anything down low with the S2s. If you look at my chart on the previous page the torque is fully loaded by 3400 rpm and holds about as nicely as I can ask for til redline considering it's just a stock IX turbo. I still have a few bottlenecks in my car too... stock DV, stock O2 housing, stock intake and exhaust manifolds as well as a catalytic converter.

They idle pretty smooth as well. There is a little lope but nothing too obnoxious. Plus its a nice feeling getting pushed into your seat all the way throughout the powerband instead of just during that initial torque spike.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tle-turbo.html

IMO do it right the first time, especially if you're paying for the install like I did.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadmeat
I still don't feel like I lost anything down low with the S2s. If you look at my chart on the previous page the torque is fully loaded by 3400 rpm and holds about as nicely as I can ask for til redline considering it's just a stock IX turbo. I still have a few bottlenecks in my car too... stock DV, stock O2 housing, stock intake and exhaust manifolds as well as a catalytic converter.

They idle pretty smooth as well. There is a little lope but nothing too obnoxious. Plus its a nice feeling getting pushed into your seat all the way throughout the powerband instead of just during that initial torque spike.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tle-turbo.html

IMO do it right the first time, especially if you're paying for the install like I did.
I've done all the work on my car myself but I don't think I'll touch the cams... I'll leave that to a professional. I'll probably end up going with S2s then. I have the 10.5 VIII Turbo but I may upgrade to the IX one day... so far I don't see a turbo upgrade for me in the future... but who knows
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOEuro
Hey Taylor gang, I'll be in sacremento for the rest of the month, I can give you a ride in my car, I have revolvers and stock turbo. Made 424ft/lbs on a MUSTANG dyno. Made 365 hp lol. The car is a tq monster

That's crazy... on the stock block?! I have a station with e85 walking distance from my house
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
for better low end you want cams with a lot of lift and not too much duration. Also race gas/e85 helps a lot.
so revolver cams would probably be best for low end? I'll be getting tuned on e85 within the next month so I'll see how that goes
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=taylorgang;9531232]so revolver cams would probably be best for low end? ....QUOTE]

You do realize that Revolver cams are out of production don't you? Thus, it would be next to impossible to find a new set as vendors no longer have any in stock . You would probably have to settle for a high mileage used set.

Considering that even when new, Revolver cams had a fairly spotty quality control record, buying a used set may be a hit or miss proposition at best.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 13, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use almost any cams you want-- advance the intake to cam to 108* and exh to 110. If you want run split duration 272 /264.--with more intake duration and you will build a lot of midrange an low end. The HKS turbo is awesome for this-- I ran 272/264 HKS on stock turbo and it was real nice--now running 274/278 with the HKS turbo and its slick...running same cams straight up---lost a lot of lowend..advanced the intake got it all back. In general low duration high lift is the ticket--more intake duration and advancing the cams will build more low end as well--the combo works.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have HKS for CHEAP!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Use almost any cams you want-- advance the intake to cam to 108* and exh to 110. If you want run split duration 272 /264.--with more intake duration and you will build a lot of midrange an low end. The HKS turbo is awesome for this-- I ran 272/264 HKS on stock turbo and it was real nice--now running 274/278 with the HKS turbo and its slick...running same cams straight up---lost a lot of lowend..advanced the intake got it all back. In general low duration high lift is the ticket--more intake duration and advancing the cams will build more low end as well--the combo works.
I pretty much agree with what is said above. If you want it to spool, then advancing the the intake cam timing is gonna improve turbo spoolup. I also have liked the spoolup with the staggered HKS sets, such as, 280/272, and 272/264. These staggered HKS sets advanced to +1/-1, 0r even +2/0 combined with a BB HKS 7460R would be a stupid spooling setup.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

To increase the rev range you need upgraded springs and retainers, correct? Just curious about this... I couldn't really find any exact info. Let's say you want to be able to rev to 8K RPM without blowing up the motor...

Quick Reply: best cams for low end power?