Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

longevity of twin disc carbon carbon clutches?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longevity of twin disc carbon carbon clutches?

was wondering what the longevity is of twin disc carbon carbon clutches are. i have an rps carbon/carbon waiting to go in.

car will mostly be a street driven car with occasional drag passes (maybe 20 a year).
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
it's my understanding that the Carbon-carbon clutches are the best. You dont risk overheating the pressure plates, that would result in warping and a fast deteriorating clutch.
I do not have actual experience in this, but it's something i've been looking into.

I know there are warnings with the Carbonetics carbon clutch regarding warping of the steel pressure plates if there is too much slip.

Can you post some pics of your carbon/carbon clutch please?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anthonyrb98
was wondering what the longevity is of twin disc carbon carbon clutches are. i have an rps carbon/carbon waiting to go in.

car will mostly be a street driven car with occasional drag passes (maybe 20 a year).
I bought a Tilton twin carbon for my car (from ER) as it'll spend a lot of time on the strip.

When I asked Aaron about street life he said it was fairly short lived for stop and go traffic.

Theres a compromise you have to consider, the carbon/carbon will be the best for strip use, maint on it though can be costly. Pretty sure thats why Buschur went with the exedy tripple now.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know its not a twin but I daily'd a triple carbon for a year and a half, 30k. Only 2 hard launches really and it has 3.8mm of material left (Brand new it ships with 3.9mm of material).
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be fine to Drive it on the street If it was the Tilton I wouldn't recommend street driving it at all if you want it to last
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same clutch as the OP and I like the pros and cons that I have read thus far. I have been considering getting rid of the clutch and replace it with the new MAP clutch kit.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have driven carbonetics twin and triple, tilton carbon/carbon (with heavy flywheel) and RPS carbon/carbon.

smoothness from stop? best to worst
RPS, carbonetics triple, carbonetics twin, tilton

quiet
RPS, tilton, carb twin, carb triple

shift fast
tilton (by far), carb twin, carb triple, RPS

life span
carb triple, carb twin, RPS, tilton

estimate tq holding cold (hot ad 25%)
tilton 900 (actual test from tilton)
RPS 750
carb twin 700
carb triple 1100

Tilton carbon has bad rep for lasting as street clutch. Mine however has held up very well to many street miles. carbon material resist wear far better when hot. carbon material takes 1000 easy miles to get broken in proper. must form smooth glass like surface. Given that 99% of the people who choose a tilton carbon/carbon where die hard drag racers it is my belief the clutches that failed early were never broken properly. driving a drag car 1000 easy city miles is pretty much impossible. second these cars are run cold for best times at track, strike two. a final they all used very light fly which requires high rpm and lots of slip to get off the line, strike three. My tilton clutch has maybe 7500 hard city miles on it. has 24 lb weight (16 for evo) From the wear I have seen thus far I feel I can get 150,000 street miles out of it.

Carbonetics clutches are proving to be phenomenally long wearing clutches. see post #4 above. I recently bought a used twin with 45,000 miles on it. one plate had just .005 wear on it. the second prematurely worn due to pressure plate being warped from overheating. when these clutches are driven properly they will outlast life of car. not a good choice for drag racers as its far too easy to over heat metal parts. once they warp they destroy carbon in just a few miles. currently my favorite clutch hands down.

RPS carbon. not much data on this clutch. RPS stopped making this clutch years ago because they got too much feedback of lock out at high rpm. I recently sold one to friend who needed a good clutch for his new build. I was extremely jealous of how well the clutch drove. I called rps to see if he had any and he said they dont make them any longer. He did say they now have advanced materials to make a triple that would shift WAy better than the twin. I choose not to be Ginnie pig. the clutch here started slipping after 4000miles. He has been battling oil leaks since built so I am 99% sure oil mist may have soaked the plates. the rebuild will cost 1050.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Aug 27, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
*** Fantastic Feedback ***

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have driven carbonetics twin and triple, tilton carbon/carbon (with heavy flywheel) and RPS carbon/carbon.

smoothness from stop? best to worst
RPS, carbonetics triple, carbonetics twin, tilton

quiet
RPS, tilton, carb twin, carb triple

shift fast
tilton (by far), carb twin, carb triple, RPS

life span
carb triple, carb twin, RPS, tilton

estimate tq holding cold (hot ad 25%)
tilton 900 (actual test from tilton)
RPS 750
carb twin 700
carb triple 1100

Tilton carbon has bad rep for lasting as street clutch. Mine however has held up very well to many street miles. carbon material resist wear far better when hot. carbon material takes 1000 easy miles to get broken in proper. must form smooth glass like surface. Given that 99% of the people who choose a tilton carbon/carbon where die hard drag racers it is my belief the clutches that failed early were never broken properly. driving a drag car 1000 easy city miles is pretty much impossible. second these cars are run cold for best times at track, strike two. a final they all used very light fly which requires high rpm and lots of slip to get off the line, strike three. My tilton clutch has maybe 7500 hard city miles on it. has 24 lb weight (16 for evo) From the wear I have seen thus far I feel I can get 150,000 street miles out of it.

Carbonetics clutches are proving to be phenomenally long wearing clutches. see post #4 above. I recently bought a used twin with 45,000 miles on it. one plate had just .005 wear on it. the second prematurely worn due to pressure plate being warped from overheating. when these clutches are driven properly they will outlast life of car. not a good choice for drag racers as its far too easy to over heat metal parts. once they warp they destroy carbon in just a few miles. currently my favorite clutch hands down.

RPS carbon. not much data on this clutch. RPS stopped making this clutch years ago because they got too much feedback of lock out at high rpm. I recently sold one to friend who needed a good clutch for his new build. I was extremely jealous of how well the clutch drove. I called rps to see if he had any and he said they dont make them any longer. He did say they now have advanced materials to make a triple that would shift WAy better than the twin. I choose not to be Ginnie pig. the clutch here started slipping after 4000miles. He has been battling oil leaks since built so I am 99% sure oil mist may have soaked the plates. the rebuild will cost 1050.
Dang! This is some awesome feedback, my friend.