Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is the final consensus on the Exedy Twin Disc?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the final consensus on the Exedy Twin Disc?

Alright, bear with me here. Since I got my car about a month ago I have been having engagement issues with my Exedy, and the previous owner has helped me out in every step of the way and swears that new clutch discs were put in less than a year ago (I have receipts as well). The car is fine up shifting, however, you have to REALLY muscle it into reverse, and it is very difficult to get into first when stopped. I've read all of the way through this thread multiple times: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging, as well as many others that talk about the same issue.

Basically, if I have to go in there to rebuild a clutch with 5k miles on it, that's ridiculous. Not only does it sound like I need clutch discs, but also pressure plate and middle plate. Does anyone get a lot of miles out of their Exedy Twin Discs? All I have heard and experienced is trouble. I drive ~20k miles a year, and need the best DD clutch that will hold 500whp, and hold it for a long time. I don't launch the car ever, but it obviously sees some spirited driving. The point of this thread is to help myself and others decide if the Exedy is really a good clutch, weighing in the initial cost, the lack of longevity, and cost of rebuild.

Thanks.

Lets hear it!

**I accidentally posted this in the General Section first, so if mods see this one first, delete the other. Please forgive me
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first Exedy twin lasted me 50K miles at around 300WHP very spirited driving Launching it at least 3-5 times a week LOL but my car would just loose traction every time a launched it i almost never burn it.
Im on my 2nd EXEDY TWIN at 500WHP now so will see how long it lasts. I had similar issue with my first and reverse but i just adjusted my clutch pedal all the way and use Red Line tranny fluid and it seemed to fix the proplem, could also be a bad throw out bearing and fork (those can bend) or at least thats what I was told. I change those every clutch change.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RomansEVO8
My first Exedy twin lasted me 50K miles at around 300WHP very spirited driving Launching it at least 3-5 times a week LOL but my car would just loose traction every time a launched it i almost never burn it.
Im on my 2nd EXEDY TWIN at 500WHP now so will see how long it lasts. I had similar issue with my first and reverse but i just adjusted my clutch pedal all the way and use Red Line tranny fluid and it seemed to fix the proplem, could also be a bad throw out bearing and fork (those can bend) or at least thats what I was told. I change those every clutch change.
The TOB and bearing are fairly new. I already re-adjusted it the "correct" way, but I'm going to get some BG Synchromesh and see if that helps the case, although I'm fairly convinced it's clutch related.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:33 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you adjust the pedal at all? During installation, did you lube the spindle with some grease?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:31 AM

I have a Exedy twin for over a year and everything went well. I think your problem may be in a bad installation
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by artyturbo
I have a Exedy twin for over a year and everything went well. I think your problem may be in a bad installation
Bingo i have way more then 600whp and 575tq and its fine and i DD it. installation error there buddy or whoever rebuilt it did not use new parts. before you start blaming the clutch and starting a war over exedy clutches take yours out and have it inspected along with the installation that sounds faulty. waaaay to many people use exedy twins to perfection on this forum
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad installation causes a major issue not a small issue. You can't install this clutch incorrectly and then have it "half" work.

After reading a few of these threads, and installing a couple myself, I think they're getting warped out of spec from the heat.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Did you adjust the clutch for full travel yet? I'm guessing not, but most of the people with issues myself included have solved it with proper adjustment of the clutch.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Does the car move even with the clutch pedal depressed while in gear?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

has it dawned to you you might have a tranny issue.coule be somethin in there,,i just sent my tranny into shep because i was having lock out issue at high rpm...i had all sorts or stuff wrong with it...bad 1st gear bad 5th chipped input shaft all syncros worn..i think you may want to do the same...the clutch can only be adjusted so many times..
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

My BRAND NEW exedy twin did this as well. and the dealership installed it for me!

there is another thread about this. one of the plates warps VERY easily.
I will never buy this clutch again. i messed with it over and over and over again to try and get it to stop. never did.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Are you 110% sure that your clutch has been bled properly?
http://www.teamrip.com/how_to_proper...utch_info.html

I was taught (when I first got my license) to pump the pedal, but in reality all you do is press and hold it. I bled mine a couple months ago following this how-to, and wallah... no more clutch dragging. I'd give it a shot, it couldn't hurt.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

THE ACT HDSS IS PROBABLY THE BEST dd clutch out there. I have 400whp on 91 octane and 500+ on race gas and the clutch is great. i have 40k+miles on this clutch and i drive my car at least 15k a year.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, I seriously weighed installation error, but why would it work for ~5K miles and then have problems arise? As for clutch adjustment, I watched the one a lot of people post on here from Youtube and performed that. Same issue. I really don't want to blame the clutch by any means. I realize that it could be a transmission issue, but seeing as MANY people have the same issue as me with this clutch, I weighed that out for the time being. The clutch will be coming out, however, it won't be for awhile, so I wanted to get a good bit of information about the longevity of the Exedy Twin Disc. This thread was more to find out how long they are lasting people, rather than diagnosing my own problem, as I'm not the typical form troll who asks questions and blames parts without taking their car apart to actually find out what's wrong. Thanks for all the responses thus far
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
THE ACT HDSS IS PROBABLY THE BEST dd clutch out there. I have 400whp on 91 octane and 500+ on race gas and the clutch is great. i have 40k+miles on this clutch and i drive my car at least 15k a year.
This is what I have been hearing. Is your lockout bad? I have been speaking with many different builders that run these clutches, and some experience lockout all of the time, while others barely experience it.

Quick Reply: What is the final consensus on the Exedy Twin Disc?