Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is the final consensus on the Exedy Twin Disc?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this clutch in the Evo I bought a month ago and it's STUPID loud and just started giving me issues with lockout into reverse. I planned on replacing it anyways, but not so soon. I hate the Exedy Twin disk. Period. Great power capabilities, smooth shifts, but seems problematic to many owners. Until I can't drive the car, this clutch will stay in it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well I love my Exedy twin disk. My Evo is my DD. I had the SD before and now I have the HD. Both clutches are awesome. Yes it makes some noise with the clutch pedal pushed in but its hardly noticeable. It also has the Seal bark when you downshift and dont rev match perfectly but personally I kind of like the sound. I did have shifting issues a couple times but since I changed to redline lightwieght trans oil its been shifting a lot smoother. The clutch also needs to be adjusted perfectly at the clutch pedal. Lastly if you have a clutch fork stopper make sure the fork is not riding on it at the rest position.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Dino
I am still unclear on which part jacks transmission is suggesting to polish...when you remove the twin disc, the outer most purple cover with the fingers (I was confident it was the pressure plate until someone told me other wise) contacts a floating plate. Any clarity would be great. Thanks
Polish the floater plate, where it contacts the things that come up from the flywheel. A little extra clearance there can help.

I had an exedy twin for about 15K miles. It didn't do anything wrong, necessarily, aside from twice locking me out of second at the track and ruining a run. ( I launched at the track probably 40-50 times). I just didn't like it. I didn't like the way it slipped when I let out the clutch, specifically. it held just fine once I was off the clutch pedal, but while starting out it always just felt funny to me.
I got a quartermaster and I like it a lot more as I'm able to modulate the slip better (don't ask me how this is possible. I just don't know,) Q-master discs don't last nearly as long, but it costs less than half what the exedy does for a full rebuild.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Just to touch on the clutch life thing, here's two extreme examples. Joe lives right next to the interstate and literally just starts from a stop and goes through the gears to fifth then drives 200 miles on the interstate a day. Bob drives 2 miles a day but it's stop and go for 30+ minutes the entire way and hilly. You can imagine the DRAMATIC difference in mileage these two would get out of the same clutch, even though they are both "daily driving".

I haven't driven an Exedy twin disc, but I just got an ACT HDSS. I haven't launched it or anything, but it does seem to be a great DD clutch. Pressure is a bit stiffer than my worn out stocker was, but not much at all. The amount of pedal travel between totally disengaged and totally engaged is much smaller (this could just be because it's a brand new clutch) but it's perfectly manageable. I ran it through 1st-3rd shifting at 7k without launching and it shifted smooth. Upshifts are smoother than my stocker ever was, which i wasn't expecting since the disc is basically the same weight and dimensions.

Last edited by mirkendargen; Oct 27, 2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

I have 20K on my Exedy Twin-HD. Had the 1st/reverse/uneven engagement issue after 10K on the clutch. Felt like one of the discs was engaging before the other. After having it inspected @19K (new trans install) it was determined that the clutch still had more than 50% of its life left and after the car was put back together, no more clutch issues. I drive mostly locally and never launch the car hard. Clutch has seen 5+ track days and shifts like butter at high RPM (9K). When new it had a lot of chatter, but these days it's quiet as stock.

l8r)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I have 20K on my Exedy Twin-HD. Had the 1st/reverse/uneven engagement issue after 10K on the clutch. Felt like one of the discs was engaging before the other. After having it inspected @19K (new trans install) it was determined that the clutch still had more than 50% of its life left and after the car was put back together, no more clutch issues. I drive mostly locally and never launch the car hard. Clutch has seen 5+ track days and shifts like butter at high RPM (9K). When new it had a lot of chatter, but these days it's quiet as stock.

l8r)
That's very odd.... I just don't want to rebuild this clutch now if I'm going to have to do it in another 10K miles. Eh, I'm over it I guess.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I pulled mine out and have not had a chance to measure the discs. Exedy calls or service at 3mm per disc (4mm when new). The only
Noticeable issue where the fingers on the intermediate plate. Almost all of them where snapped and probably turned into the fine dust that come out of the trans when you pull it off. Also the pretty purple cover showed some nicks in it. Likely the shrapnel from those fingers caused it. I'll post pics when I get home. I have had the clutch in there for 30k. Maybe 2 track days, mostly street driving, rev matched its entire life and not a lot of launches. There was no warping or even any heat marks present anywhere in the assembly. Clutch never slipped but did engage right off the floor no matter the pedal adjustment or repeateded bleeding. I'm chalking this up to the broken fingers causing uneven engagement along the surface area of the discs. I like the setup but would consider the quartermaster next time around.
The following users liked this post:
evo9gtx (Apr 23, 2016)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jersey Dino
The only
Noticeable issue where the fingers on the intermediate plate. Almost all of them where snapped and probably turned into the fine dust that come out of the trans when you pull it off. Also the pretty purple cover showed some nicks in it. Likely the shrapnel from those fingers caused it.I like the setup but would consider the quartermaster next time around.
I had the same thing happen to me with my SD clutch. I also know someone else this happend to. It made it hard to engage 1st and reverse probably because the disks were dragging. I now have a new HD and it goes into gear perfect now. We will see how long it takes for the metal release fingers to break. Hopefully not soon.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mirkendargen

I haven't driven an Exedy twin disc, but I just got an ACT HDSS. I haven't launched it or anything, but it does seem to be a great DD clutch. Pressure is a bit stiffer than my worn out stocker was, but not much at all.
I see these comparisons often. The thing is, a new stocker with all the mechanism lubed properly will require noticeably less pedal effort than a worn out stocker. Pedal effort increases over time but this occurs so gradually you never notice it.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:11 PM

Can anyone explain what does jack transmission mean about polishing the clutch basket?

which part to polish and how much polish do I have to do?

I have the same problem with guys here. But my problem is rising when the clutch gets warmed up. When the first time I drive the car. Everything is perfect. No problem with shifting into every gear, no problem with half clutching, no problem going up hill. But after few hour driving and the clutch is getting warmed up. Then the problem rising. It feel hard to shift gear, going half clutch on traffic is a b*tch.

This is what jack transmission says:
Exedy Twin Disk Clutch WARNING

We have noticed a problem with the Exedy twin disk units for the EVO 8-9 that people are mistaking for a trans problem. If you are using an Exedy twin disk clutch, please note some have a problem of sticking at idle when the clutch is depressed which will cause the trans to feel terribly notchy when shifting into gear from a stop. This is happening due to insufficient floater plate to basket clearance. The floater is cast and the basket is not. The difference in materials cause the assembly to stick when the vehicle warms up as the parts are expanding at different rates, so the floater will not let go of the disk and cause a low RPM clutch drag issue. To prevent this problem we recommend the following before installing our trans when using the Exedy twin disk:

1) Disassemble the clutch assembly.
2) Polish the area on the basket that makes contact with the floater (the arms).
3) Polish each side of the arms around the basket thoroughly.

This will prevent the floater from sticking by adding more clearance and a nice polished smooth surface for the floater to make contact with. When done correctly, your new trans will shift perfectly at low RPM or your old trans with your new twin disk clutch
Attached Thumbnails What is the final consensus on the Exedy Twin Disc?-kopling-exedy.jpg  
Old Sep 8, 2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by indo_galant
Can anyone explain what does jack transmission mean about polishing the clutch basket?

which part to polish and how much polish do I have to do?

I have the same problem with guys here. But my problem is rising when the clutch gets warmed up. When the first time I drive the car. Everything is perfect. No problem with shifting into every gear, no problem with half clutching, no problem going up hill. But after few hour driving and the clutch is getting warmed up. Then the problem rising. It feel hard to shift gear, going half clutch on traffic is a b*tch.

This is what jack transmission says:
Exedy Twin Disk Clutch WARNING

We have noticed a problem with the Exedy twin disk units for the EVO 8-9 that people are mistaking for a trans problem. If you are using an Exedy twin disk clutch, please note some have a problem of sticking at idle when the clutch is depressed which will cause the trans to feel terribly notchy when shifting into gear from a stop. This is happening due to insufficient floater plate to basket clearance. The floater is cast and the basket is not. The difference in materials cause the assembly to stick when the vehicle warms up as the parts are expanding at different rates, so the floater will not let go of the disk and cause a low RPM clutch drag issue. To prevent this problem we recommend the following before installing our trans when using the Exedy twin disk:

1) Disassemble the clutch assembly.
2) Polish the area on the basket that makes contact with the floater (the arms).
3) Polish each side of the arms around the basket thoroughly.

This will prevent the floater from sticking by adding more clearance and a nice polished smooth surface for the floater to make contact with. When done correctly, your new trans will shift perfectly at low RPM or your old trans with your new twin disk clutch
I would like to know this as well. How much and where? Pics would help
Old Sep 9, 2014, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok if you look at the flywheel portion there are 6 or so pillars. These pillars are where the pressure plate bolts into.

The floaters make contact with these pillars, so you need to polish the pillars where the plates will touch. There is a gray polishing wheel that dremel makes and it works well.

Once you do it the clutch will work quietly.

To be clear the inside of the pillar closest to the crank and the one on the opposite of that does not need to be polished...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like my exedy btw, only thing I don't like is the springs start to rattle and they make noise in gear on decel now.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:10 AM

Does any care to eloborate on the past few years if the clutch is the same or has gotten better.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't know what you mean by getting better over the years, but I still love my Exedy Twin HD Ceramic/Metallic :}

Quick Reply: What is the final consensus on the Exedy Twin Disc?