Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Chatter noise after build on tranny and clutch

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chatter noise after build on tranny and clutch

Hey guys, I looked up online for any posts people have put up about chattering or any noises from the tranny, I found out most of them were from the same clutch, or similar ones... Anyways I wanted to make my own post and see wat Evo people say from experience. Tranny was rebuilt by John Shepherd, so I'm pretty sure it's not the tranny. I had put in an exedy stage 1 HD organic clutch (as suggested by the shop when my tranny was built) I guess i never really noticed the noise during break in, but at around 1k mile break in i started noticing it. So the car makes chattering noises when clutch is not engaged, it makes the same noise but alot loader during down shifts and high revs. It shifts great thou, but if I ever hold the Clutch down for a little longer than usual (up a hill) it will make a noise as if two plates r rubbing on each other. Specs on car; 465tq 500hp to wheels. Any ideas will help thanks
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

how many miles on the clutch? most aftermarket clutches have some kind of shatter to them, some go away over time some dont!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:59 AM

It's at around 4k miles right now
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:39 PM

Bump
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by megaevo
So the car makes chattering noises when clutch is not engaged, it makes the same noise but alot loader during down shifts and high revs.
So it's making the noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in right? I dont know about the clutch you have (I wouldnt think an organic single would chatter) but my triple is loud as a **** and gets quite annoying especially when driving against a divider or when in traffic but I cant complain on the engagement
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:57 AM

No the noise happens when the clutch is not pushed in. When I have the clutch in it stops the noise, when the clutch is not activated, it makes the noise
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by megaevo
No the noise happens when the clutch is not pushed in. When I have the clutch in it stops the noise, when the clutch is not activated, it makes the noise
Are you sure it's the clutch!? There should be chattering when the clutch is pushed in, as the disks should be floating. My PTT is obnoxious!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:45 AM

Well I read on a diff forums with people coming out with the same problem and they said it was the clutch... I originally thought it was the throw out bearing, but after looking up at so many people with similar problems and symptoms, I started to think it was the clutch also
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

From your description, it is most likely gear noise because of the change in dampening springs from the OEM clutch disc to the Exedy aftermarket clutch disc. It will not harm anything.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Its either the throw out bearing or input shaft bearing. Very common issues that don't probably are not worth worrying about.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
my clutch (exedy twin hd) chatters, in gear or not, ~25mph until the car is warmed up
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine chatters from LWFW. So I would suggest light weight fly wheel or TOB
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Because the noise goes away only when the clutch is fully disengaged (foot near the floor), then you can rule out the TOB being the issue. The TOB doesn't function any different from the top of the pedal stroke to the bottom of the stroke.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my car makes a loud knocking noise with my brand new act clutch and new transmission. Its been doing it for a while like 8kmiles and it goes away when i push in the clutch. I suspect its the TOB on my car,but i haven't had in ill effects other than the annoying knocking noise.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:26 PM

Well my tranny was built at sheptrans... So chances of being anything with the tranny is pretty slim, but I believe stuff happens, I know it might not be 100% perfect every time they build a tranny... But just wondering if it was harmful or not, if there are any thing I should do or not lol. I guess from what I hear, it's normal and won't effect anything.

Quick Reply: Chatter noise after build on tranny and clutch