Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

idle air control valve location..vid inside!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idle air control valve location..vid inside!

hey can anybody tell me which one is the idle air control valve,my car keeps stalling and i think i need to replace this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrOdK7G9lt4

now im pointing to two things at the throttle body which one is the iacv, the first one im pointing to or the second one?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This first one, on the right is your TPS the next one is your IACV, on the left side of the throttle body.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PFC McDonald
This first one, on the right is your TPS the next one is your IACV, on the left side of the throttle body.
thanks man! and how do i check if its working right or i need replacement?

do i take it out?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:05 AM

You can take it out and clean it but I am having the same problem just not to the extent you are... most-likely will have to be replaced. Cost about 400.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

You can take it out and clean it but I am having the same problem just not to the extent you are... most-likely will have to be replaced. Cost about 400.
oh ok and just to be sure the iacv is the one which is on the downside of the throttle body right?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:08 AM

Yes... I just had the top one replaced, which is your TPS.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Yes... I just had the top one replaced, which is your TPS.
thanks alot man for your quick replies and help!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

I got a receipt when I bought my car of a new iac and I think it was in the mid $200's or 300's....Either way shop around, all the stealerships around me always give different prices, I dont know if theyre pocketing some of the money or what but sometimes there wayyyy off price of the other ones. Some of the evo shops might have them to for a better price and in stock. Check out extremepsi.com they have a bunch of oem parts for good prices and get to your house next day if your in NJ. You can try cleaning it or maybe has a bad o-ring but if you have a vacuum leak or bad tune or something it can also prob cause the issues your having. I know I wouldnt want to buy an expensive part if I knew I didn't have to.

Also if you have to change it it's prob easier to take off the throttle body since theyre small phillips screws, mine didnt come off easy anyway

Last edited by My03evo; Oct 24, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:32 PM

thanks guys... it hasnt done it since but today so im gonna clean the air control valve first and let you guys know what i find out
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can find a used IAC on this forum for less than $100...I've seen them in the $50 range too... no need to buy a new one for a couple hundred or more.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Amazon 80 shipped

Woot Woot
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Amazon 80 shipped

Woot Woot
here it is... here it is...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:44 AM

Here is a guide if you want to measure it:

http://www.lancerregister.com/faq_f22.php
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bolle
Here is a guide if you want to measure it:

http://www.lancerregister.com/faq_f22.php
dude, thank you. this is very cool.

nevertheless, I already confirmed it's toast following these steps:

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Unfortunately the IAC always always always "looks" fine, (well unless it's just broken to pieces which I've never seen) however looking at it will not tell you if it's good but you're in luck because it is VERY easy to test the IAC.

1. Unscrew the 3 screws that hold it in and leave it connected to the electrical connector.
2. Have someone else (or you can do this yourself) turn the car to ON but don't crank it.

The little knob on the IAC should slide in and out as it looks for the correct place to dial in for your idle and it makes alot of clicking noises as it slides in and out. It is very easy to hear it. When my idle is off and I'm cruising and drop the clutch as the car almost dies if I listen I can hear the IAC moving to catch the idle. If it doesn't move at all, the IAC is dead. Also make sure to check for the o-ring gasket on the IAC. It is a very unique and specific size/thickness. You can't just find one to swap it in, I've looked and could never get one to fit other than the factory one. If you lost that o-ring that will cause idle issues also. If your IAC is good and the idle is still off check for that o-ring and remove it then lubricate it with some grease (assuming you have it). It's a pretty easy item to diagnosis thank goodness
Originally Posted by njboy
My iac is jammed. If you take it out of the TB keep it plugged into the harness and turn on the ignition key without starting the engine. The plunger should move and the motor should vibrate to hold it's position. My valve didn't move or vibrate. It just started to get pretty hot since the motor is jammed. That's it really. Obviously there is a design flaw since it only lasted 55k miles.
I'll order the IAC from Amazon immediately and let you guys know how I fare after the install. car is in the driveway with the IC piping taken apart, waiting.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

I ordered it on Monday, they said "Shipment Date: April 22, 2013 "
all week tracking info said no more info then finally this:

April 26, 2013 --- Opa Locka FL US Departure Scan
April 25, 2013 09:41:00 PM Opa Locka FL US Departure Scan
April 25, 2013 08:26:00 PM Pompano Beach FL US Arrival Scan
April 22, 2013 --- US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

three full days before they actually shipped it and now I've got to lose the weekend over it with my car disabled in the driveway.

lame.

Quick Reply: idle air control valve location..vid inside!