Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

balance shaft removed, what should my oil level be?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
balance shaft removed, what should my oil level be?

should i stay at stock oil levels? someone said i should put in 6qts. info please? also i run mobil 1 EP 10-30 should this be the oil to use? ive gone through so many threads im just confused at this point. info please im running 515whp on 93 i have a 35r built 2,0 and add about a half qt every 1200mils... i did find some oil in my ic piping but were not sure if it was there from whenthe old engine from the old owner blew or what so i have to keep an eye on that.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 09:40 PM

also best oil i should be running that i can buy at wak nart or auto zone would be great lol having to order cases online gets to be a pain in the ***
Old Nov 1, 2011, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm i'm kind of in the same boat... i don't know which oil to use...
built long block with stock turbo still...
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
i would suggest Valvoline VR1 or something equivalent at your local auto store.. dont put more then 5 quarts in your car. you can fill it to the "full" mark on the dipstick.

your oil pressure if you have a gauge and its tapped at the housing should be 100psi at startup then slowly drop down.. your normal idle oil pressure in psi should be somewhere around 30psi with the balance shafts eliminated with the car fully warmed up.

I run Brad penn 20w50 in my car, but also recommend Amsoil as well.. either Zrod or Premium synthetic. I ran and still have Amsoil premium full synthetic (ARO) and its great oil. I just didnt wanna put a full synthetic in my car until the rings fully seated.

Make it a habit to check oil level everytime you get fuel.. built engines will consume some oil when you run the **** out of them.

Also do yourself a favor and use quality filters.. the oem mitsu filters have built in check valves, i use those, but they have others that work as well or better also available. theres LOTS of information on this forum regarding oil, filters, etc.. you should search the forum and find all the information you could ever ask for.

Also a quick tip for searching this forum is to use google.. go to google.com and whatever you're looking for type it in then put evom after it and google will index the entire forum and do all the work for you.

Last edited by tscompusa; Nov 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:09 AM

doesnt taking out the shaft make more room tho?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The oil drains back to and is contained in the pan. The proper level is indicated by the dipstick. Too little oil may allow the oil to slosh around in violent maneuvers and uncover the oil pickup. This could cause air instead of oil to be momentarily pumped through the engine. Too much oil will bring the level up to the crankshaft and allow the crankshaft to whip the oil causing foaming (another way to get air in the engine) and eating horsepower.

Other than the brand/type of oil you want to use, the only other thing you need to worry about is oil pressure. It is good to have an oil pressure gauge installed so that you know that the oil passages that fed the removed balance shaft are properly blocked off. Low oil pressure tells you that something is wrong.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:35 AM

good tip with the google search.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:35 AM

yea i need to get a oil pressure gauge. are the pressure numbers listed above the correct numbers for everyone?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car is 100 cold, fully warmed up it stays at 45-50. i also use 5 full quarts of oil, i dont have an oil cooler. oil reads just a tad above the full line
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:59 PM

I run vr1 20w50 and with my car cold it sits right at 100, once fully warmed up its at 43-51.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitevo88
should i stay at stock oil levels? someone said i should put in 6qts. info please? also i run mobil 1 EP 10-30 should this be the oil to use? ive gone through so many threads im just confused at this point. info please im running 515whp on 93 i have a 35r built 2,0 and add about a half qt every 1200mils... i did find some oil in my ic piping but were not sure if it was there from whenthe old engine from the old owner blew or what so i have to keep an eye on that.
Yes, balance shaft removal doesn't affect oil levels.

Oil clearances really depend on your bearing tolerances. Ask your engine builder.

That is a little much but nothing crazy. Do you have a catch can setup?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 05:12 PM

no it dumps to the ground since my intake is a 4inch tube with a huge filter at the end of it. altho it is better to have the line from the valve going to something that has a vac, like i said i didnt build it the kid who i got it from did and he says to stay with 10w-30 mobil 1 EP but it just seems so thin. he says because the bearings are closed. WTF does that mean? he said because they are closed it doesnt need anything too thick
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
i said i didnt build it the kid who i got it from did and he says to stay with 10w-30 mobil 1 EP but it just seems so thin. he says because the bearings are closed. WTF does that mean? he said because they are closed it doesnt need anything too thick
Engines with balance shafts removed and the oil passages blocked off are said to develope more oil pressure.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no it dumps to the ground since my intake is a 4inch tube with a huge filter at the end of it.
Wait oil is dripping out of the filter? You got some problems, broke rings or something. You should do a compression and leaked down test asap.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
off topic sorry. but is there any reason why people remove their balance shafts? how much power r u gaining??? i feel like its healthier for the motor to be in a balance at all times

Quick Reply: balance shaft removed, what should my oil level be?