Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why is there an oily residue around the oil filler cap as if it is being forced out?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is there an oily residue around the oil filler cap as if it is being forced out?

Why is there an oily residue around the oil filler cap as if it is being forced out under boost? It seems to be only around this area. Could this be blow-by? If so, it doesn't come through the port in the valve cover that I have vented to the atmosphere...the one that used to be connected to the intake tract. The car is a OEM longblock car with FP4Rs, an HTA35R on E85 running 30psi. I checked the OEM PCV valve & it seems to be in working order...only allowing vacuum though but not boost. When the car idles at operating temp it pulls about 35 cm/hg of vacuum...isn't that indicative of a healthy motor? I have NEVER had the dipstick pop out. I hope this isn't excessive blow-by.

ANYONE with ANY type of useful info, please chime in. Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rd122481
Why is there an oily residue around the oil filler cap as if it is being forced out under boost? It seems to be only around this area. Could this be blow-by? If so, it doesn't come through the port in the valve cover that I have vented to the atmosphere...the one that used to be connected to the intake tract. The car is a OEM longblock car with FP4Rs, an HTA35R on E85 running 30psi. I checked the OEM PCV valve & it seems to be in working order...only allowing vacuum though but not boost. When the car idles at operating temp it pulls about 35 cm/hg of vacuum...isn't that indicative of a healthy motor? I have NEVER had the dipstick pop out. I hope this isn't excessive blow-by.

ANYONE with ANY type of useful info, please chime in. Thanks.
Im not sure if with your setup (converting cm/hg to in/hg) 14 in/hg of vacuum is normal or not. stock cam evos are about 19 in/hg vacuum. Are you saying that you actually have oil leakiing out of the oil filler cap under boost?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

I've experienced the same issue. I replaced the gasket on my oem oil cap and bam. Problem fixed for a couple $$.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

TommiM: Yeah. I think I need to do a catch can & eliminate the PCV. I hope that fixes it. After doing some research, I think that the amount of vacuum being generated at idle with the FP4R's is indicative of a healthy motor. I hope that fixes the prob!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

The gasket around the oil cap is failing, or you have a bit too much crank case pressure. If it is pressure int he crank case, it's a good idea to take care of it in case it blows your dipstick out and makes a giant mess instead of just a little bit around the filler cap. If your PCV valve fails (leaks) it's a mad boost leak, but does it pressurize the crank case much if you have the driver's side breather port unblocked?