Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC s1 cams with problem, should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSC s1 cams with problem, should I worry?

Ok I installed my GSC s1 cams today. I took my time, I was meticulous, ensured timing was dead on etc, I also used a torque wrench on the cam caps, went over them 3 times at 15 foot pounds. Anyways this is what I got.. please take a look at the exhaust cam gear/bolt. Look how it wobbles...
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...MDA2Lm1wNA.mp4

its hard to tell, but it wobbles consitently 1-2MM. First I thought that maybe bearing clearances. I grabbed the cam gear and used my body weight when the engine was off, and I could not get anything to budge. Not to mention the valvetrain is quiet, and it is normal when revving to 7k. No extra noises or issues. It appears that the cam bearing clearances are fine.

It appears the casting was drilled 1-2MM off from center? Is this normal? how is longetivity with this because it could create some bad harmonics? Possible throw the belt? I am also going to PM Greg at GSC and see if he can chime in what he thinks.

also here is the car at idle..and it does seem to lope alot for GSC S1s at 0,0, not that I am complaining
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...MDA3Lm1wNA.mp4
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow you can really see the difference. Are those aftermarket cam gears? If so is everything tightened down on it?

It seems like the cam gear is bent

Last edited by vmrevo9; Nov 27, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
Wow you can really see the difference. Are those aftermarket cam gears? If so is everything tightened down on it?

It seems like the cam gear is bent
ya everything is tight....I thought the cam gear was bent too. However that wouldnt explain the cam gear bolt to wobble as well as it is screwed right into the core of the camshaft.... It certainly appears its not the gear and its something else that has to do with the camshaft...possibly dripped/tapped off center?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only experience I have with gsc S1s are with a set I installed on my nephews 91 mr2 turbo. After installing them along with aftermarket cam gears set at 0, and valve springs, idle was just like stock. On his car idle has unchanged and vacuum is at around 19 in/hg. Thats a 3sgte engine, not a 4g63, but I should imagine it should be similar results. Seems like a bit of lopey idle for those cams, but they are more agressive for the 4g63 than the 3sgte variant.

Did you make sure the exhaust cam gear is pressed in all the way? tap it in carefully make sure its flush. Examine the hole and the gear itself to make sure there isnt a manufacturing flaw. Can you put back on the oem cam gear and see if it looks better?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

it seems that Non Mivec S1's are lopey. there has been a couple of videos posted on youtube that show this. heck compared to my S2's the S1's i have seen in video appear to lope harder than mine
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Maybe it is because I just woke up or something but I really don't see anything that looks out of place. I watched the video 5 times and I can see the bolt looks like it moves but if there tqed down to spec then I don't really see a problem. As long as you dont hear the cam gears hit, or the cam caps to tight causeing the cams to eat the cam surface I really wouldn't worry about it.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the bolt your using--check under the cap to be sure its not off center and then roll the bolt on a flat surface with your hand to see if it somehow got bent, head got bent, or twisted off center--may have been something you didnt noticed before but do now that you are looking at it.. Make sure the pin is all the way in the cam and the sprocket is flush with the cam face.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Maybe it is because I just woke up or something but I really don't see anything that looks out of place. I watched the video 5 times and I can see the bolt looks like it moves but if there tqed down to spec then I don't really see a problem. As long as you dont hear the cam gears hit, or the cam caps to tight causeing the cams to eat the cam surface I really wouldn't worry about it.
the op is worried about long term side affects. truthfully i would be too. even if its not hitting/rubbing anything now whats to say that because of the "wobble" it can create a weak spot due to stress/heat.

Last edited by vmrevo9; Nov 27, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
the op is worried about long term side affects. truthfully i would be too. even if its not hitting/rubbing anything now whats to say that because of the "wobble" it can create a weak spot due to stress/heat.
I know what he was asking and I agree with everything you said. Thing is it doesn't look like its anything really bad. I mean it could be an illusion being the wear on the bolt head. If the the breaker bar slippted some or whatever it could make a pattern on bolt head. Don't ask how I know about that one hahaha. Had to order new bolts cause I rounded one off by accident tring to get mine off. Not saying that is the problem being I watched it again I just don't seem to think there is an issue. If your really that worried about it, take the valve cover back off and redo all the cam caps one at a time and see if it changes.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

I know what he was asking and I agree with everything you said. Thing is it doesn't look like its anything really bad. I mean it could be an illusion being the wear on the bolt head. If the the breaker bar slippted some or whatever it could make a pattern on bolt head. Don't ask how I know about that one hahaha. Had to order new bolts cause I rounded one off by accident tring to get mine off. Not saying that is the problem being I watched it again I just don't seem to think there is an issue. If your really that worried about it, take the valve cover back off and redo all the cam caps one at a time and see if it changes.
I am 100% positive the cam caps are fine. I went over them 3 times with a torque wrench just to be sure. Yes I am worried about harmonics and premature wear from high RPM....
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

good point about the rounded bolt head. im interested to see what he comes up with.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Check the bolt your using--check under the cap to be sure its not off center and then roll the bolt on a flat surface with your hand to see if it somehow got bent, head got bent, or twisted off center--may have been something you didnt noticed before but do now that you are looking at it.. Make sure the pin is all the way in the cam and the sprocket is flush with the cam face.

Ok lets say the bolt head is bent....with the cam gear flushed it shouldn't wobble either right? The cam gear certainly is wobbling as well. It also doesnt wobble like it was bent...it wobbles like its out of round....I can see why you can only see the bolt...as the video is so dark..but the gear is definately moving as well.

It would be very hard to bend that 12MM bolt..I seriously doubt I am strong enough for that.....but I guess I can check it.

Last edited by mean4g63; Nov 27, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Were these cam gears installed before you carms were? I am wondering if this was an existing problem before and you never noticed it?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Were these cam gears installed before you carms were? I am wondering if this was an existing problem before and you never noticed it?
cam gears were installed on these cams only. These are AEM cam gears, and I used the factory cam gear bolt of the stockers btw....
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mean4g63
cam gears were installed on these cams only. These are AEM cam gears, and I used the factory cam gear bolt of the stockers btw....
I know it seems like alot of work but to be safe I would put the stock ones back on and see if it does the same thing. If so then you know it is another issue not the cam gears. I mean for as much as we pay for cams and what nots I think it would be a safe idea that won't cost you any money, but a little of your time. That in itself would be worth it if you wanted to be sure everything is good.

Quick Reply: GSC s1 cams with problem, should I worry?