Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Input shaft bearing???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked to shep and I was going to send in my tc. he said noise on decel is usually due to a bad flywheel
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can u elaborate more on what u mean by 'bad'?

Lightweight flywheels will absorb less than the heavier stockers, & in turn more drivetrain noise is usually transmitted. I've thought about trying to throw my stock flywheel back on for comparison, but since it made that noise with it to begin with (just less a bit), I don't really see the point..

I am surprised though that given the age of the Evo 8's at this point, & how common this problem is, that none have been able to give a solid answer to the source of this noise!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't checked this thread in awhile. Just to update the noise is NOT wheel bearings and it's not the T-case. The noise goes away when you disengage the clutch. It's only there when on decel. Add throttle and it goes away. Also have the typical knock/rattle noise in neutral. Push the clutch, it goes away, which is a tell tale sign of a noisy, but not "bad" input shaft bearing. A lot of manual cars I'm I've been in no matter the manufacture have a rattle type noise when in neutral.

Again, when my clutch went bad and I had a new one installed the noise went away. A week or so later it started to come back. It doesn't seem like it has gotten worse and doesn't have any effect on driveability.

By the flywheel being "bad" what exactly do you mean? I would think a bad flywheel would make noise with the clutch disengage since there is no pressure on it.

I just find it odd that, my car has been making this noise for damn near 3 years (16K miles) with no change or any bad effects.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:33 PM

I'm having about the same problem. Noise without load (decel) if I put load on it, it goes away. It's not all the time. Only if I stab the gas, then it upsets something here is a sound clip I took. What is this? Sound starts at 00:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EfBs...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Got_Boost; Feb 29, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Now that ^^^^^ sounds like a T-case. I mean, listening to a recording through phone speakers through my computer speakers certainly is not a very good way to diagnose a noise. But that sounds more like a whine to me.

My noise sounds like if you took a tin can, filled it with marbles and rolled it down a hill. But a little less exaggerated.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:12 PM

Pretty sure mine is not a transfer case. Mine already went out and was built by shep and didn't sound like that. Similar but different and also sounded like it was from the rear of the car. This is up front
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Got_Boost
Pretty sure mine is not a transfer case. Mine already went out and was built by shep and didn't sound like that. Similar but different and also sounded like it was from the rear of the car. This is up front
It's hard to tell. It sounds more like a whine though. A bearing usually won't whine, it will kind of "growl" so to speak. That the sounds I'm getting from my car.

I could very well be wrong, but I really don't think your sound is an input shaft bearing. Try uploading your recording somewhere so the sound quality is better.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

I sent Shep and e-mail and his response was he believes it's engine harmonics. Of course you can only do so much through an e-mail, as he can't hear it.

I happen to be an auto-tech. I work on Honda's. I've already replace an input shaft bearing and input shaft in a Civic due to noise. But, the noise is just a little different. Now, just the other day another Civic comes in with a complaint of a trans noise. I drive it and immediately know it's an input shaft bearing. The noise is constant while accelerating or decelerating. The noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal but it doesn't instantly cut out, it kind of "fades" out. I'm going to be pulling the trans and replacing the bearing and seal on Friday.

Now, not to be confused with MY car, That is in this type of writing. I work on cars but I'm not a genius. I don't know everything, that's why I'm asking for opinions. I know the Evo's have input shaft bearing issues on occasion. I believe there is even a TSB. But I've never actually heard and bad input shaft bearing in an Evo to know. I've never heard what typical "clutch noise" in an Evo sounds like either. I've driven one with a bad t-case and that's just plan obvious once you hear it. This is different. If the sound happens to be engine harmonics and just simple a noise that the clutch makes, so be it. The sound doesn't annoy me, other than worrying me.

Here is another video. You can hear when I accelerate even slightly the noise will go away. When I press in the clutch it cuts out instantly.

http://videobam.com/XpcLM
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Bump

This is still an ongoing noise. I'm 95% sure it's a bad input shaft bearing. My question is, I've only once seen in person and input shaft bearing catastrophically fail on a Honda. It then ripped the input shaft seal, leaking fluid onto the clutch disc causing the clutch to slip. Otherwise, even with a blown apart bearing, the car still ran. It was just noisy.

Has anybody ever had their input shaft bearing fail completely? If it's just noise, then it's noise. I could care less. But is there a risk in the Evo transmissions of this bearing failing and blowing to pieces? I've been driving my car around just waiting for the bearing to explode. I've heard noisy input shaft bearings on many cars, mostly in neutral with the clutch engaged. It never causes any serious issues except for the instance I mentioned before.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

So nobody has ever seen a catastrophically failed input shaft bearing? I'm trying to get an idea of how long I can let this go while I save up money to build my trans.

I read A LOT about people with the same noise. Some say they have had it for years, or since the car was new, or for 60k miles or whatever. It seems to be more of an annoyance than anything that needs immediate replacing. Most unknowingly think it's a throw-out bearing (I used to be one until I replaced a few input shaft bearings myself). But nobody ever seems to mention if they have any failures or if they ever fix the noise with a new input shaft bearing.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I highly doubt it's the input shaft bearing.. Like I've said, after my tranny was replaced with a fully rebuilt Stage 2 unit from WORKS, the noise remained! About the only thing I haven't checked on my car is the amount of crank movement to see if maybe the thrust bearing might be shot?? I mean, since the noise goes away when you put the clutch in, that would apply pressure on the thrust bearing & possibly quiet it down?

Thoughts?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hard to say whether or not we're experiencing the same noise. I know the input shaft bearings going bad is common and there is a TSB to replace them. But do they ever become more than an annoyance, is my question. Do they ever blow up or fail?

I doubt it's the thrust bearing. I'm almost certain my sound is an input shaft bearing. Rattle with the clutch engaged (pedal out) in neutral and noise on decel. Clutch disengaged, it's noise free. I've replaced a few in Honda's.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:59 PM

Mine has been at shep for 4 weeks and I still don't have it back. They are horrible on timing and communication. They told me my transmission was missing clips and spacers and gears were rubbing making my noise. They asked if the tranny has ever been open and it has not. They think it was an assembly problem at the Mitsubishi factory so idk ???
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Hard to say whether or not we're experiencing the same noise. I know the input shaft bearings going bad is common and there is a TSB to replace them. But do they ever become more than an annoyance, is my question. Do they ever blow up or fail?

I doubt it's the thrust bearing. I'm almost certain my sound is an input shaft bearing. Rattle with the clutch engaged (pedal out) in neutral and noise on decel. Clutch disengaged, it's noise free. I've replaced a few in Honda's.
Yeah, by your description we have the same noise problem. Rattle in idle (louder with A/C turned on), & a loud rattle on decel at about 45MPH+.. I've harassed countless shops/Evo guru's about this issue & finally gave up from the lack of a definitive answer. I've been living with it for 96,000+ miles already with no issues. I kinda hope that whatever is causing this noise blows up & breaks so I can finally find out what the source is, fix it for good, & move on!

Originally Posted by Got_Boost
Mine has been at shep for 4 weeks and I still don't have it back. They are horrible on timing and communication. They told me my transmission was missing clips and spacers and gears were rubbing making my noise. They asked if the tranny has ever been open and it has not. They think it was an assembly problem at the Mitsubishi factory so idk ???
That does not sound good! If your tranny really was missing parts, it had to have been assembled at the factory on a Friday afternoon before a 3-day weekend! LOL

I have my doubts though that all these Evo's I've encountered over the years with this noise is being caused from having missing parts in their transmissions...it's not impossible, just not probable.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you are describing clutch chatter. While in neutral or coasting there is no load on the clutch and it will rattle. When you accelerate slightly and the noise goes away you are putting a load on the clutch. On decel when you put the clutch pedal in your are putting a load on the clutch, thus sound goes away.

As the clutch wears down over time, the chatter will increase. You said that when you installed a new clutch it got better. I would expect this. If you have an aftermarket racing clutch, you should expect chatter.

Quick Reply: Input shaft bearing???