Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What boost could I run a new style FP Black at?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR4
147k ...damn never knew motors could go that high!
I hope you're joking
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks for the reponses guys.

Originally Posted by Liqquid
I see you're in England so picking up the phone might be expensive, but if you could calling Robert at FP is my recommendation.. he has spent tons of time discussing questions like yours with me.. perhaps you can email him instead with your exact build information and get the information needed..

Kins that flow information does come directly from them, and if I recall you can get a speed sensor installed but again one would have to call.
Yep that's right I live in good old Blighty

Thanks for the recommendation to get in contact with Robert - he does seem to be the man to speak to about my queries.

Do you recall how the flow rate info was issued? Was it published on the FP's website? I'm wondering if the latest FP black has an increased flow rate or if it just has improved bearings.

Originally Posted by Conrad
Karl,

My black flowed around 68 lbs / min at 34.8psi

The maximum boost it would make on my setup with the internal gate was around 34.8psi, Marios has achieved similar boost figures on his BB black setup.

Others have achieved upto 40psi using an external gate setup but I was told this is out of the performance window.

I was also told that running it close to 9300rpm was probably into overspeed terrority.

No reason why the new BB version would be any less reliable than say a Garrett BB.
Hi Conrad - good to see you on here buddy
Thanks for sharing your data with me - I know how you can be secret squirrel with your development work .
I think it's very unlikely that I'll want to convert the Black to run an external gate. I'm sure a 68lb/min flow will be more than adequate for me

35psi is what... just over 2.4bar - that sounds like a good healthy amount of boost

If the new core is indeed a lot more durable/reliable then this is probably a good figure to consider.

Without hooking a shaft speed sensor up it would be educated guesswork wouldn't it? I can well believe the the turbo will be working very hard and spinning pretty quick at over 9,000rpm though.

I will try and seek advice from Robert @ FP and see what his thoughts are.

Originally Posted by BoostINurI
I would say your sweet spot would be between 32-35psi....
That would tie in with the thinking of Conrad and Marios. Maybe the DCBB Black can take some more though.....

Originally Posted by mt057
Do you have a EGT sensor? I would think for road racing you would want to keep the boost down a little (less than 30) due to the prolonged usage. Would not give much time to cool and excessive EGT could build up and kill it.
I don't have an EGT plumbed in at the minute but I don't think it would be too difficult to one hook up, read on my ECU and displayed on the dash. I will need to do some research but my initial thoughts are it sounds doable.

So you think running boost over 30PSI will likely cook the turbo it's subject to a road racing application? That's an interesting opinion, may I ask why you have that opinion?

Originally Posted by Broham
If road racing, get a baffled pan or ams pan to keep the oil in the pan during cornering. Yes you do have the ball bearing which is not an "oil hog" but ultimate reliability would be oil pan, kiggly hla for less oil in the head and more in the pan, and running great oil. If you go e85 you'd have lower egts, and porting helps also with lower egt. Combine this with 32-33 psi e85 or 28 -29 psi pump gas for maximum reliability. You can push it of course, but this is as much as you can do in my opinion
RE - sump..... now that's a whole new thread right there and a real can of worms.
If I was running slicks, big aero and the car was an out and out race car then I would fit a proper dry sump kit. These large alloy sumps/baffled sumps only really help a little bit and by no means solve the problem. I am of the opinion that the only real solution to the problem is a dry sump kit. My car isn't an out an out race car - I can avoid full slicks and big aero and as such I will be running an OEM sump.
I will say that I am running a Kiggly HLA as I think it's a neat little product that's worth the $ - it will help.

E85 is available over here but unfortunately it's not easy to get hold of without ordering it by the drum. As such availability, storage and ability to refuel conveniently are the reasons why I don't and won't run it. If it was available up and down the country at many garages then I would love to run the stuff.
The car will be mapped and set up on Shell V-Power pump fuel - which has an octane rating of 99RON (our RON octane rating is different to your AKI and I thiiiiink 99RON is about the equivalent of 94AKI but don't quote me on that).

Running a meth mix, meth/water/LPG injection could be a way to lower the temps but that's something I may look into in the future.

Originally Posted by Steelo
The guys over at FP say to never exceed 147k rpm spool and 1650 degrees egt. Hope that helps
Thank you - that's ueseful info . May I ask where you found this info or is it something FP shared with you?

Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR4
147k ...damn never knew motors could go that high!
I hope you are joking too. If you weren't - we were talking about turbo shaft speed dude. I would definitely not recommend trying to rev your motor to 147,000 rpm - if you do please video and post on here

-Karl

Last edited by Kins; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 34 PSI of boost, tapering to 29 PSI by 8500 RPM's on my DBB FP Black using 93 OCT pump gas with no issues and EGT's well within an acceptable range. FWIW, I made 466 WHP.

I plan on upgrading to a 3-port boost controller and a custom MAP downpipe with an external dump and running 34+ PSI throughout the RPM range on pump. When I go back for a re-tune, I will also be doing an E85 tune at 40 PSI. I hope to make 500+ WHP on a pump retune, and 600+ on an E85 tune.

If you don't have an EGT gauge, definitely get one before you start road racing to keep an eye on the temps.

The new DBB FP Black, has been designed to accept much higher boost levels than advertised. You should be fine with 35+ boost.

You should also look into better oil such as AMSOIL. I run AMSOIL 20W-50 ARO with an AMS wet sump oil pan and a kiggly HLA. No issues to report. Life's been good

-Bink
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
I run 34 PSI of boost, tapering to 29 PSI by 8500 RPM's on my DBB FP Black using 93 OCT pump gas with no issues and EGT's well within an acceptable range. FWIW, I made 466 WHP.

I plan on upgrading to a 3-port boost controller and a custom MAP downpipe with an external dump and running 34+ PSI throughout the RPM range on pump. When I go back for a re-tune, I will also be doing an E85 tune at 40 PSI. I hope to make 500+ WHP on a pump retune, and 600+ on an E85 tune.

If you don't have an EGT gauge, definitely get one before you start road racing to keep an eye on the temps.

The new DBB FP Black, has been designed to accept much higher boost levels than advertised. You should be fine with 35+ boost.

You should also look into better oil such as AMSOIL. I run AMSOIL 20W-50 ARO with an AMS wet sump oil pan and a kiggly HLA. No issues to report. Life's been good

-Bink
Thanks for your post Binky

I have a Perrin 3 port solenoid and my downpipe is a modular 3" one (Mongoose I think...)
Here's a few pics of it:

Right now I don't plan to run an external waste gated setup and I will be running the can on pump fuel - Shell V-Power (99 RON).

Oil - I'm not 100% but I think my tuner uses a synthetic oil by Millers. I will need to find out the exact details of the oil.

I would like to get EGT sensor set up and displayed on my Racetechnologies Dash2 if possible. A shaft speed sensor would be nice too - I will ask Robert about a custom compressor cover.

I sent Robert@FP a message about what boost to run on my setup... this was his reply:

As long as you aren't leaking and overspeeding I would run it at about 37psi. You can run more PR in the midrange generally speaking since you aren't maxxing out the flow with only 50% of available airflow at 50% engine rpm, but as you approach 8500rpm you will want to reduce to 37psi to stay on the map, operating this way produces a virtually indefinite lifespan aside from defeating the turbo thru exceeding the thermal limits
Sounds good to me! I'm not sure my fuel system will handle that so I will have to see - I've a feeling an upgrade will be required but we will see how it fairs.

Good luck with your future mods - let us know how you get on!

Karl
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow that is a lot of boost! I would have figured that prolonged usage at such high boost levels would cause excessive EGTs.

I wonder if that is what Robert was referring to. I guess as long as you have a gauge to monitor you are all good. Sounds like fun.