Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

shell rotella t6 5w-40

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, I have used numerous oils without any issues over the years. When I used to be a build cars for a living, every customer seemed to have a preference on oil. I've never seen clear evidence of an oil brand causing a problem on a persons car. I've seen turbo oil lines coked up, but most were old and there is no way to guarantee the turbo was cooled down prior to being shutoff. I've seen sludge deposits in the pan, but most were older engines on vehicles with several owners. I would stand behind Mobile 1 if it wasn't for the issues of the new formula causing problems on the FP Red and Blacks. I haven't seen it first hand, but I'll listen to Robert and use something else.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im convinenced im going to try the rotella today when i change my oil
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
shell rotella t6 5w-40-sample.jpg
Old Jan 4, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be adding a ZDDP additive if I wanted to make sure my turbo and bearings were happy...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Im currently using this oil now guys, the car seems quieter then before and runs great! next ill be keeping a eye on oil consumption compared to the amsoil i was using previously. So far this oil is greattt from what people are saying on other forums etc, cheap, and available everywhere whats better then that
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used this oil in my 2.3l Evo as well as 2 sti swapped 2.5rs's. 1 rs had an FP Green, the other rs had a gt30r and the Evo had a hx35.

All in all I thought it was a great oil and never had any problems. I never went to the extent of getting it tested so I can't say for sure how it did in that respect. However, I'll most likely be using it once I finish my Evo 5 build.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:59 PM

I use rotella in all of the planes that I fly. If i can trust a planes internals with it then I can trust my car with it. Because inflight engine failure = emergency. Never happend and gives me ultimate conifdence in running it in my car. Been running rotella in my evo for a few months now. I switched from AMS oil. No problems at all with amsoil, I love the products, but the oil changes became much too expensive for my tastes. 75 for 5 qts and filter every 5k was rough. I know the oil and filter are good for 15k, but I switch it out early for insurance. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

I was recommended by Greg@GSC to run Rotella on the motor he built me. Said he runs it in all his motors.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Fwiw, this stuff is what we use in our 500 hp 35r powered 7.62 @ 179.. consider. That we have had a lot of motor failures and never a oil related catastrophe. This oil is doing its job for us. Nothing to rave about but its a sucess story none the less.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoLeoIX
I use rotella in all of the planes that I fly. If i can trust a planes internals with it then I can trust my car with it. Because inflight engine failure = emergency. Never happend and gives me ultimate conifdence in running it in my car. Been running rotella in my evo for a few months now. I switched from AMS oil. No problems at all with amsoil, I love the products, but the oil changes became much too expensive for my tastes. 75 for 5 qts and filter every 5k was rough. I know the oil and filter are good for 15k, but I switch it out early for insurance. Hope this helps.

x100

I used to run amsoil was getting way to expensive nothing against it, almost $100 every oil change -__- ..Rotella is great oil greattt for turbo cars just from a quick search I did on google no one had anything negative to say all great results all over the forums. Actually since I made the switch it idles quieter then when i was using amsoil. And at LESS then $30 a gallon at some stores, and its available all over the place I dont think that could be beat

Last edited by vinNybXx; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

anyone else using this oil in the winter?

also what is everyone else running in temps below 30 degrees
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vinNybXx
anyone else using this oil in the winter?

also what is everyone else running in temps below 30 degrees
I'm running this oil too, mainly cause it's good oil, and very cheap and easy to find...advance or walmart for me, a few dollars cheaper at walmart though, but at one time advance had a sale on it for like 20 bucks or something real cheap but supposedlt wont be going on sale anytime soon from what some workers told me
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

thanks man
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also read many good reviews about T6, especially Subie guys. Too bad, not many my local walmart has them.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chef-j
I also read many good reviews about T6, especially Subie guys. Too bad, not many my local walmart has them.

thats surprising, do you have a local autozone or pepboys thats where I get mine

Quick Reply: shell rotella t6 5w-40