Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Mellon Racing EVO head mysteriously lifted and the culprit has been found!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
A word of advise to all you E85 users. I would highly recommend after running a few tanks of E85 through your car to switch over and run a tank of pump gas through it. Gasoline is one of the only things that will actually clean that crap out.

As a side note, I have not seen this happen right in our area and I have heard there are other areas that seem to un-effected. I'd almost say it is a contamination in the fuel from something, maybe as Mellon says, an old diesel tank or something.

Also, I run only E98 in my car and have never seen anything but sparkling clean goodness in my fuel tank, lines, filter and injectors.

As another side note, our double pumpers use ethanol grade hose in the tank and in the wye section. The filter is also ethanol compatible.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is very good info to know if they ever get e85 in NH.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, sorry, I have a ton of respect for Chris after all this and just wanted to say that publicly. I've always liked him and we have worked well together. The crap that happened a few days ago got out of hand very quickly.

The difference between Chris and so many others is he righted the wrong. You guys all hear stories about me, you get the pissed off customer who had a failure. I can tell you guys when it's our fault I fix it. When it's not I don't. Sometimes I am stubborn and argue about it not being our fault OCCASIONALLY it has been and when it is THEN I make it right. What you guys don't hear are the guys who accused me (like this started out) and then find out it wasn't my fault at all but because they can leave me hung out to try because of my ******* reputation, they never confess to it and keep their story to save them looking like they were dumb.

Again, thank you Chris for being a stand up honest man and not just leaving this pinned on me and fixing it quietly and moving on. THAT is a man you can feel comfortable doing business with.

Good night all.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

It takes a big person to admit he was wrong, and to seek forgiveness. It can be tough to swallow one's pride.

I didn't see all the "bad stuff" thankfully, but I know and have worked with both BR and Mellon. Good guys, and I'm glad you two worked it out.

Still wish I had my Evo, which was nearly 100% BR parts and 100% Mellon tuned. Two of the best in the industry if you ask me.

-Will
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

I cried a little lol way to man up!!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Amazing story of two great business men.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:56 PM

Dave brought tears to my eyes lol j/k but honestly I'm glad you fellas worked it out and to anybody that runs e85 Dave is right a bit of pump gas here and there won't hurt I used to put it in my car once a week (full tank) and I never had a problem with gunk or clogging at all.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to check my injectors regularly because of this. I have pulled mine out before and just like Chris i have seen the same thing and didn't even know how 1 or 2 of them were even spraying they were so gunked up.... and my car is at this power level as well, 42psi daily has dynoed 789WHP etc!! One mistake at this power level and its game over quickly! And regular ol gasoline seems to be the best thing to use to clean it up. I made a pump gas map for my car JUST for this reason now lol. We get it pretty badly here in my area compared to others ive seen. But pulling the injectors out every couple thousand miles or having a pump gas map built for your car to run through every once in awhile is WELL worth it for the price and performance you get out of E85. Beats the heck out of filling up with C16 every tank
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah that sad thing is that we were going to cruise home on 93 octane because it's everywhere but I made a point to drive a little out of the way to keep it on e85. This was so that I could hit the track two days later and not have to switch the fuel type/tune etc...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

It seems that this gunk does not get filtered out by the in-tank fuel filter. Maybe that's a good place to start to find a solution. Maybe there are better filters that can filter the gunk out. It's easier to change/replace filters than to pull injectors out and clean them. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Account Disabled

here's a pic of how many q-tips it took to clean the injector as best I could.

Attached Thumbnails The Mellon Racing EVO head mysteriously lifted and the culprit has been found!-2012-01-07_15-34-26_223.jpg  
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

I am glad everything worked out
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evo1001
It seems that this gunk does not get filtered out by the in-tank fuel filter. Maybe that's a good place to start to find a solution. Maybe there are better filters that can filter the gunk out. It's easier to change/replace filters than to pull injectors out and clean them. Just my opinion.
yeah I was talking to david about that in email. I was envisioning a clear fuel filter inline near the rail that you could check on more easily. But I'm not sure if that type of filter is too fine/restrictive and going to back up the fuel pressure.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoloved
Well handled Sir....
Indeed, major props to chris at mellon.

You guys probably don't know how relieved some of us in the community are. I was not happy when I read all of that and this makes me feel much better. Thanks!

btw, lesson learned, IMO? stick to 93oct unless you don't do road trips with your baby. that's one reason why i'm not even considering E85 (not to mention the whole "not being any E85 in VA" thing)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sorry to hear about the failure Chris. but im glad you and DB are OK! its nice to have some one you know you can trust especially in your type of relationship.

hope to hear/read about your car hitting the streets soon!

g/l

Quick Reply: The Mellon Racing EVO head mysteriously lifted and the culprit has been found!