Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3 BC stroker and FP black turbo.... Is this boost flutter? Or BOV flutter? Or what?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3 BC stroker and FP black turbo.... Is this boost flutter? Or BOV flutter? Or what?

Today hooked up to wifi on my laptop and gave my tuner my teamviewer ID number and password so that he could remote connect to my laptop and retune a few things. First thing he retuned was my cold start, then increase my boost limit too 2.2bar boost and my rev limit too 8200rpms.... Now only problem is with my non-recirculated HKS SQV BOV flutter when accelerate half throttle on high boost.... From 4000rpm-7000rpm if flutter if u half throttle the accelerator... But if you full throttle it flutter a little in the lower rpms then holds boost well after.... What is the fix for this problem??? Change to a stiffer spring or do I need to get another aftermarket BOV like Tial or Forge.... Help anyone....

Also it's not like air sound fluttering when u step off the gas, the boost is not stable and goes left and right as u accelerate half throttle.... For example it starts to boost at 0.1bar the jumps too 0.4bar then back to 0.2bar then jumps to 0.6bar then back to 0.4bar then back to 0.8bar then after that it boosts more stable if You floor the accelerator and boost just flutters a little and low rpms then holds boost after... Hope this is clearer....

I have tried searching this forum but can't really find something like my case... Basically after I changed my forge acuator it was supposed to be a 1.5bar spring but when I use stock boost it was only boosting to 1bar, we then adjusted the acuator but still didn't help much, I then adjusted the profec b boost controller then finally got the boost up to 1.5 bar but if kinda flutters when boost is rising... After that I swapped my Hks BOV with a friends BOV as we suspected my BOV was leaking and tried again and my car now was boosting too 1.8++ bar... We then inspected my old BOV and seemed dirty so we cleaned it and put it back in and now it holds boost but there is the slow rpm boost fluttering when I accelerate half throttle.... Hope I have discribed this better.... Oh and I have a standalone ecu, link G4 xtreme evo plug and play using speed density
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
profec B settings could cause problems but more likely your bov spring may not be strong enough.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Get rid of the HKS BOV!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mellon Racing
profec B settings could cause problems but more likely your bov spring may not be strong enough.
I will try a stiffer BOV spring and see if the problem goes away, or what BOV do u have success with? Tial and forge BOV ok ?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Might be the BOV. are you arn't getting compressor surge?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by DJAfterShok
Might be the BOV. are you arn't getting compressor surge?
Being it is a sqv bov more then likely the bov being every one I have ever heard do it. Stiffer spring may help but pending on how stiff it is it may give him compressor surge.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Its the bov i had the same problem.on.my.rb25det and it was a.bad hks bov due to water getting in it and it wouldnt let the.boost out so.i switched to a tial
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
do you by chance have boost signal to wastegate sharing same line as BOV?
BOV must have dedicated line.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:06 AM

My bov has a dedicated line, today we added another spring in the Hks bov so it would be stiffer and it helped a little. I think I will still order a tial q bov but can someone suggest what spring I need for my application ? Do I need a custom spring or what spring set up do you guys have that have 500awhp++ evo 9, FP black with 2.3 stroker running 30psi on 93ron pump
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
do you by chance have boost signal to wastegate sharing same line as BOV?
BOV must have dedicated line.
Do u have a picture or can describe where you route the ine from the bov too. I just checked mine and there is a T fitting in mine so I will reroute my lines so the bov has a dedicated line
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem with my FP Red and tial BOV. It was so annoying. Hopefully my new setup does not do that.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ExtremeDSM
I had the same problem with my FP Red and tial BOV. It was so annoying. Hopefully my new setup does not do that.
So is this a normal problem for all larger turbo evo? I thought the tial q bov would solve everything !!!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Ive the same problem too...
Ive added spring to my Turbosmart Race Port BOV but the problem still persist.
My Turbosmart 38mm WG is also running on a dual springs with a total of 1.5 bar.

What is the problem??? Very difficult running on high speed and rpm! When high speed and rpm my boost meter kept jumping up down around 1 to 1.4 bar unless i full throttle and boost all the way on than the boost is stable at 1.6bar.
Cant full boosting all the way on highway right...

Should i reduce my WG spring rate?

Last edited by jameswwt; Jan 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:43 AM

Seems quite a few of us have this problem but not much people have a solution to this problem... Guess have to pay around with my setup some more and try the Tial Q bov and see if that works....
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nspyr
Seems quite a few of us have this problem but not much people have a solution to this problem... Guess have to pay around with my setup some more and try the Tial Q bov and see if that works....
Dam...I feel your pain.

Quick Reply: 2.3 BC stroker and FP black turbo.... Is this boost flutter? Or BOV flutter? Or what?