Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3 BC stroker and FP black turbo.... Is this boost flutter? Or BOV flutter? Or what?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not much comments of help on this subject or is this a normal problem???
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
manual and electronic boost controllers bleed air off to control boost. this is why they cant share line with BOV. BOV needs dedicated line. if line feeding BOV is leaking it wont function as intended.

BOV should get signal direct from manifold.
Boost control should get signal direct from turbo compressor cover.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jan 21, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
manual and electronic boost controllers bleed air off to control boost. this is why they cant share line with BOV. BOV needs dedicated line. if line feeding BOV is leaking it wont function as intended.

Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:31 PM

Ok thanks I will double check my decicated lines for my electronic boost controller and bov and see if it works!!!

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had a 25psi spring in my forge and now i have a turbosmart bov... both vta with dedicated lines... and both valves flutter under partial throttle... and at partial throttle your car pulses back and forth between vacuum and boost due to the volumetric efficiency of the engine versus the flow of boost from the turbo... basically you bov is reacting to the changing pressure and its completely normal unless you are doing under WOT... then you have an issue...

sorry i only skimmed the post. best of luck...

p.s. both of my valve have held well into 30psi range of boost WOT with no flutter and no leaking. even pressure tested with a air hose several times to check for leaks and no issues.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Same issue here after switching to SD and TS Raceport. No issues when I was on MAF and APS Dual Port.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Revobasher
Same issue here after switching to SD and TS Raceport. No issues when I was on MAF and APS Dual Port.
Anyone else have any more info ? Is this the norm for people that have high hp running speed density ?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:54 PM

I know this is for CT9A's but this sounds like a general question with Evos. My turbosmart would flutter and it would make my CZ4A bog when I had my turbosmart boost controller and turbosmart dual port. I switched out my boost controller and went with a GS 3-port solenoid, the bogging issue went away. When I switched out to the FP Black, the bogging came back.

It's not the BOV issue, it's just a set up issue in my opinion. You just have to mix and match until you find the combination it likes. If you don't want to.. just go back to stock bpv.

I just got sick of the bogging, went to the stock bpv(crushed), upgraded wastegate, and 3-port boost solenoid, drives smooth as butter and holds 32psi till redline.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

My 71Hta flutters a bit under wot in lower rpm ranges, but I am on the 64mm cover and get a little compressor surge.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone been able to resolve the BOV flutter?
I have a FP black, 2.3 stroker, 18psi FP wastegate and a dedicated boost line from the intake manifold to the bov.
I have tried the 7psi spring and the 9psi spring w/ shim with not resolution. The only difference with the softer spring is that the flutter was less violent.
Emailed Tial, and they said,
"that isn't the bov, that is the turbo in a surge condition.
it occurs anytime you try to shove more air into the engine than the engine can take.
spring doesn't have anything to do with it - that would only be for lift off surge"
Old Jun 20, 2017, 02:07 AM

Expreincing the same issues with flutter after a gear change and getting back on with partial throttle or WOT. Turbo is sized between FP red and black (JP Turbo), 2.4L, HKS SSQV
Old Jun 20, 2017, 02:08 AM

I have found the same issues with flutter after a gear change and getting back on with partial throttle or WOT. Turbo is sized between FP red and black (JP Turbo), 2.4L, HKS SSQV. Any resolution to this problem yet?