Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How Can I change from internal to external wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Can I change from internal to external wastegate?

So my buddy just picked up a 06 evo ix has full tbe and is running on stock internal wastegate.

My question is what is the easiest way he can swap from internal to a external wastegate?

Iv read that a few ppl pull off the turbo and weld the wastegate shut I also heard others put a downpipe that just seals it shut- any of these ideas good?

I lean more towards pulling turbo off- but he doesn't want to do a lot of work to the car

Lmk guys
Thanks !!!!

Last edited by turbodreamz21; Jan 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Fairly Easy. I would just get an O2 dump. Weld the internal flapper open and cut the dump tube about an inch from the flange, weld on a Tial 38mm MVS and re attach the dump tube to the other end of the Tial 38mm MVS.

This is exactly what I did on my car and I made 750whp on a FP Black. Must be working

Mikey
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Couldn't u just weld the internal shut and run a Turbo manifold that has a attachment for a Wastegate?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Bump is there another way other then pullin off turbo and welding the internal shut
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by turbodreamz21
Couldn't u just weld the internal shut and run a Turbo manifold that has a attachment for a Wastegate?
Yes. You would ruin the twinscroll of it all but that will work. ETS was selling a dual wastegate stock turbo manifold a little while ago because the customer backed out. Unsurprisingly, they had a hard time selling it because of how much it cost. At that point, might as well get a T4 setup.

You can also just run an external downstream of your internal with the wastegate outlet seperate from exhaust.

Last edited by nollij; Jan 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

^is the stock evo 9 a twin scroll setup that welding the internal gate closed mess it up
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
You can also just run an external downstream of your internal with the wastegate outlet seperate from exhaust.
This is what we recommend, we tested it and removing the internal flapper did result in significantly slower spool. Keep the internal actuator in place with a straight boost source and run a second boost source with boost controller to the external wastegate

http://www.maperformance.com/map-com...-cg40-o2h.html
The following users liked this post:
autolove (Nov 9, 2023)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

^ And that is exactly what I made for my car.

Mikey
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
...Keep the internal actuator in place....]
The stock wastegate actuator assembly IS "external". Only the flapper valve could be considered to be located "internally". You meant to write internal flapper valve, right?

Last edited by sparky; Jan 20, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's just my view but, the use of a setup such as the one Mikey and Chris are referring to may be slight overkill on a totally stock, and unported IX 16G turbo which is what the OP is asking about. This type of setup makes more sense on a full tilt, stock looking upgrade turbo such as the the Black, or the EF4, configured with relatively large wheels inside the stock housings.

For me you would be wasting your time and money installing the above described setups on the stock IX turbo. I am not taking anything away from the MAP unit. Theoretically at least, these setups have their place in more extreme applications. It just might be a little out of place on a totally stock 16G on a stock block motor. Just my O2 though.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 20, 2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

So generally speaking - pointless to go to a external wastegate setup on a stock ix turbo?

He mostly wants to do it cuz he loved the sound of external dump.

I figured you could remove ix turbo weld the flapper shut then just run a turbo manifold that had attachment for a external wastegate

Will the turbo be hurt or performance if the internal flapper gets welded shut ?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Pointless, kind of. The stock turbo doesn't flow the ammount of airflow to really increase boost out the top regardless of what wastegate setup you have. This type of setup will help but in order to hold more boost out the top you will need a huge boost sprike (freeboost). You also need to know, just because your boost is higher out the top doesn't mean you will make more power. Over spinning a turbo creates a lot of heat and will hurt power.

The OP should just get a normal 02 dump and keep the internal flapper. Just preload the actuator to help it hold more boost out the top. You can also, if on meth or E85, induce boost creep to help top end power. Just watch the tq numbers if you are on the stock block.

My .02 cents

Mikey
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sparky
The stock wastegate actuator assembly IS "external". Only the flapper valve could be considered to be located "internally". You meant to write internal flapper valve, right?
Nope, I recommend leaving the internal flapper and the corresponding actuator in place with a direct boost source to keep the twin scroll effect. But yes I agree with you on a stock turbo this would be overkill.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbodreamz21
Will the turbo be hurt or performance if the internal flapper gets welded shut ?
You would have to do a manifold mounted external wastegate (or two depending on how you do it) but in that scenario no it would not hurt performance.

Quick Reply: How Can I change from internal to external wastegate?