Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

gear oil and other fluids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear oil and other fluids

Just curious on what everyone was using. I was going to go with the Redline MT-90 and 75W90 since its readily available, but just heard about additives needed to add to it or something? Also seen of troubles with the oils, but they have seemed good to me in the past. Can anyone feel me in on what they prefer and had good luck with, along with where to get it and how much.thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Re: gear oil and other fluids

Originally posted by evoego
Just curious on what everyone was using. I was going to go with the Redline MT-90 and 75W90 since its readily available, but just heard about additives needed to add to it or something? Also seen of troubles with the oils, but they have seemed good to me in the past. Can anyone feel me in on what they prefer and had good luck with, along with where to get it and how much.thanks.
Well in Europe they use Castrol Universal Syntex for the gear box and Castrol LS 90 for the diffs.

Trying to find it here in the US is tough.

Redline seems to be a good product that everyone is using.

Eric
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:39 AM

I would like to have the Castrol myself now that you mentioned it. I fya find it let me know, I want in on it. Have you changed your factory yet?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

I would like to have the Castrol myself now that you mentioned it. I fya find it let me know, I want in on it. Have you changed your factory yet?
Yes I did do the Castrol oils. I got them from my ex girlfriend in germany. She shipped them to me.

Eric
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:44 AM

cool so if you hadnt have gotten those then you would have done the redline I take it? what else is really out their besides royal purple, etc? does Lucas make a gear oil? have you changed the shifteror anything?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

cool so if you hadnt have gotten those then you would have done the redline I take it? what else is really out their besides royal purple, etc? does Lucas make a gear oil? have you changed the shifteror anything?
No I would still find the Castol stuff. I would call around until I was blue in the face to find it .
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Redline and it has been working great for me so far. Improved the shifting quite a bit.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:49 AM

bump
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:03 AM

my 10 cents

I run Amzoil 10 30 in the engine, Amzoil Racing Gear Oil in the Tranny and Transfer Case, 75 90. I use stock Mits fluid for the rear end, since its synthetic anyway. I have used Redline, Mobil, Royal Purple in gearboxes in previous cars, and I have found the Amzoil to shift the smoothest.

United We Stand
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:05 AM

cool so where/can you get theamzoil cheap and about how much ? thanks
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use BG SynchroShift I for the tranny, Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof for the differentials and 2oz of Redline LSD Aditive in the rear diff. Superz and a few DSM friends recommended this combo. Love it.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 05:46 PM

cool so where/can you get theamzoil cheap and about how much ? thanks
Amsoil's marketing is such that most resellers sell at a set rate. There is minimal, if any, price differences between resellers. You can order directly from the company if you want to bypass the reseller portion.

On that page the Group III XL-7500 10w-30 is 5.20, the Group IV ATM is 5.85. Likewise, G-III 75w-90 gear is 7.65 and G-IV Series 2000 is 9.20.

Group III oils are based upon highly refined crude, while Group IV is a liquid oil made from gaseous molecules stuck together (simple definitions).

ferb!
Old Jan 17, 2004, 07:13 PM

cool so which of these do you recommend the most.thanx.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ferb

Amsoil's marketing is such that most resellers sell at a set rate. There is minimal, if any, price differences between resellers. You can order directly from the company if you want to bypass the reseller portion.

On that page the Group III XL-7500 10w-30 is 5.20, the Group IV ATM is 5.85. Likewise, G-III 75w-90 gear is 7.65 and G-IV Series 2000 is 9.20.

Group III oils are based upon highly refined crude, while Group IV is a liquid oil made from gaseous molecules stuck together (simple definitions).

ferb!
I hear nothing but good things about Amsoil oils. But little turned off of it because everytime you do a internet search you are always lead back the Amsoil directly. They some kind of hold on all the infromation about their products. Not say it's not good oil but just want a real life user to have somthing brake with Amsoil in it and find out if it was because of the Amsoil braking down or because Just part failer.

Eric
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:17 AM

The additive that you have heard about is for the rear LSD. Redline makes differential fluid with the additive already in it, so nothing further is needed. The additive can be used with regular or synthetic fluids that don't already contain it. It is a friction modifier. Straight synthetic is too slippery and the LSD will not function properly. By using the fluid that already contains it, or adding to fluid that doesn't, you insure proper operation of your LSD, not to mention extending its life.

Adios,

Fusoguy

Quick Reply: gear oil and other fluids